Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 - what to check before leaving the store?

I plan to buy a K-3 from a very well regarded UK camera store (SRS Microsystems in Watford) in a couple of days time.

I'll take a charged battery with me, and I plan to take a look at it before leaving the store.

To minimise the risk of having to return it, could people suggest things to include on a 'pre flight checklist'?

I thought of checking that the electronic level is actually level, but if there are other things to look at, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks.

05-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you really expect the folks at SRS to have the time to wait for you to check all the functions of the K-3 to make sure there's no immediate fault before you buy the camera? Much less actually permit it?
That's what warranty is for.. Take your camera home and then use it to take photos, enjoy life a bit
05-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take the camera home.

Charge 100% the battery.

Insert a card. (Use a fast card)

Update the firmware. (Very important to have a fully charged battery before updating)

Then set your own settings.

And read the instruction manual.

Install a lens.

Now you can shoot...
05-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Do you really expect the folks at SRS to have the time to wait for you to check all the functions of the K-3 to make sure there's no immediate fault before you buy the camera? Much less actually permit it?
Well, er, yes, actually.

Not all the functions - obviously I'm not going to sit there for two days going through every menu item.

But if there is a quick way of checking for a few common faults, it will save my time if there are a few obvious things that K-3 owners have encountered that I can check for. And if I find anything then it will save the store's time as well.

They offer free delivery to members of PentaxUser.co.uk, and have been known to, at their expense, collect defective products and ship out replacements, also at their expense. I've shopped there for years, I'd never buy anything expensive from anywhere else, simply because their service is so good.

So if there's something obvious wrong with the camera, and I can save them the expense of all the shipping, simply by turning up and spending a short while in a quiet corner of the store, everybody wins.

Not sure why it sounded so unusual an idea

Edit: oh, and @hcc, thanks, but I already know how to use a camera. I've had a K10D and a K-5 for years. Just not a K-3 yet

05-20-2014, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Not sure why it sounded so unusual an idea
Only unusual if they allow this with new unopened stock..
05-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would check for possible physical damage or defects just by inspecting the body externally, then take a few snaps with it to make sure the shutter/sensor are OK. Anything more than that is overkill as problems normally only develop after extensive use. Plus you've always got the warranty

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2014, 04:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Only unusual if they allow this with new unopened stock..
But unless it's obviously defective, it's the new unopened stock I'll shortly be going home with.

No point checking one camera for defects and then going home with another one.

Opening up a new box, trying one out, and then *not* buying it, if it was perfectly Ok, would be bang out of order - of course. But I wouldn't do that, and they know me well enough, hopefully, to know that I wouldn't mess them about like that.

This all came about when I had to return my first K-5 because the electronic level wasn't level, and I thought it might be an idea to check the replacement before I took it home. In the event it was the third new one out of the box that had a level level - the first two were worse than the one I was returning. Imagine all the mucking about with shipping backwards and forwards if I'd just taken the box.

So... the level... anything else obvious to look for, other than, as Adam says, physical damage, shutter/sensor, and displays? If not, great !!

05-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
Forum Member

Hi Chris

I purchased all my recent kit from SRS (aside from the HD 1.4x TC). They have been excellent and seem to understand that if you are a long way from them (I'm a good hours drive) that you may want to spend time checking things before leaving the shop. I don't think they'd have any problem with what you are suggesting.

Paul.
05-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pgamble Quote
Hi Chris

I purchased all my recent kit from SRS (aside from the HD 1.4x TC). They have been excellent and seem to understand that if you are a long way from them (I'm a good hours drive) that you may want to spend time checking things before leaving the shop. I don't think they'd have any problem with what you are suggesting.

Paul.
I wouldn;t wnat to , trying to assess a camera whilst sales person taps feet !

Sainsburies is just across the road, I've always puchased my goods taken them back to the car and tested them before leaving.
If your on foot the McD's is just down the road so get a coffee and test to your satifaction wihtout rushing.
05-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

:-) I had a dreadful McDs (although it is bright and clean with unusually good service) just before spending 3 1/2 hours with Peter at SRS diagnosing the issues that turned out to be my 60-250. He couldn't have been more patient and helpful. Agreeing a time to go in always makes sense. What ever suits your needs ... I'm sure they will make it as easy as possible. I guess that is why I keep going back ... costing me a fortune. Maybe better if I find a less 'understanding' shop :-)

Paul.
05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Just enjoy the camera.

Edit: check if you got the K-3 Silver before leaving the store.
05-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Sainsburies is just across the road, I've always puchased my goods taken them back to the car and tested them before leaving.
Now that is a damn good idea. That's where I'll be parked

Cheers