Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
If you didn't own either and it came down to it, which would you choose?

K-3 w/ Sigma 30mm 1.4

or

K-5IIs w/ FA 31mm 1.8
I'd take a K-x with the fa31.

Plastic fantastic that performs well vs a lens with a great build and performs well. I'll take the nice looking lens every time assuming the performance is decent.

06-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I know for sure I'm ordering a FA 31 Ltd Thursday, I'm currently trying to figure out the rest.
So did you get the 31mm? Have you been able to shoot with it much? Any thoughts on it? And as an owner of a white K-30 myself, I'd love to see some pics of the 31mm on your K-30.

I'm a little late to the conversation, but for anybody else who passes this way, I'm a big fan of the Sigma 30mm. Not taking anything away from the legendary 31mm, but the 30mm is also a great lens and is probably one of the very best values in lenses. It has a 2/3-stop speed/shallow DOF advantage over the 31mm being a 1.4 lens, and it's actually sharper in the center than the 31mm, though the 31mm is much better at the edges.

So for someone who's on a tight budget, give the Sigma 30mm 1.4 a try. Many of my favorite images are from my 30mm. I used it a few days ago during the delivery of my third daughter, and, as usual, it didn't disappoint. Here's a couple pics, both shot wide-open at f1.4 (click for a larger version):

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-13-2014 at 09:18 PM.
06-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My Kit

I was very fortunate to be able to get The Amigos and a K-3 all at once. For personal reasons I'm not big on posting my school work. However this is my first weekend off from school. So I will shoot this weekend and post some images by Monday.

As for my experience so far, I absolutely love the 31mm and K-3. I received them in time to do the last assignment of the semester, but honestly I've only shot with the 31mm (& 18-55WR kit lens because I'm so use to it) to complete that assignment.

Shooting the K-3 is something I'll really have to get use to, with it having buttons everywhere. I have mistakenly changed the EV to where my images were almost completely black. And just yesterday I did the same with the white balance, changing it from sunlight to tungsten, giving all my images the blue tint.Passing time on the subway, I cropped one of the blue images from the K-3/31mm combo and was quite surprised (pixel peeping is normally not my thing) by the detail. Those accidents I've never had with the K30 I was going to sell but can't part with. Luckily I'm aware that I've never owned an advanced body and I almost always first assume it's user error on my part.

Being I haven't even made it to the 43mm & 77mm in my bag, my LBA should be pacified for awhile. Though the DA15 & DA*60-250 keep creeping into my head at times, but I only want what I'm going to use and the 43mm/77mm will be used for sure, being I have a portrait class this coming Fall.

To sum this all up: I took the collective advice of the forum and got what I truly wanted, both lenses & body. So I'm as happy as can be and most of all, Truly Blessed!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Kyocera C5215  Photo 
06-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #49
Pentaxian

That is truly an impressive collection! You should have a blast getting acquainted with all those amazing lenses.

And I don't blame you for wanting to keep the K-30. One of the best DSLR's ever made!

06-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Being I haven't even made it to the 43mm & 77mm in my bag, my LBA should be pacified for awhile. Though the DA15 & DA*60-250 keep creeping into my head at times, but I only want what I'm going to use and the 43mm/77mm will be used for sure, being I have a portrait class this coming Fall.
And all three of those FA Ltds work for portraits, so don't discount any of them. Aside from the FL, each has a distinctive character as well. As I may have mentioned, with a studio setup (aperture usually stopped down a few stops) the colors out of the FA43 yield similar looking photos to what a digital Hasselblad produces.
06-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #51

Original Poster
Images

I apologize for being lazy, but I usually am the first couple of weeks after a semester. So I'll get back with something cooler before Summer's end.

I made sure to take them from the same distance, but the 43mm is at F4 while the other two are at F2. Which I know both affects DOF, (I did want the same aperture) but my intentions were not to try to achieve the same look. Just some simple images. Focus may be off a little due to me wobbling so bad (don't know why.) Still even fooling around I really, really love the 77mm. If the FA*85mm is noticeably better wow!!! I couldn't begin to imagine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-15-2014, 01:33 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Is the clock set right on your camera? The photos look like they were taken closer to noon than 5:45PM. Or doesn't the EXIF report based on the local time zone?

I don't plan on going back to the FA77 from the FA*85. I'm not convinced it's that much better, because the FA77 is already so good. And the FA77 wins if you factor in size. But I'm finding I use the FA*85 even more than I used the FA77, to the point that it's the last lens I'd give up out of my collection. So I like it even more. Nevertheless, after I got it I further realized just how good the FA77 already was.
06-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #53

Original Poster
Great eye! I shot them between 1&2pm, so I guess I need to set the clock or change the time zone. Thank you, that's something I've overlooked.

When I think of the FA77 I always recall the times I've read how others prefer the FA*85, BUT I don't see me buying one at least for a while. I really need to master what I have. And looking at the photo again, I can't see myself parting with the 77mm. Actually I can't believe I waited so long to use it!

06-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #54
Pentaxian

When I think of the FA77 I always recall the times I've read how others prefer the FA*85, BUT I don't see me buying one at least for a while.
I think the FA*85 no longer makes much sense at four-figure selling prices now that the Sigma 85mm is available. As far as I've been able to tell looking at sample images, the Sigma does not give anything up to the Pentax. And with the Sigma being much less expensive, and with silent AF, and a warranty, it seems like an obvious choice. Mine still blows me away every time I use it.

The 77mm/1.8, on the other hand, has an obvious weight/size advantage over an 85mm/1.4.
06-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

If you didn't own either and it came down to it, which would you choose?

K-3 w/ Sigma 30mm 1.4

or

K-5IIs w/ FA 31mm 1.8
I have the K-3 and the 31mm. If I was in your shoes I would go with the K-5IIs and the 31mm. There are multiple reasons for this. Always go for the best lens over the body.

1. A lens like the 31mm should last your lifetime, so the cost for someone who shoots a lot at that focal length is well worth it.
2. Bodies come and go. In 4 years the K-3 will be selling for $500 and if you need to upgrade in the future you can.
3. The 31mm is a FF lens. IF.... IF.... IF you decide you want to move up (and Pentax produces it) you have that option. A7 is a future option.

I would wait until after Photokina if you can. Good chance Pentax announces 31mm LTD HD lens, which means there could be some good used 31mm lenses hitting the market. If Pentax does announce the K-1 it could also bring some good used K-5IIs bodies to the market.
06-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have the K-3 and the 31mm.
This is what I went for, along with the FA43mm & FA77mm LTDs
06-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I think the FA*85 no longer makes much sense at four-figure selling prices now that the Sigma 85mm is available. As far as I've been able to tell looking at sample images, the Sigma does not give anything up to the Pentax. And with the Sigma being much less expensive, and with silent AF, and a warranty, it seems like an obvious choice. Mine still blows me away every time I use it.
The Sigma 85/1.4 is a good lens. I've seen some really nice results from it. But there are many of us who prefer the image rendering of Pentax lenses (and for that matter, also prefer Sony Zeiss or Canon or Nikon rendering). So other lenses make sense for us.

You see, as much as I love to save money, I wouldn't even pick the Sigma if it were $300, because it doesn't deliver images that suit my taste. In fact the only lens in my kit that I'm actively keeping an eye out to replace is my Sigma 8-16 (though I realize it's likely no one will release a suitable replacement for years). Build quality and sharpness are incredible, but I'm seldom anxious to use it, and I'm always frustrated in the end since I can never get the images to look quite like I want them to.

Another factor is I use my FA*85/1.4 a lot for sports; the Sigma has an in-lens focusing motor. I can't seem to get any good information whether the Sigma can focus as quickly, although I've asked and I'd really like to find out. But chances are it's slower because a "portrait" lens isn't necessarily going to be designed with the fastest focusing motor.

So as good as the Sigma 85/1.4 may be, there's no way it's for everyone.

Last edited by DSims; 06-15-2014 at 09:40 PM.
06-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I would love to have both on hand to compare them back to back to get a better feel for the differences, but I don't ever see that happening. I can't imagine a lens being much better than my Sigma 85mm, but I have heard some people, like you, assert that the Pentax is superior. If that's true, then the Pentax 85 really would be a special lens, and it's a crime it is discontinued.

One of the things I love about my Sigma 85mm is the way it renders skin. I've never used another lens that captures the fine detail and texture of skin the way my Sigma does. Here are a few of my shots that I think demonstrate this (click on each for the full-size image).

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 06-15-2014 at 10:33 PM.
06-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to have both on hand to compare them back to back to get a better feel for the differences, but I don't ever see that happening. I can't imagine a lens being much better than my Sigma 85mm, but I have heard some people, like you, assert that the Pentax is superior. If that's true, then the Pentax 85 really would be a special lens, and it's a crime it is discontinued.
Adam here on Pentax Forum did a review and comparison between the Pentax 85mm F/1.4 and the Sigma 85mm. I'm sure someone can find it. The Sigma is a little better, but the Pentax is definitely smaller and lighter. Sigma HSM is silent and accurate. My Sigma 85mm is probably my most accurate K-mount lens.

One of the things I love about my Sigma 85mm is the way it renders skin. I've never used another lens that captures the fine detail and texture of skin the way my Sigma does. Here are a few of my shots that I think demonstrate this (click on each for the full-size image).
The Sigma is a really good lens for people photography. Great shots by the way. Even at F/2 mine is amazingly sharp. My only complaint is that its not weather sealed.
06-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Yes, I'd call it superior, but I think it largely comes down to personal taste at this point.

Edgar, I saw these photos from you recently (sometime in the last few months). In fact, when I saw them, I was so impressed I told myself I'd never criticize this lens again. I hope I haven't already broken that "promise" to myself. It's an excellent lens, worthy of praise.

Nevertheless, I realized it still wouldn't have been the right lens for me. And since I realize this for myself, and I've found some other Pentaxians have similar taste to mine, I'm saying there are still good reasons to go for the FA*85 (as well as the FA77), and everyone needs to evaluate this for himself.