Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shutterbug Review?!?!

I received the June 2014 issue of Shutterbug today and was completely dumbfounded to find that NOT ONCE did they mention the K3 ability to simulate AA filter with sensor shake reduction technology! Probably its most groundbreaking feature!

Now I am fairly new to Shutterbug so don't really know its' reputation. But this really undercuts my confidence in the publication.

05-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not too familiar with them, though it does sound like a big omission. With that said, as cool as the AA filter thing is, it's probably overlooked by lots of users in practice. So perhaps their review was geared toward a more mainstream audience
05-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I stopped subscribing to Shutterbug years ago because it was nothing but a monthly book of advertisements. Perhaps they've changed, perhaps not...
05-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I stopped subscribing to Shutterbug years ago because it was nothing but a monthly book of advertisements. Perhaps they've changed, perhaps not...
I don't buy any magazines for exactly that reason.
I refuse to pay for someone else's advertising.

05-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If I was to rely on camera reviews for buying my camera. I would have never bought Pentax K-5 " II ".

1. ALL - I mean all reviews mentioned K-5II is not much of an upgrade to K-5.

2. The Pentax has limited scope of lenses. Same old blah!

Its as if reviewers jobs were to make Pentax look bad.

I know a of a photography publications which would PURPOSELY ignore Pentax launches etc.

Here:

Check out this website: Camera reviews, DSLR reviews, lens reviews, photography guides | Cameralabs

NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF PENTAX!
05-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
It served a purpose before the Internet became commercialized. Now, not so much...
05-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, for those that don't buy magazines because of the advertising, do you pay for cable or satellite TV? Same thing. Advertising helps defray costs and keeps prices lower. I'm old enough to remember want cable TV started up. The lure was that the programs would all be advertisement free.

Shutterbug was always a magazine that was more devoted to collectors than users. It was also for pros and amateurs looking for gear etc. To spice it up they also have articles and reviews. In the pre internet days it was about the only way to find that hard to find or unique item you needed. It was also a bit of a price guide too. I always purchased it FOR the advertisements. A very inexpensive way to find what you wanted. They often had some very good articles about the history of various cameras, films etc as a bonus.

05-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Shutterbug was always a magazine that was more devoted to collectors than users. It was also for pros and amateurs looking for gear etc. In the pre internet days it was about the only way to find that hard to find or unique item you needed
For a long time they had an eBay store that did the same thing. Haven't seen any Pentax cameras there - or even seen a Shutterbug Auction - in a while though.
05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shutterbug still around? I have not seen a copy in a long time. It's page count was in decline before I stopped reading it. It was more about advertising than anything else. I used it to track down old lenses.

I stopped getting it just before the Editor, Bob Shell, killed (manslaughter) that young Franklin girl. The publicity from the drugs, bondage, and May-December relationship aspects to the killing also hurt the magazine.
05-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Here:

Check out this website: Camera reviews, DSLR reviews, lens reviews, photography guides | Cameralabs

NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF PENTAX!
Now be fair - they reviewed the K20D in May 2008.

Seriously, that's the last new Pentax review. Must be a story there.
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

People used to buy Shutterbug FOR the advertising -- that's where you'd find the best deals (pre-internet) on gear, photo paper etc (mostly from NYC). There were many mags like that for different niches -- the old computer mag BYTE was the size of a phone book every month -- mostly ads.
05-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #12

The Pentax K-3 review in the June issue is actually pretty fast for them. Usually it's closer to 10-12 months until they get a camera review published...just about the time that model is obsolete and replaced by the next generation. Shutterbug really doesn't have a lot to offer. Their Digital Photography Help section seems to always be filled only with people who have issues getting their home inkjet prints to look like what they see on their computer screen. And the answer is always the same...calibrate your stuff. Maybe that's the only thing their tech guy knows about. He certainly doesn't understand that the CPU in a computer can make a big difference in how quickly images can be edited.

Oh well. I let my subscription lapse last year, and a few months later re-subscribed when they offered me two or three years for $10 (total). Once in a while there is something worth reading in there, but not often.
05-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ok my bad :P

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Now be fair - they reviewed the K20D in May 2008.
No but seriously!

Check out this post - It is a proof how blatantly publishers ignore Pentax!

It is the same day Pentax K-3 was launched and look at this FStoppers post. People even complain on Facebook that they did not post about K-3.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151669967583244&set=a.101503187155...type=1&theater

Cheers!
05-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, for those that don't buy magazines because of the advertising, do you pay for cable or satellite TV? Same thing. Advertising helps defray costs and keeps prices lower.
I don't mind advertisements. My point was that Shutterbug was ALL advertisements. Far worse than BYTE, which also had good, in-depth technical articles. I recall at least three or four Shutterbug issues in a row that had absolutely nothing of substance, editorial-wise. I couldn't see wasting any more money on a subscription. Must have been in the late '90s or so.
05-03-2014, 05:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't read Shutterbug lately. Claims that they don't review Pentax is wrong. Did a quick search and found:
K-30 June 2013. Knew I had read this. Joe Farace seems very fair to Pentax in the reviews I have seen.
K-01 Jan. 2013.
K5 body Oct 2011
MX-1 Jan 2014.

Thanks
barondla

Enter the Point & Shoot Competition in the compact camera forum. Any brand camera is allowed.