Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Here's a weird one

I had my Metz 58 AF2 switched on and attached to the K3, and the Sigma 180mm macro attached. Turned on the camera and it asked me to enter the focal length!
Huh?
Turned the K3 off, back on, and it asked me for the focal length again. Turned it off, turned the flash off, turned the camera on - no more asking. Then turned on the flash, and proceeded to take my photos, all of which were perfectly exposed.
Hadn't thought about this little event until this morning when reading about some of the quirks people have been finding with their K3 reminded me.

I chalk it up to too many non-Pentax accessories.
<shrug>

05-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Itīs common practice to power up the camera first and then the flash to aviod this kind of bugs. I think it even says so in the manual.
05-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you sure the lens is mounted on the camera body properly? - sometimes there can be a slight mount misalignment on the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX causing the pins to misalign causing a fault in data transmission - what causes this miscommunication is the screws holding the lensmount have become loose and they need to be tightened - the same thing happens on my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG.
05-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Had similar issues with my K5 and ALL my Sigma lenses (5 of them + 1 Quantaray being a rebrand. 3 HSM and 3 Screw Drive) since the last firmware update. It is intermittent but happens often enough to be very annoying. Doesn't happen with Pentax or Tamron lenses and I had no issues on my K7, Kr and none so far with the K3 (less than 2000 clicks).

Funny thing is, if I mount my 35mm and the camera ask for the Focal Length and I put 200mm, the EXIF data from the photo will show the proper FL (35mm). The same is true with the zooms. No matter what I put, the picture gets the proper info tagged into it.

05-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If I think about it again, or encounter it again, I might do some investigating. The weird part to me was the influence the flash unit had on the camera's ability to read the lens. Not a big deal.
05-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I routinely had a similar problem with my Sigma 105 macro on the K-5. It seems a Sigma thing. Haven't tried the same lens on a K-3 yet though.

But all the electronic interfaces in the lens mount and hot-shoe generally give great scope for weird things to happen, especially when third-party accessories are involved. A 3rd party teleconverter I have makes my K-5 electronics lock-up, for example. Never could figure out why.
05-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I had my Metz 58 AF2 switched on and attached to the K3, and the Sigma 180mm macro attached. Turned on the camera and it asked me to enter the focal length!
Huh?
Turned the K3 off, back on, and it asked me for the focal length again. Turned it off, turned the flash off, turned the camera on - no more asking. Then turned on the flash, and proceeded to take my photos, all of which were perfectly exposed.
Hadn't thought about this little event until this morning when reading about some of the quirks people have been finding with their K3 reminded me.

I chalk it up to too many non-Pentax accessories.
<shrug>
Sigma PKA mounts are revers engineered they are stil not 'correct'

All my Sigma lens can occasionaly give f-- and ask for focal length irrelevant of asecories attached to the camera , re-seating lens always resolves.

At a guess I'd say the mount , pin position or depth are out of tolerance for Pentax specification.
05-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I do like that Sigma 180mm macro lens, though. 99% of the time it's on a tripod, manually focused, manual exposure, and lit with 2 or more strobes, so this quirk is easy to live with for me.
I understand Pentax had a 200mm macro that was good, but alas no longer available.

05-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Micro Nikkor 200mm is also a great lens -- much smaller/lighter than the Sigma too.

M
05-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Micro Nikkor 200mm is also a great lens
That lens was discontinued by nikon at the same time as the FA*200mm f/4 ED MACRO was.
05-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

My Tamron 70-200 and K3 was only letting me have spot af today. Not sure how exactly I resolved it but I did switch lenses and switch back and things were normal again... One of the things that makes shooting Pentax so "colorful."
05-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Sigma PKA mounts are revers engineered they are stil not 'correct'

All my Sigma lens can occasionaly give f-- and ask for focal length irrelevant of asecories attached to the camera , re-seating lens always resolves.

At a guess I'd say the mount , pin position or depth are out of tolerance for Pentax specification.
Maybe Sigma quality control? The lens I use most is my Sigma 17-70 (2nd version); I've never had this issue on my K-3 now, or K-r previously, over thousands of shots.
05-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same thing, using a Sigma 24-60mm lens and a Metz 50. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it seems if you switch on the flash before the camera, it doesn't recognise the lens. Some software glitch I guess.
05-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Come to think of it, I've had the same happening with my Sigma 180 macro. Since I very frequently use it with flash (most of the time actually) I hadn't stopped to realize this behaviour was because of the flash, so I just put it down to a typical Sigma irregularity (or just non weather sealing playing with the electronics in the humid rainforest I was using it in)... Nothing I cannot live with... Good to know it might be flash related though.

The lens *is* big (actually even the biggest and heaviest lens in my kit), but the results I generally got from it, make this Sigma 180 macro worth its size and weight for me. OK, I would have preferred the Pentax, but ever since I decided to settle on the Sigma (one of the last copies in stock at B&H at the time) I haven't regretted this decision and I have stopped longing for the Pentax 200. I'm just glad I still got the f/3.5, furthermore since the current f/2.8 is even bigger and heavier (irrelevant because not available in Pentax mount... for now? ...).

I never had the problem with my other Sigma, the 8-16, though I never use that with flash which could explain...

Wim