Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #16

Nikon offers already 2 bodies - what Sony tries to achieve with one: The Nikons D5300 and the D7100. Most probably they will do some model care for both in the future. The only gamechanger in the APS-C market and for certain users, could be the since long expected Fujifilm X-pro2. What is noticable almost all brands try to clean out there lineup of bodies in favour of new lenses.

05-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cleffa Quote
Yeah I agree, spec wise it seems they are direct competitors, but looking at them beyond specs, they are cameras from two very different systems. EVF vs OVF, Carl Zeiss branding Minolta design optics vs Limiteds, among other differences such as body design, WR, target audience/users, etc. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Just by looking at the lens lineup:

Sony perhaps has a more comprehensive lens lineup that are current and in production compared to Pentax unless you go hunt for second hand or new old stock F/FA lenses. But still I don't think you can find a handheld able 70-400mm telephoto zoom or a 300mm F2.8...
Pentax's lens lineup will be quite surprisingly different by this autumn.

QuoteQuote:
But very interested to see what Nikon's reaction is or would react at all, after seeing Pentax and Sony entering the high-end APS-C market and the Canon 7D II rumoured to be out in near future.
Their answer will be a D800 replacement. There is only one way for Nikon, and that is to drive sales of the FF lenses.
05-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax's lens lineup will be quite surprisingly different by this autumn.

Their answer will be a D800 replacement. There is only one way for Nikon, and that is to drive sales of the FF lenses.
Well if you believe rumors then supposedly there's a D7100 replacement and possibly a replacement for the D300s in the form of the D9300.

What to expect from Nikon in the next few months | Nikon Rumors

Of course, people have been saying that a D300s replacement would be coming for quite a while now so take it with a big grain of salt.
05-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by WaveDancer Quote
Nikon offers already 2 bodies - what Sony tries to achieve with one: The Nikons D5300 and the D7100. Most probably they will do some model care for both in the future. The only gamechanger in the APS-C market and for certain users, could be the since long expected Fujifilm X-pro2. What is noticable almost all brands try to clean out there lineup of bodies in favour of new lenses.
Nikon tries to put D7100 as top of their DX line but when you look at buffer size which a lot of professional sports / wildlife photographers look at it's quite limiting compared to their D300s. Imo the D7000/D7100 are the successors of the D70/80/90 line only which is the direct competitor to Canon's 60D/70D line, and Pentax's K-5 / K-5 IIs, not 7D or K3. D5200 / 5300 are direct competitors to Canon's 650D / 700D and Pentax's K30 / K50; D3200 / 3300 to 100D / 1200D and Pentax's K500

But it's interesting to see how the K-3 entering the market stirs up other manufacturers intention to re-evaluate and take the high-end APSC market more seriously. Even though K-3 may not be for everyone since it's a Pentax and not Canon Nikon, one cannot deny that the possibility of having a 7D II or A77 II or D400 / D9300 or whatever is partly due to the present of Pentax K-3 in the first place. Hence the introduction of K-3 eventually benefits consumers overall

05-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote
Well if you believe rumors then supposedly there's a D7100 replacement and possibly a replacement for the D300s in the form of the D9300.

Of course, people have been saying that a D300s replacement would be coming for quite a while now so take it with a big grain of salt.
What does it matter if Nikon comes with this or that? Pentax had a luck to come first with a machine based on the new Fujitsu processor and that is why it took some laurels. Whenever Nikon comes with their mid range crop DSLR, it will have same processor. It has always been like that.
What matters to Pentax users is that some interesting lenses are to come and I hope sleepy Ricoh won't hold them forever; they could have gained much better momentum with the K-3 if they have issued one new lens in February. But instead they've got an interview with Sigma spread around globe explaining to everybody why Sigma is not making as many lenses for Pentax as people would want to.
When looking at marketing "actions" of Ricoh, I am speechless. If that was not a perfect time to dispel darkness and announce a new lens themselves ... Well, I am wasting my keyboard anyway.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-04-2014 at 12:37 AM.
05-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I think the release of the A77 II is a brilliant move on Sony's part, because they're just not going to be able to convince all their wedding photographers (as well as many others) to move to the A7 series.

The A77 II re-affirms their commitment to the Alpha mount - at least for now. And of course almost all of their top lenses (including some of the best FF lenses in the world) are in this mount. It's reasonable to expect another FF model will follow. They have to support this mount for at least a few more years, because without it they have almost nothing to offer the serious photographer! And if they abandon it any sooner than about 10 years from now, I'll personally be mad, because no one else makes a lens that matches a few of them (e.g. Sony Zeiss AF 135/1.8).
05-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dborked Quote

Could be. Camera companies are always "leap frogging" each other. At the same time, it is pretty clear to me that Nikon will not come out with a truly top end APS-C camera, because they would be afraid it would cut into full frame sales.
05-04-2014, 02:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Could be. Camera companies are always "leap frogging" each other. At the same time, it is pretty clear to me that Nikon will not come out with a truly top end APS-C camera, because they would be afraid it would cut into full frame sales.
I don't think so, because those buyers (of the rumored D9300) will largely purchase quality lenses (mostly FF) - which ultimately is what matters most to Nikon.

And if Canon finally releases a "7D Mk II" Nikon will really have no choice, or they will lose too many customers to them.

Sales of many APS-C cameras are hot, with new lines even coming out. The APS-C sensor is the right product for many photographers, and many other companies are taking this format seriously. Fuji is building a great line on APS-C, and even Leica's new T system uses this sensor size. Canon and Nikon will lose sales if they don't release these cameras. Fortunately Sony has realized this already!

Last edited by DSims; 05-04-2014 at 03:07 AM.
02-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #24

At the moment I'm weighing up the pros & cons of these two. Have had a k5 but contemplating switching to Sony A77ii. Here's what matters to me;

Weight : Sony lighter but you would have to carry more batteries because:
Battery life : longer for K5 (OVF)
SD Cards : K3 (2SD's) has a major plus over the A77 (1SD), I like being able to back up images
Handling : plusses & minuses. Prefer 4 way controller of Pentax to joystick on Sony. Prefer button placement on Sony.
VF : Personal preference. Really like seeing realtime exposure on EVF. Haven't got strong attachment to OVF
Lenses : depends on what you want to do. Both have the lenses I want. More 3rd party options for Sony. More weather sealed available for Pentax.
Pentax do seem to me to charge excessive prices for some of their DA lenses which can't cover a full frame sensor (e.g the 60-250). I am aware that even the best APS lens cannot equal the resolving power of the worst comparable full frame one (look at DXOmark)
Build : The K3 feels like it could be knocked around more
The K3 has a couple of control quirks that I don't like.
1) Mirror lock up is in the drive mode menu & can only be combined with bracketing using the self timer rather than a remote. See:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/287843-camera-sh...live-view.html.
That's an important one for me. The A77 also combines these in the same menu but has a fixed mirror so there's no mirror shake. It also has an optional electronic front shutter, minimizing shutter shock

2) The USER functions only reset themselves when the camera is switched off & on (fairly minor).

Well, those are my thoughts. My preference is to buy both & trade them both one day for a Nikon D810 (or maybe a Pentax equivalent!)

Last edited by sdgreen; 02-08-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: spelling