Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Four-way Pad in Manual AF Mode

This past week I was shooting a softball game and needed to set the AF points to only the central batch. However, in doing that, I could not figure out how to then use the four-way buttons to adjust white balance and shooting color space afterward (without first going back to auto AF selection on all AF points.) That ended up being VERY frustrating as I had to change WB a few times and I also bumped the four-way buttons and changed the AF area (causing me to miss a series of shots.) Any idea on how to back out to the main screen after selecting a smaller active AF area?

05-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

You toggle with the button at the right bottom corner/Lars

(You also get indiction on back screen and in view finder in which mode you are in! In viewfinder selection of focusing point are shown on the left lower row.)

Last edited by Lars; 05-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.
05-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is confusing. Here is my understanding after two weeks ownership:

Change AF Point toggle (button at bottom right corner)
  • Only enabled when AF point is set to "Select"
  • Toggles the four-way controller between "normal" and "Change AF Point" modes
  • When in "Change AF Point" mode allows selection of the focus point using the four-way controller
AF Point(s)
  • Available options:
    • Auto (27)
    • Auto (9)
    • Select
    • Spot
  • Accessible through:
    • AF Mode button (front above AF/MF switch)
    • Control Panel (info button)
    • Changed using rear control dial for both of the above
  • Selection status is visible:
    • Rear LCD
    • Viewfinder
    • Top LCD
What makes thing hard is that I have large hands and have accidentally toggled to "Change AF Point" with the heel of my thumb. Ditto for the four-way controller

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-04-2014 at 08:42 AM.
05-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #4
Forum Member

You can also use toggle button when in 9 point AF (S and C) and moving this 9-point area within the 25 cross focus points. /Lars

05-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
You can also use toggle button when in 9 point AF (S and C) and moving this 9-point area within the 25 cross focus points. /Lars
Cool! Now that is interesting and potentially very useful! It was not very clear in the manual and now it is. Thanks!

Steve

---------- Post added 05-04-14 at 11:45 AM ----------

I seldom use AF-C, but there are additional options there as well.

Steve
05-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Yeah, this is my least favorite feature of the K-3. (I've been lucky to not have any mirror flap issues, not sure if it is my camera or that I vigilantly watch the battery's power level and change sooner than I would have on my K-7)

Moving my right thumb to click the AF-point select button is not so nice. Its just not so fast as the old K7 method of using the OK button in the 4-way control to toggle AF-point selection. In my hands, it feels much less ergonomic. It reminds me of how my thumb has to bend significantly to use the keypad on my Samsung phone- cramped. In addition, I think the grip when using the OK button is much more solid than the new 4-way control. Much rather have the option to:

a) disengage that button entirely for AF-selection
b) use the old K7 method (press the OK button to toggle)
c) use the Fx button. This method would be ideal for me as I don't really care for any of the current Fx options and I always shoot RAW or RAW+, so I don't have any use for it as a RAW button. Moving my thumb from the side of the lens barrel to the Fx button is much more natural and allows the rest of the hand to cradle the lens. Besides, it would allow me to keep a very good grip on the camera body along.

A firmware update should be able to give us these options.
05-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Lars, thank you. I feel like a doofus.Literally, that was the ONLY button I didn't try.