Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 AC adapter

The user's manual for the K-3 specifies the model K-AC132 AC adapter for use with that camera. It's also for the K-5II and K-5IIs. The K-5 and earlier used the K-AC50 adapter, which I have; does anyone know if it can be used with the K-3 (instead of the K-AC132)? Seems like it oughta work, seeing as how they all use the same batteries, but I want to be sure. I emailed Pentax but haven't heard back yet.

05-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

From another post:

"From previous threads here and PMs with another member:

The adapter for the K-5 and K-7 (K-AC50) works fine with the K-3, if you already have one. I have used mine and it works fine.

Also note that the K-AC1202U adapter for the K-01 (in stock and $10 cheaper) seems to have the Switching AC Adapter D-AC120 module that the K-AC132 has, according to the In the Box info. Plus you get the adapter-to-K-01 coupler!

[Seems a bit disingenuous of Pentax to sell the K-3 adapter for a higher price, IMO.]

The new adapter seems to be needed because of changes in EU regulations regarding such things. I don't know the details, but think it has to do with environmentally friendly materials.

Cheers,
Lou
05-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Lou. That's interesting. I've now heard back from Pentax - Ricoh - whatever ya call it - here's what they said:

Thank you for contacting RICOH.
The AC50 adapter is not designed for or recommended for use with the K3. The only AC adapter we recommend using with the camera is the K-AC132 model specified in the manual.

Not saying I believe them, necessarily, just reporting what they said.
05-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First, kudos to Pentax-Ricoh for keeping the same battery for the K-3 and the upcoming 645z!

Second, Personal experience and the experience of others (see the above mentioned thread) show that the AC50 and a cheaper knockoff work fine.

Third, Another pentax forum (I forget which) asked the Pentax UK or Pentax Europe office (forget, again). The response was that the AC50 was compatible; the only change was in materials to comply with EU environmental standards.

Fourth, RICOH's response to you is to be expected.

Fifth, the K-AC132 still isn't available, after being the "adapter of choice" for the K-5 II/IIs (September, 2012), the K-3, and the 645z.

I'll continue to use my AC50 with my K-3 with no worries.

Cheers,
Lou