Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
Ha, that's hilarious and quite fitting given the flap over this issue (sorry, I could not resist ).

Taking it one step further, in the U.S., Richard is often shortened to Dick, so over here we are going to get Dick to fix it.

Ray
and when Dick would ask $500 for the fix, we could go "don't be a dick, Dick!" (c)

05-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree on this, and not just on electronic devices. How many times there have been recalls on Toyota, GM, and well, a majority of all manufacturers at some time. That is the downside of mass production but it is also the great benefit too. I mean if a manufacturer tried to build an item as if it is a Stradivarius, it would most likely be without any quality issues, but your would have to pay a 5 figure price for a K-3. Look at how expensive (or overpriced :O) Leica cameras are ? Sure you can take great pics with them but you can take the same pic with a Pentax or Canon or Nikon for a fraction of the price by comparison. Quality is a perception and we all hope that each item we want to purchase will be 100% accurate with no issues. I have not seen at the numbers on the K-3, but if you look at the %'s of how many fail, the failure rate I would imagine is pretty low. When you go to a forum as this, it magnifies failure numbers because there are more people posting saying that my camera is a problem versus my camera is great. We expect to see a great camera so we don't post to everyone out there to tell everyone how great it is. If we have a failure, we will be on it right away.

When I will buy a K-3, I would not hesitate to buy it now based on the flappy problem because it is a great camera and Pentax is a great manufacturer who does deal with any issues. Now to be sure, the first thing I will do is check it over and over for a day or two to make sure it is all good under the hood to make sure there are no problems, but I would not hesitate to purchase it now.

Last edited by JimC1101; 05-27-2014 at 11:44 PM.
05-28-2014, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you need the K-3 you'll just buy it. Some of us do. Otherwise you don't really need it, so why bother?
05-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hate that assertion DSims. The K3 would be REALLY useful to me in my work. It would be exceptionally nice to have the extra resolution. The way time-lapse is accessed through the drive mode is so much nicer than how it's done on the K5-II and K5-IIs. There are several upgrade points that I could certainly benefit from in owning the K3 vs. the K5-II or IIs.

However, in my situation it proved so unreliable as to be almost useless. So yeah, it's not just a matter of "if I need it I'll buy it". What I need is a reliable camera, period. Not one that locks up with and without mirror-flapping. And just for the sake of sounding like a broken record some more, the two K5-IIs bodies I now own have never had one issue, and the K5-II I had worked right until the shutter died, exactly when I expected the shutter to die. So Pentax/Ricoh is absolutely capable of doing better than they did with the K3.

05-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
two K5-IIs bodies I now own have never had one issue, and the K5-II I had worked right until the shutter died
I would add that some copies of the the K-5 suffered from mirror flop. Ricoh/Pentax was able to address that issue and migrated the fix to later bodies in the series. It is disturbing to me that you and several other users on this site have had a similar issue with their K-3s. It is even more disturbing that Ricoh has not been able to craft a fix (hardware or software) as remedy to users like you. It is my opinion that the mirror problem is a hardware issue traceable to Ricoh's suppliers. The camera makers generally use off-the-shelf or made to spec shutters and mirror mechanisms from companies such as Seiko. When there is a problem, it is a QA issue for both entities and resolution may be dependent on the strength of the business relationship. Sad, eh?

With any luck, this matter will see resolution in the near future. In the mean time, my fingers are crossed in regards to my K-3. It is an incredible tool and I expect to make full use of its feature set (time lapse included) as I become more familiar with the camera.

Steve

---------- Post added 05-29-14 at 11:29 AM ----------

Out of curiosity, where is the OP? Still no activity on this or any other thread, though there was a logon this morning. Now might be a good time to liven things up with discussions of cheese, beer, and the ultimate destruction of Tokyo (or was it Boston?)...
05-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I'm aware the K5 had some variation of the same problem... which has always been odd to me, seeing how Pentax seemed to eliminate it with the K5-II and IIs, but not the K3. Ironically enough, I just shot a long time-lapse over this past weekend and I decided to use my old original K5 to do it, and it actually performed for over 10,000 shutter actuations, non-stop for hours, without one darn problem. LOL
05-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but not the K3
Different body, different shutter, different performance target. You would think, however, that the engineering QA process would have found a way to test for this type of problem prior to release. After all, they have dealt with it in the past.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-29-2014 at 11:40 AM.
05-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Yeah, I'm aware the K5 had some variation of the same problem... which has always been odd to me, seeing how Pentax seemed to eliminate it with the K5-II and IIs, but not the K3.
The K-3 mirror uses a separate motor for actuation and added a new mirror deceleration mechanism while the K-5 used a single motor for shutter, mirror and aperture lever.

So the hardware and control systems are quite different between the two cameras. Plus the K-3 operates at a higher framerate. I suspect the cause or causes of mirror flap are different as well.

05-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Hate that assertion DSims. The K3 would be REALLY useful to me in my work. It would be exceptionally nice to have the extra resolution. The way time-lapse is accessed through the drive mode is so much nicer than how it's done on the K5-II and K5-IIs. There are several upgrade points that I could certainly benefit from in owning the K3 vs. the K5-II or IIs.

However, in my situation it proved so unreliable as to be almost useless. So yeah, it's not just a matter of "if I need it I'll buy it". What I need is a reliable camera, period. Not one that locks up with and without mirror-flapping. And just for the sake of sounding like a broken record some more, the two K5-IIs bodies I now own have never had one issue, and the K5-II I had worked right until the shutter died, exactly when I expected the shutter to die. So Pentax/Ricoh is absolutely capable of doing better than they did with the K3.
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I don't envy it.

I'm just saying that if you really need it, it's worth the risk. In my case I didn't think I needed to upgrade to a K-3 last fall, so I didn't. The K-5 IIs seemed to still be doing the trick, whereas the K-5 had fallen short of my needs (AF performance, primarily). But if I'd believed I needed it, I would have purchased a K-3 a long time ago.

My immediate need for AF improvement before the K-5 IIs was so great that it was worth taking a chance, despite the fact (which only became apparent after getting one) that Pentax and the press had underplayed the degree of improvement over the K-5. I would have done the exact same thing a year later with the K-3, except the need wasn't there that time. Too bad it didn't work out well for you this time around - I'm sure it was frustrating. And reliability is something you often don't find out about until it's too late. But unfortunately, it's also always part of the risk when purchasing a product.

I'm not justifying Ricoh or the K-3. I'm just saying this is a pragmatic approach I take as a consumer (wish I were so pragmatic in some other areas of my life!).

Last edited by DSims; 05-29-2014 at 12:14 PM.
05-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have more confidence in buying a K-3 if Pentax warranties were transferrable. As many owners of Nikon's D600 discovered, the resale value took a major hit because of the known problems with the camera. At least if the warranty was transferrable, I'd take a risk on a used K-3. I don't see them selling very quickly in the market place when listed and I suspect the mirror flapping issue is the reason. No one likes to spend $1000+ dollars for a camera only to have to send it off for several weeks for repair (longer if they don't have a fix yet, or enough parts for the fix on hand).