Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Catch in focus with K3

Hi

I have several manual lenses and find catch in focus to be very useful when taking macros or action shots.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out why my K3 does not seem to be functioning correctly in this respect. I have Catch In Focus set to On and have tried several combinations of the other AF settings in the Custom menus to see if that makes any difference. I use only the AF button on the camera to control AF (no half shutter press). The same settings work perfectly on my K5 even when AFS priority is set to "Release".

Anybody else come across this and find a solution? I still have time to return my camera for full refund if it is defective so I would like to sort this out ASAP.

05-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Using the AF button is the problem I'm afraid (AF2 mode), you have to use a mode where the shutter and AF are not decoupled (AF1 mode). AF2 mode also causes AFS focus priority to be ignored as well (with a AF lens of course).

John.
05-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply jhmos.

Seems like a big step backwards in this particular feature since the AF button (with shutter AF off) works in most if not all previous models. Perhaps a firmware fix could resolve this behavior. Very disappointing to me since macro was the main reason I bought the K3 and CIF is very handy for that. I have never been a fan of shutter activated focus but maybe I will set up a user mode for cases where I need it.
05-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Both Nikon and Pentax made the same change to CIF/TrapFocus: previous models worked as expected and newer models require the focus to be set by the shutter button. i.e. the D800 also suffers from this new behavior. I guess that's what U1/U2 are for!

Michael

05-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok, this was good to know. Thought I was stupid
12-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You aren't stupid. This problem is stupid! Grrrr. Also why the heck would focus priority be ignored in AF.S? Why even have a back button if it is only useful half the time? If you are holding that button focus priority should most definitely be enforced if that is how you have set it. This is a bug.
12-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As jhmos said, setting the AF button to AF1 will work, setting to AF2 will not in the k-3.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
You aren't stupid. This problem is stupid! Grrrr. Also why the heck would focus priority be ignored in AF.S? Why even have a back button if it is only useful half the time? If you are holding that button focus priority should most definitely be enforced if that is how you have set it. This is a bug.
I am not so sure it is a bug.... if the shutter release button is set with no 'focus' ability, how does the function of 'focus priority' being enforced - that is the last user-action before the shot is fired.
12-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
As jhmos said, setting the AF button to AF1 will work, setting to AF2 will not in the k-3.

---------- Post added 12-17-2014 at 09:42 PM ----------

I am not so sure it is a bug.... if the shutter release button is set with no 'focus' ability, how does the function of 'focus priority' being enforced - that is the last user-action before the shot is fired.
If you are holding the AF button down at the time of release it should be enforced should it not? This is the same as holding the shutter button at half press.

K-3 Back Button AF Bug - RIAC Community

The lack of CIF with the back button is a much bigger deal to me and is highly frustrating quite honestly. If anyone wants Ricoh to return this functionality feel free to comment on this post. Maybe they will listen. Why they would change something that works is beyond me.

12-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
Why they would change something that works is beyond me.
Maybe to force folks like you to buy new AF lenses? This isn't new tactics - in K10D the feature doesn't work with M lenses - why? manual focusing is still the same process despite the kind of lens you use. And infamous crippling of K mount - what other reason could that have than simple crippling purposely all Pentax-M lenses and force folks to seek much more rare A lenses or to buy the new one ? Quite sad to be honest because that is never working well in the brand loyalty department and people sometime just get pissed off...

Good luck in making Ricoh listen ;-)
12-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter

There is another thread where K-3 CIF is being discussed and I suspect I know the reason for the current behavior and why it was changed from the K-5. Having CIF release the shutter with the AF button creates a logical ambiguity for certain settings combinations. I will not go through the various combinations and permutations of AF configuration on the K-3, you don't have to go far down the mental path before coupling the AF button to shutter release is not a good idea.

Steve

* FWIW, while CIF was an undocumented (side-effect) feature on my recently-departed K10D, I don't believe it could be invoked from the AF button.