Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Flappy mirror

I am not interested in the K3 until Pentax (Richo) comes up with a proven fix. I will stick with my Spotmatic, K1000, and 2 K7's. I would sure like the K3 but can wait until the problem is found and the fix is proven. Have a great day and let me know when the fix is in!

Dick

05-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the issue seems to have affected a handful of users, if you pick up a new K-3 chances are you won't have any problems with it. Plus, there's always the warranty.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by onebeachbumm Quote
I am not interested in the K3 until Pentax (Richo) comes up with a proven fix.
Richo - that's an Aussie abbreviation nick name for Richard. I sure hope we're not waiting for some bloke to fix the problem with fencing wire and a pair of pliers...
05-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I sure hope we're not waiting for some bloke to fix the problem with fencing wire and a pair of pliers...
Good point. But, on PF we've never discussed the possibilities of using fencing wire - might be just the ticket. I know a Richard in Canberra.

I wonder if the OP is aware that the mirror latch was known to fail on the K 1000. Maybe Richo knows how to fix.

05-27-2014, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
..there's always the warranty.
Adam, but no-one wants to have to send their $1K+ camera away to be fixed and be without it for x-weeks and then get a camera back knowing that they can no longer rely on it's weather sealing.
The promise of Warranty is meaningless in-so-far-as total product satisfaction is concerned, we want robust cameras from the start and not have console ourselves that "Oh, we have warranty" should any [widely known & reported] issues crop up for us.
I held off being an early adopter of the K-3 initially for financial reasons and to read reviews and user feedback. But more recently I've come to consider the K-3 is flawed, lacking in it's promise and I would not want to risk my money on it. If this is my perception then it is certainly the perception of others. This is the problem RICOH must address. I just don't care that it has warranty.
05-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not interested in the K3 until Pentax (Richo) comes up with a proven fix. I will stick with my Spotmatic, K1000, and 2 K7's. I would sure like the K3 but can wait until the problem is found and the fix is proven.
I am really confused as to why some people seem to be making a huge deal about this. It has happened to me twice in just under 6,000 exposures. I am positive that I had far more miss-fed or otherwise ruined rolls of film when I shot film, in far, far less exposures. And it really does not seem to hurt anything anyway, drop the battery, re-insert, keep shooting.

So, honestly is this just a way to trash Pentax or is it really enough to stop someone from buying an excellent camera?
05-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I know a Richard in Canberra
The poor guy - no one wants to live in Canberra or Brasilia - they were just bad ideas. But he might be able to fix it - I'm sure this Richo has time on his hands.

05-27-2014, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Pretty sure Richo from Canberra will fix it. Not so sure that Rico from Brasilia will have time - he's got a football match today, then drinking coffee with friends and he's dancing tonight. Richo isn't into roller blading, so not much else for him to do in Canberra but fix the flappy mirror problem.
05-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I've come to consider the K-3 is flawed, lacking in it's promise and I would not want to risk my money on it. If this is my perception then it is certainly the perception of others. This is the problem RICOH must address. I just don't care that it has warranty.
Steve...I would suggest that you not spend your money on a K-3. You may also want to consider whether you want to buy any Pentax-branded SLR. Variations of the flappy mirror/mirror flop syndrome have been present in most (all?) of the dSLR models released in the last four years.* Obviously it is a systemic problem that Pentax and now Ricoh is not able to handle. And of course there was the infamous sensor stain on the K-5. Pentax quality is a myth.**

At least that is one way to look at it. I prefer to consider the industry incidence of about 3-5% of dSLRs across brands and including the flagship models having serious defect or failure requiring warranty service. Yes, one out of every 30 customers walking out the door with a new camera is carrying a lemon. Is this acceptable? No. Are you going to do better outside Pentax? No. Should you keep your "known good" K-7? Sure, why not as long as it meets your needs. It is a great camera.

Oh, and Adam's perspective has validity, too.

Steve

* K-r, K-5 series, K-30, K-50, and K-3. All have reported mirror control issues.

** Seriously need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 08:48 PM ----------

Have a great day and let me know when the fix is in!
You registered just to tell us that? No problems with the K-7s you want to ask about? How about the film cameras? We have experts for those too. Sure you don't want to share a couple of photos or provide critique on someone's work? At the very least you can drop in on the "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread and say hi to those folk.

Steve

(Count shows 4, but account shows only this post. Adam do we have a bug?)

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-27-2014 at 08:49 PM.
05-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Steve, I share only my opinion, I'm not suggesting or telling other people to have the same one - okay? Didn't need your lecture, I have a functioning brain of my own thanks.
05-27-2014, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #11

Photos: Albums
uhmmm.. why I won't buy a k3, take2?
05-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Didn't need your lecture, I have a functioning brain of my own thanks.
Not a lecture, just a suggestion and an affirmation of sorts. I made much the same decision regarding the K-5 a few years back based on the reported issues with that camera. I was not ready to buy and not willing to take that risk. Would I have gotten a floppy mirror or stained sensor camera back then? It is hard to say.

I did recently purchase a K-3 after reading and even participating in the threads detailing the flappy mirror issue and also those related to camera lockup. Was I stupid to do so? It is hard to say, but my brain is also somewhat functional and it was an informed decision.

Steve
05-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Richo - that's an Aussie abbreviation nick name for Richard. I sure hope we're not waiting for some bloke to fix the problem with fencing wire and a pair of pliers...
Ha, that's hilarious and quite fitting given the flap over this issue (sorry, I could not resist ).

Taking it one step further, in the U.S., Richard is often shortened to Dick, so over here we are going to get Dick to fix it.

Ray
05-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm with Steve on this one.
05-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I am not interested in the K3 until Pentax (Richo) comes up with a proven fix. I will stick with my Spotmatic, K1000, and 2 K7's. I would sure like the K3 but can wait until the problem is found and the fix is proven. Have a great day and let me know when the fix is in!

Dick
I have had more hangs and crashes with every computer I've ever used than the once I've had the mirror flap problem with the K-3. It held me up for about 30 seconds. If I waited till all issues were fixed, I would never buy any electronic device.