Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Strange picture layout

My K-3 has FW 1.03 and worked flawlessly. I took a few pictures today and found something not quite right with one. Never seen this before, seems as if the picture was screwed up by the JPG-engine. Look at the left bottom and also the horizontal line across. Seems a mashup of several pictures taken before and after. Anyone had this before?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
it is weird.. but it seems salvageable: cut out the bottom part, paste as a new layer, cut out the left portion of the bottom part, move the right portion to the left, paste the cut portion, put both upper and lower parts together.
still, I don't think it's supposed to look like this

[lovely short, btw]
05-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Luckily I took a few shots before and after. I think the K-3 might have had a buffer issue - the other ones are better than this one too. So in all not so bad
05-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What card are you using, and have you formatted it in-camera to see if that would fix the problem?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
64GB SDXC card (made in Japan btw). Never had an issue with the card and reformatted it recently in camera.
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've seen this before and it's always been a faulty card.
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #7

formatting in camera just modifies the file allocation table, it does not verify the card itself. the same is true for "quick format" from the OS.
I don't have an SD card handy at the moment, but for windows, this seems to be promising: How to Check an SD Card for Errors | eHow

05-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
Will reformat with my PC (not quick option) and see if that helps. Thanks for the help on this.
05-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dicks Quote
My K-3 has FW 1.03 and worked flawlessly. I took a few pictures today and found something not quite right with one. Never seen this before, seems as if the picture was screwed up by the JPG-engine. Look at the left bottom and also the horizontal line across. Seems a mashup of several pictures taken before and after. Anyone had this before?

I saw that effect quite often form an old Sony pocket camera that my wife bought new at the beginning of 2004.

That was a fault which I never got a firm grip on, and seemed to be possible to stimulate in the process of copying from one disc device to another.

That was a reason I now shoot RAW only.
05-14-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I've seen this before and it's always been a faulty card.
Agreed its a classic case of BAM corruption (block availability map) as this only happens on user file systems it point ineringly at the SD card

If it was the buffer failing it would be a lot more random.

The data is correct just not re-assembled

Not looked at this recently but a quick fix under fat used to copy the seconadry File allocation table over primary.

I'd not format that SD card but thow it in the nearest trashcan or use it where data has no value.