Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With a K30 in hand, even though it's white, I'd go with several lenses. I feel the reason to upgrade a body should be because of better performances and features (I kept my K20D for 6 years before getting the K-3). The K-5 II is not enough of an upgrade over the excellent K30 I feel. The K-3 is a real upgrade but not important enough IMHO.

You'll improve your photographic skills much more by using higher grade penses.

05-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
With a K30 in hand, even though it's white, I'd go with several lenses. I feel the reason to upgrade a body should be because of better performances and features (I kept my K20D for 6 years before getting the K-3). The K-5 II is not enough of an upgrade over the excellent K30 I feel. The K-3 is a real upgrade but not important enough IMHO. You'll improve your photographic skills much more by using higher grade penses.
I can respect this. At this moment I'm searching for the three amigos, (second hand) and hopefully in the not too distant future I can acquire the DA* 60-250 or even the less expensive DA 15 on the wide end. I am tired of kit lenses though.
05-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I can respect this. At this moment I'm searching for the three amigos, (second hand) and hopefully in the not too distant future I can acquire the DA* 60-250 or even the less expensive DA 15 on the wide end. I am tired of kit lenses though.
I still use the kit lens when I need a compact WR setup. Otherwise I don't use it.

The 60-250 is an expensive lens, but clearly one of my most-used now. It's really an amazing piece of glass.
05-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It may also have a lot to do with the fact that I'm the only Pentax user in class. That by itself makes you stand out.
Hmm, most photographers I've met actually WANT to stand out from the crowd. Witness the Canon shooters with their big, WHITE lenses...

05-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #20

Original Poster
Yeah compact is nice but here in sunny Los Angeles I've once to really need the WR feature. Maybe someday when traveling.

By the way, I'm also the only one in class with WR!
05-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to be taken seriously you need to get a K-50 or a Q with a pink and aqua color scheme.

But all you really need is to produce good images, of course.
05-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Witness the Canon shooters with their big, WHITE lenses...
See this shows I haven't been around enough photographers yet, I never seen a white lens. Though I vaguely recall hearing about them.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you want to be taken seriously you need to get a K-50 or a Q with a pink and aqua color scheme.
and all my shooting would be indoors!(lmao)

Honestly once I start shooting I forget what color it is. It's more of an excuse if anything. I know this because the thoughts of color are ALWAYS followed by, "I need to buy a K-3!"
05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I keep wanting to tell you to get a A or M 100/2.8 (non-macro), even though another 100 looks like the last thing you need. But your macros really render images differently. It's one of the "budget 3 amigos" that gives a similar feeling to the FA77.

I'd suggest you keep looking at images taken with the lenses you're considering. My favorite sites for this are:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model
Pentax smc P-FA 28-105mm F3.2-4.5 AL IF Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
Advanced Search

05-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #24

Original Poster
Well DSims I'm almost always open to suggestions. If I can snag it reasonably I will. I honestly couldn't knock it without trying it.

Though I come with corny questions and comments I would like to say that I do love photography and take it seriously, wanting to go as far as I can in it.

Also, I know that taking a few classes doesn't make me a genius and you taking the time to help me out is more than just appreciated. The collective wisdom of this forum far surpasses that which I could obtain through any amount shooting I could possibly do alone. That's why you'll never see me arguing on here.

I've noticed earlier that you in So Cal as well. Cool!
Anyway thank very much, you are a big help!

And thanks for the links.
05-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Not sure I'll be helpful, but here goes...

Of your original two alternatives I'd get the 31. That said I would actually get neither. Of the three amigos I find the 31 to be the least interesting. For me something a bit wider is more useful (but instead of the wonderful and big(!) FA*24 I have the more compact DA21 and FA28). I really like the FA43, and could well change my DA70 for the FA77 one day (but the 70 is already way better than I am, so I probably won't).

I think you should also consider the DA15. Beautiful lens for its use.

And keep your K30 for now unless you really, really lust for the K-3. Better lenses will do more for your pictures than a new body. Unless not having the latest and greatest is important for your inspiration. And for some people it is. For me new glass is inspiring, even if what I already have is perfectly good enough, really.
05-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think you should also consider the DA15. Beautiful lens for its use.
100% positively on my map and trust and believe it won't end with the Amigos. I want to try as much things Pentax as possible. I've already been convinced that the new body thing was nonsense. My K-30 hasn't let me down yet.
But back to the Amigos, I want to start with them to avoid all the "could of; should of; would ofs. It would suck to be thinking how much better something might be while shooting. I never used one and from what I've been gathering, one has got to learn the FA43 still I'm up to that, more reasons to shoot right?
Is there a certain reason for your lack of interest in the FA 31?
I've been looking at DA Ltds but I personally find their smaller size intimidating being I have brick hands. The DA 40 is scariest of all. Once again though, I see the DA 15 as a must have.
The FA 28 is something I do want to check out eventually.
It'll be easy for me to live without the Sigma 30, the only Sigma I'm dying to try(not buy)is the Bigma.
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

100% positively on my map and trust and believe it won't end with the Amigos. I want to try as much things Pentax as possible. I've already been convinced that the new body thing was nonsense. My K-30 hasn't let me down yet.
But back to the Amigos, I want to start with them to avoid all the "could of; should of; would ofs. It would suck to be thinking how much better something might be while shooting. I never used one and from what I've been gathering, one has got to learn the FA43 still I'm up to that, more reasons to shoot right?
I've been looking at DA Ltds but I personally find their smaller size intimidating being I have brick hands. The DA 40 is scariest of all. Once again though, I see the DA 15 as a must have.
It'll be easy for me to live without the Sigma 30, the only Sigma I'm dying to try(not buy)is the Bigma.
I agree with your philosophy - since you're looking for results, and want to really learn - it's better to go for the good stuff. There's certainly virtue in learning with some old MF lenses, for example, but you don't want to be still messing around with only cheap stuff 2 years from now.

If you study photos taken with the lenses before purchasing them, and then compare to how they work for you, by your third or fourth lens you'll be able to predict with 80-90% accuracy whether you'd like a lens without actually using it. When I buy a new lens (which I rarely need to do anymore) I already know largely how to use it (character, apertures to use) the first time I put it on the camera.
05-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
you don't want to be still messing around with only cheap stuff 2 years from now.
Agreed!
The only reason lenses have been slow coming for me, is I bought the K-30 during my first film class about a year ago(shooting a Nikon 35mm) and most of my money was going to film equipment and supplies. I just started digital in February and it's sad to say that while being distracted with learning to shoot different film formats, I didn't even notice the K-3 was released until just after this class started. (I get more than a little obsessed with the task at hand) So of course my initial response was:
"Oh crap!!! I need a K-3!!!"
When it comes to trying something new, I'm the poor fool who "TRIED IT AT HOME!!!" But I've been pretty lucky so far and haven't blown up too much.
05-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #29
Site Supporter

First off, going straight for the lenses you really want is good thinking. No problem with that.

I didn't find the 43 very hard to "learn", no different from most other lenses I have used. But, yes, learning the strengths and weaknesses of each lens is part of the fun

Maybe the main reason I have for not getting the 31 is that I, unlike you, prefer small lenses, even with my rather big hands. Maybe it's not that big a lens, but I wouldn't really know until I get to try one. Which is hard to do where I live - Pentax doesn't have a huge presence here (either).

I know I'll never get any of the DA* zooms; they are just too big and thus would be left at home, no matter how good they are.

One of the *300 lenses would be wonderful for wildlife photography, but again the size penalty is a bit much. Especially since giving up the zoom would mean a second body (but I suppose a good mirrorless, even a GR, could do the job).

My obsessing over the size of lenses/systems comes from being on foot 95 % of my time with camera in hand.

Ok, end of rant
05-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
One of the *300 lenses would be wonderful for wildlife photography, but again the size penalty is a bit much. Especially since giving up the zoom would mean a second body (but I suppose a good mirrorless, even a GR, could do the job).
I don't think you know how often one of theses lenses is useful until you have one. While I enjoy wildlife, I don't do much overt 'wildlife' photography - yet I use my F*300 a lot.