Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I for fa 31 with any camera!

05-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you Savoche for elaborating more. You had me wondering about the 31 for a minute.

And speaking of wildlife, my avatar was shot with my DA 50-200. It was the only time I tried shooting birds in flight so far and though a little challenging for me at first. (You guys probably would have died laughing if you saw me.) My fat butt was literally trying to chase the birds until it just dawned on me that "this isn't working!" But still, it was fun enough for me to want a DA* 60-250, at least! (as in focal length, but only one zoom) Using the couple of primes I have makes me want to depart from zooms and focus more on primes.

Once again about the K-3, it looks like I'm waiting for the next flagship.

I've always wanted to ask: would shooting birds with a prime lens be harder?
05-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
That is a valid point. The main reasons for wanting to upgrade is:

1) I want to a body that can accept a grip. I shoot vertical a lot and want to try one for at least awhile.

2) I've grown tired of having a white body.

3) I've been scheming and saving wanting to get a K-3 and the three FA Ltds, finally I just learned today that more than likely I'll be getting only half the money I've been waiting on. My mind is telling me to get a K-3, but in my heart I know lenses are more important. Everybody's replies here also confirms this. The K-5IIs was more of an option for settling, forgetting all about my "VERY DEPENDABLE" K-30. So I'll start leaning more toward multiple lenses and skip the body for now.
When something it's bugging you, it's bugging you. If you need the camera, get it.
05-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
When something it's bugging you, it's bugging you. If you need the camera, get it.
I hear you, and thanks for you concern!
I'm still eventually going to get a camera. I just know deep down lenses are where it's at. So instead of trying to do both, I'll settle for lenses for now.

05-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I have all three plus the A50 1.2 and don't use them as the Tamron 70-200 works for what I do. Take your time and don't stress like I did because I didn't know I needed all three after coming back after a 12-year break(actually, I was in Japan when they debuted and balked at the prices because the Yen was 190 to the Dollar in 1990). I bought the AIV's then the MIJ's and now the original run in silver.

I'll purchase the new HD 15/21, maybe the FA 24 2.0 to go along with the FA85 1.4 that's on it's way.
05-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #36

Original Poster
Once again, sound advice!
If things go as planned I should be able to buy before this weekend. Hopefully Wednesday, but I don't want to make a decision in haste, my mind has changed a few times since my last post.

And about stressing, you must be psychic!
05-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I hear you, and thanks for you concern!
I'm still eventually going to get a camera. I just know deep down lenses are where it's at. So instead of trying to do both, I'll settle for lenses for now.
You want the camera so you'll buy the lens ?
05-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #38

I agree with most of whats said here.

Go for the lenses. I love my K-3, but again, the jump from your K-30 to the K-3 isn't going to do as much as upgrading glass.

I chose upgrading bodies over lenses when I went from the K-7 to the K-3. The extra 3 stops of performance was, in my mind, better than going from the 18-55 to the 16-50 or even the new 20-40. Those extra 3 stops mean that I can reliably increase my ISO without sacrificing so much image quality.

But the K-30, with the sensor it has? Go for the lenses!

05-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #39

Original Poster
I know for sure I'm ordering a FA 31 Ltd Thursday, I'm currently trying to figure out the rest.

Let me better explain the situation:
I was told I'm to receive a substantial amount of money almost two months ago. So of course I start planning the ultimate kit. (K-3 , FA31 and some others) Then a week ago I was told I'd get it sometime this week, but it's a little less than half the original amount.

Though I'm still happy with getting anything at all, I had a brief moment of "LBA panic" and started this post.
"I thought the world was ending, SORRY!!!" all I could think was "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!"

After a few comments in this thread and a few moments of rational thought, I immediately recalled how the same white K-30 is giving me results that rivals or in many cases betters the results of my Nikon/Canon toting classmates, and this has to do more with technique and style. So for now I'll go with quality lenses and get the most out of my less than year old white K-30.
05-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

After a few comments in this thread and a few moments of rational thought, I immediately recalled how the same white K-30 is giving me results that rivals or in many cases betters the results of my Nikon/Canon toting classmates, and this has to do more with technique and style. So for now I'll go with quality lenses and get the most out of my less than year old white K-30.
No kidding - I put all kinds of great glass on my K-x and reaped the benefits before finally upgrading the body to the K-5. That upgrade was kind of a letdown (and an expensive one, since I bought it at release time) and made me feel for over a year that I wasted much money on depreciation while getting minimal ROI. My lenses, especially the more expensive ones, never made me feel that way.

Eventually I saw that there were benefits from the K-5, and I like it, but the glass is still where it's at.
05-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If you like the FA31, you'll keep it much longer than you'd keep either camera body.
And this was the statement that snapped me back to reality! Plain and simple!
05-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #42
Site Supporter

K5IIS and the 31mm
05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Don't feel awkward; it took Canon a long time to realize that white DSLRs are cool: Canon USA brings white EOS Rebel SL1 to America: Digital Photography Review

So there's still hope; your behind-the-curve classmates may eventually catch up!
05-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #44

Original Poster
Uh oh!

Now I'm hotter than fish grease! Couldn't they have picked another color?(lol)
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Okay! You were right and then some!
Earlier today I gave into temptation ordering a K-3, FA77 and FA31.(both silver)
B&H is making me wait to clear the 31. When they do I'll be looking for a silver FA43.
The K-3 w/ the three Amigos! It's all working out better than anticipated.