Original Poster
Live update - in Sony store testing A7 against nex6 with lens turbo

05-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #17

K-3, suits my photography better
05-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After testing A7, all I can say is that IQ is phenomenal. However, I decided to pass both for now, will make a separate post on why I decided to pass A7 in the Non-Pentax forum (LensTurbo is a serious threat to FF).
05-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

The K3 because I already have $$$$ invested in K-Mount lenses.

06-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #20

So, indeed, I am in the same quandary. I use a K20D with a katz-eye split prism screen and a right angle viewfinder (when necessary), and I shoot nearly exclusively Takumar screw mount lenses, primarily near-macro and some landscape (photography by andrew sharpe). I have spent quite a bit of time getting the best Takumar lenses I can find, and I now have the 17/4, 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/4 macro 1:1 preset, an 85/2 Jupiter 9 (can't afford the Takumar 85 right now), 100/4 macro, 135/3.5, and 200/5.6. So, I really don't care about the selection of modern lenses for these cameras, but I am interested in FF for the image quality and low noise. The Sony A7, the Pentax K3, and a (used) Canon 6D are the bodies I'm looking at. Except for street photography, I meter manually, with either my Pentax Digital Spotmeter (usually) or a Gossen Luna Pro F.

I'm concerned about the 6D's ability to mount all my lenses without mirror return issues (especially the 35/3.5, which I don't use my now, but probably will quite a bit more in FF). I would also need to buy the 6D used to get a competitive price to the A7 and K3.

I'm concerned about the A7 because of the EVF and the inability to use a better screen, and the fact that it doesn't seem to be built quite as well as the K3 and 6D. I'm not hard on my equipment, though, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

I'm concerned about the K3, because it is still a 1.5 crop sensor. However, the live view is much improved (the K20D's is very poor when zooming in to focus), so it may be a significant upgrade. I just don't know.

Last edited by asharpe; 06-11-2014 at 08:58 PM.
06-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I would've said the A7 is built better than the 6D, or at least it feels that way. Combined with the mirror problem I wouldn't use the Taks on the Canon.
06-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
So, indeed, I am in the same quandary. I use a K20D with a katz-eye split prism screen and a right angle viewfinder (when necessary), and I shoot nearly exclusively Takumar screw mount lenses, primarily near-macro and some landscape (photography by andrew sharpe). I have spent quite a bit of time getting the best Takumar lenses I can find, and I now have the 17/4, 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/4 macro 1:1 preset, an 85/2 Jupiter 9 (can't afford the Takumar 85 right now), 100/4 macro, 135/3.5, and 200/5.6. So, I really don't care about the selection of modern lenses for these cameras, but I am interested in FF for the image quality and low noise. The Sony A7, the Pentax K3, and a (used) Canon 6D are the bodies I'm looking at. Except for street photography, I meter manually, with either my Pentax Digital Spotmeter (usually) or a Gossen Luna Pro F.

I'm concerned about the D6's ability to mount all my lenses without mirror return issues (especially the 35/3.5, which I don't use my now, but probably will quite a bit more in FF). I would also need to buy the 6D used to get a competitive price to the A7 and K3.

I'm concerned about the A7 because of the EVF and the inability to use a better screen, and the fact that it doesn't seem to be built quite as well as the K3 and 6D. I'm not hard on my equipment, though, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

I'm concerned about the K3, because it is still a 1.5 crop sensor. However, the live view is much improved (the K20D's is very poor when zooming in to focus), so it may be a significant upgrade. I just don't know.

I have had the 5D, and I'm now using an A7.
I also have a handful of M42 lenses like you.
So here is what I can tell for experience.

M42 lenses on 5D (or 6D), mirror clearance problems with the 35/3.5 at infinity and if its the 8-element 50mm, it has problems too.
Other than that, the other lenses should be fine.

A7 or 6D?
Depends on 2 things, imo.
1. EVF or OVF
EES precision focusing screen on a 5D (or 6D) is really good. WYSIWYG in terms of focus (esp. with fast lenses).
OVF with this screen darkens up with slow lenses though and in low light, so take note.
EVF, you get peaking (not really tack accurate, but helps zone in fast) and magnification (which a OVF will never have)
The other arguments between the 2, I assume you are already aware of.

2. Native or adapted lenses.
If you need more than a 35/2.8, 55/1.8 and a 2 f4 high end zooms, then Canon is the one that can offer those.
If you got lenses from other brands too (eg. Leica R, RF lenses, etc) then A7 is a no brainier (to a point, since not all RF lenses work w/o issues on it)

If you shoot mainly landscapes or nature, my opinion is that it does not matter FF or aps-c.
Yes, the DR, low light, resolution of the 24mp from either A7 or 6D will not be that big a difference compared to a 16mp exmor camera (there are plenty out there)
I have not made 1 to 1 comparisons, but on working with the files from both and pixel peeping, I have not seen anything that 'blew me away' between them.
I have a DP1m, and that blows away A7 and K30/K5 for resolution.

Shallow DOF look, outdoor strobist, I think it weights over a bit for FF.

I got the A7 for the use of MF lenses (all sorts) as well as the shallow DOF look, which is easier on FF.
No kidding myself that for other stuff that I do, my K30 will certainly do fine as well.

Edit :
Oh yes...
K3
The K3 is a better camera and system (period)
Fast, low light AF, burst speed, handling, logical menus and fast access for buttons and menus.
As far as I can tell, the DR and resolution is close enough to be not cause any hindrance compared to A7 ( 6D is worse )
The thing is that its not a FF sensor for the good and bad of it.
So if you want FF, you want it.
Else, I don't see how 6D or A7 is the better camera.
LV and shutter response in LV is very good on the K3 (than K5 and K30)

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-11-2014 at 10:18 PM.
06-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #23

Thanks, pinholecam, this is very helpful! (and ElJamoquio, too.) I don't know if you remember the live view on the K20D, but the zoom-in to critical focus is abysmal, all you get is really large chunky pixels. But, I use it for that, as well as a right angle finder. If the live view on the K3 is actually useful when zoomed in for focus, that would be great (I'd probably drop another $100 on a katz-eye for it, though -- why did Pentax change the focusing screen size?). Of course, if you are saying it is a lot better than the K5, then it must be lightyears ahead of the K20D, right?

Shooting a lot of macro, of course I really do want a lot of DoF, and the crop sensor gives me more than the FF. I *occasionally* like the short DoF-look, but for that I have the 50/1.4. Mostly, I prefer the Group F.64-type of photograph. For the money, I'd have to say I'm strongly leaning towards the K3, especially since my lenses, M42 adapters, right angle finders, L-bracket and so on will "just work". Not the focusing screen (sigh), but I can always have the K20D as a second body.

So, no, FF isn't really a requirement, but I thought with FF and FF lenses, I might be able to get slightly better IQ than with a crop sensor. But the K3 is supposedly so good (or so say the reviews...). And getting a sealed body is also important, since neither the A7 or the 6D are as well sealed (or so I read).

Nobody ever compares the K3 to a K20D, but what do you think are the obvious feature and use improvements over the K20D? I can name a few I *think* will make a difference (in my work), but I don't know in practice if they will: 14MP compared with 24MP (same size sensor, so should be more noise in the K3, but is the newer sensor that much better to mitigate that?), Live View improvements, a dedicated ISO button, manual sensor shift (this is something I am interested in trying), no AA filter... Other than that, does any other feature stand out as a major differentiator? On the other hand, perhaps that's enough of a difference already...

06-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
14MP compared with 24MP (same size sensor, so should be more noise in the K3, but is the newer sensor that much better to mitigate that?
The K-3 sensor is going to give you visually more appealing images across all ISO ranges.
Contrary to conventional wisdom, higher resolution actually compensates for noise - DxOMark

I would say that the K-3 has about 2 stops better high ISO than the K-20. No AA filter combined with 10 more MP is definitely going to provide more detail in macro work.