Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
If it came down to it....

If you didn't own either and it came down to it, which would you choose?

K-3 w/ Sigma 30mm 1.4

or

K-5IIs w/ FA 31mm 1.8

05-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends. The new Sigma, or the old one?

I had the old Sigma 30/1.4 and I didn't really like it. Nor do I like the change in the physical controls on the K-3. I do however love my K-5IIs, and I lust for the 31 Limited. So I guess you have my answer.
05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

IIs/31 as the the '31 is better than the '30.
05-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I do have both the K-5 IIs and the FA31, so I guess that's my choice.

It would help to know what primary application you have in mind. There could be cases where the K-3 and Sigma would be a better choice, but for general photography I'd say not.

05-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
It would help to know what primary application you have in mind.
I've only been shooting a year, so I'm still trying to find my niche. So pretty general, but always experimenting.
05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd love a K-3, but out of the choice above only, the K-5IIs w/ FA 31mm 1.8 would win me over, the 31 wins out of those lenses hands down.

Last edited by beachgardener; 05-08-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: punctuation, add info.
05-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you like the FA31, you'll keep it much longer than you'd keep either camera body. If you don't, it'll hold its value pretty well (as it has for years) - especially considering that it's highly likely to be replaced with an updated version by the end of the year or so that will probably only change the lens coating while raising the price even further. But naturally used copies still sell for less than new.

The K-3 only holds advantages for certain types of shooters (e.g. sports, although even there the K-5 IIs comes closer to the K-3 than it usually gets credit for).

Between the two, you definitely need to concentrate getting good lenses (rather than bodies) until you find your niche. Unless your K-30 is failing to do the job somehow, get 2 or 3 lenses instead now.

05-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have the K-5IIs and Sigma 30mm, and I have no desire to upgrade to a K-3, or get the Limited. I've used a lot of lenses, and the 30mm is my favorite of them all. So I would get the K-5 IIs and Sigma 30mm. Or maybe you should keep the K-30, and get the Sigma 30mm.

05-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Since you're finding your niche, I'd encourage you to get one longer lens (either a 200 or a 300 - that would be any *300, any *200, or the K200/2.5). Then I'd encourage you to get the DA15 or FA*24 (possibly both). Finally look at the FA77 or FA*85, and/or the DA*50-135.

The FA31 is about the most atypical lens you can get. So maybe you still want to try it. It's my most challenging lens, and it will give you beautifully smooth Out Of Focus areas, but you have to work to get an interesting composition and the kind of subject isolation you're looking for. I like mine, but my FA*24 sees much more use.

As an alternative, you can still get good results from the DA35/2.4 for a very reasonable price - which frees up money for other lenses. Then you can move to your choice of the Sigma 30 or FA31 later.

If you really have almost $2000 to spend right now, used copies of the K200/2.5, DA*50-135/2.8, and FA*24/2 (preferred) or DA35/2.4 plus DA15/4 (alternate) will get you the furthest.

Last edited by DSims; 05-08-2014 at 10:59 PM.
05-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
Unless your K-30 is failing to do the job somehow, get 2 or 3 lenses instead now.
That is a valid point. The main reasons for wanting to upgrade is:

1) I want to a body that can accept a grip. I shoot vertical a lot and want to try one for at least awhile.

2) I've grown tired of having a white body.

3) I've been scheming and saving wanting to get a K-3 and the three FA Ltds, finally I just learned today that more than likely I'll be getting only half the money I've been waiting on. My mind is telling me to get a K-3, but in my heart I know lenses are more important. Everybody's replies here also confirms this. The K-5IIs was more of an option for settling, forgetting all about my "VERY DEPENDABLE" K-30. So I'll start leaning more toward multiple lenses and skip the body for now.
05-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
That is a valid point. The main reasons for wanting to upgrade is:

1) I want to a body that can accept a grip. I shoot vertical a lot and want to try one for at least awhile.
This very reason came to mind when I wrote the post, but I guessed that you probably weren't taking that many portrait-orientation shots. It's a very valid reason sometimes. If it causes a real problem then the K-5 IIs plus a $35 3rd-party replica grip is a good solution. The first time I shot over 1000 portrait-orientation action shots in a few hours, I ordered a grip the next day! I have the genuine grip on my K-5 IIs and the clone grip on my K-5. They're both worth what I paid for them, with the genuine grip being a little better, but I'd definitely go for the clone grip again whenever the nearly $200 difference can be better applied elsewhere.

But if your volume of portrait photos is lower, and your arm isn't getting terribly tired because of them, then keep the K-30. In my case, I hadn't needed the grip before, so I never got one. But no one had to tell me the first day I actually needed one - it was obvious!

As you know, your K-30 still has a resale value, so if you only need one body you can recover almost half the cost of the new camera+clone grip.

Last edited by DSims; 05-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.
05-09-2014, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
2) I've grown tired of having a white body.
We all know that the color of the body won't change the quality of your pictures. Still, if you absolutely hate the camera you have, it will affect your creativity/desire/mojo. Are you more interested in advancing your craft and vision or are you more interested in upgrading your gear? Both are valid answers at different points in your journey, so figure out which one it is and you'll have your answer.
05-09-2014, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

This very reason came to mind when I wrote the post, but I guessed that you probably weren't taking that many portrait-orientation shots. It's a very valid reason sometimes. If it causes a real problem then the K-5 IIs plus a $35 3rd-party replica grip is a good solution.
I got the clone grip just because it was so cheap (I couldn't afford not to!). Its build is surprisingly impressive. And while it doesn't feel as good as the actually grip on the body, it feels better than the actual grip on a lot of Canon and Nikon bodies I've tried, and I find that pretty funny. But not as funny as how ridiculous my camera now looks with the grip and my DA 40 attached.
05-09-2014, 04:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Love my FA31 so yeah I've already made my choice. Currently the only Sigma that I would consider is that new 50 f/1.4 but even then I'm more than happy with all of my FA Limiteds. I just adore the classic rendering from those lenses but that's a personal preference. I also appreciate the wonderful build quality.

Last edited by LeRolls; 05-09-2014 at 04:10 AM.
05-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
This very reason came to mind when I wrote the post, but I guessed that you probably weren't taking that many portrait-orientation shots
The last assignment we had in class involved a minimum of 200 portrait shots and though not overly taxing, that experience alone helped me see how a grip could indeed be beneficial.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
We all know that the color of the body won't change the quality of your pictures. Still, if you absolutely hate the camera you have, it will affect your creativity/desire/mojo.
That's exactly what I said when I ordered it!(lol) I know it's fully capable but when I pull it out in class it doesn't feel serious to me. It may also have a lot to do with the fact that I'm the only Pentax user in class. That by itself makes you stand out. As a photography major I feel both are important, honing my skill to fully take advantage of my wonderful Pentax gear or having wonderful Pentax gear to hone my skills with.