Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

K3 and Weather-sealing

Hi all. I've been out today in quite rainy weather for about 2.5 hours taking bird/nature photographs with my relatively new K3. All worked well and it was my first serious test of the weather sealing. However now I'm home the K3 has gone into a very funny mode (pictures below).
Firstly, the camera would not turn on so I removed the battery and no signs of water. I re inserted said battery and with the camera switched off the K3 starts up at the time/date setup screen! Flicking the switch to on and off seems to have no effect and only battery removal kills power.
Heres's some pics showing the K3 with power switch clearly turned OFF. I never had a single issue with my K5 in inclement weather and I've only recently had the unit returned from repair after the slapping mirror/poor FPS performance. This is not good :-(

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S95  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some pf members believe that service centers ruin the weather sealing when they open a camera.

Was this a firmware-only repair?
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi and thanks for the reply. I flashed the firmware myself before returning but the work request form states "Camera checked with No faults found + firmware updated". I think I'll request a replacement now as I had it 11 days before returning, then Service Centre had it for 1 month. It's been back 2 weeks and this is the first real test in the rain. It produces great images but it's very problematic right now.
05-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

After you set the time and date, does the camera turn itself off? It should.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, can set the time and date.......but cannot turn the camera off without removing the battery again! Once reinserted set time/date appears again.
05-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Might be a silly question, but after resetting the time/date are you selecting 'Settings Complete'? This tricked me when I first got the Q, everytime I switched it on it wanted the time/date set because I didn't scroll down and select 'Settings Complete'!
05-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi and yes I've clicked on settings complete and everything seems to work fine.......except the on/off switch. I cannot switch the camera off! Only by removing the battery does this work. Once removed and reinserted I'm back at the time/date settings screen which I set and saved 1 minute previously. To me it must be water or moisture in the unit.

---------- Post added 05-23-14 at 11:33 PM ----------

It's late in the uk now so I'll let things settle overnight and it'll hopefully dry out if water has somehow got in. Another test tomorrow as the weather here in Wales is raining again!

05-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Considering your location I think you need to have the WR. I visited the coastal resort town at the very southern end of Snowdonia a few summers ago. It was pretty, but I was trying to figure out when they ever get to use all those beach chairs!
05-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Went out again in the rain today as theres was an improvement overnight (due to unit drying out I reckon). Within minutes though I noticed the top LCD had lots of moisture(see pic) then about an hour later the rear LCD completely failed. The camera was operational but no way of reviewing images/changing settings etc. I also noticed the viewfinder seemed to be fogging up internally. Due to the problems I've had I've asked for a replacement as this might run and run with it back and forth the service centre.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
05-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Forum Member

You need to send it back immediately, as the poster above says, we really need that weatherproofing to work in the UK, and thats the beauty of Pentax for us.