Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
YES! thank you. No it was world wide had one in my hands in shop (:
I would like to see Pentax offer that focus screen as an accessory to the K-3.

05-31-2014, 10:44 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
----------------------------------------------------

Perhaps that approach would have worked a few years ago, but with the INSTANT INFO that prosumers have access to now on product reviews (especially those highlighting poor product support), whatever replaces the K-3 will have a rough start until Ricoh completely resolves existing customer complaints.

Are you listening Ricoh?
Not true at all. Take the Nikon D600 and D610 as an example.

The D610 solved the problem (oil on sensor). The new model number came without the stigma attached to it.

Now this may not have fixed Nikon's reputation, because they didn't handle the D600 problems smoothly enough, but the D610 eliminated both the problem and the perception of a problem going forward.

I don't think Ricoh has that much of a perception problem with the K-3 anyway. And if they remove the problem going forward a new model will cleanly signify that it's different, and the mirror flap will only be associated with the K-3.

Now this doesn't mean they've adequately addressed the problem for current owners either, but at least Pentax doesn't seem to be pretending it's not there (like Nikon virtually did). So I don't think they have a huge hurdle to overcome.

Like with the D610, customers would gravitate toward the new model when the "instant info" quickly revealed it didn't have the problem. The sales of the new model won't be hurt. But if Ricoh badly handles existing customers it could still hurt them in the long run.
06-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rite Quote
Perhaps that approach would have worked a few years ago, but with the INSTANT INFO that prosumers have access to now on product reviews (especially those highlighting poor product support)
I am not a prosumer (don't eat that stuff), but do have experience with Ricoh customer support in regards to reported issues and user difficulties. I have found their support staff here in the U.S. to be responsive, intelligent, well-informed, and helpful. Now what aspect of poor product support are you referring to. I have reviewed your posts regarding the mirror-flap issues you had with your new K-3 (bummer). In those posts you did not mention poor customer support from Ricoh, only that you had returned the camera as defective.

To the best of my knowledge, all users on this site who have reported issues with their Pentax cameras have had their warranty claims satisfied, usually with a replacement camera. I read quite a few product reviews of the K-3 before purchasing (mid-April) and don't recall any that were critical of Ricoh in regards to product support or responsiveness to customer issues or any that mentioned any particular known issue with the K-3.* I also specifically asked the sales staff at my local brick and mortar store if their customers had issues with Pentax quality. I guess I just don't read the right reviews or talk to the right salespeople, eh?

I am not saying that all K-3 are perfect from the factory, but I have strong doubts that most are crawling with defects and that Ricoh is turning a deaf ear to a chorus of complaints from their customers.

Steve

* I just did a quick Google search for "Pentax K-3 mirror" and found a few results regarding the mirror flap issue. There were some here at PF and also on dpreview's forum and an article by Amy (DRabbit) on a photo blogger site that was picked up by a few other bloggers. The PF Facebook page had a single entry. There was also the expected note from RiceHigh. To be honest, I was expecting a little richer return.
06-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not saying that all K-3 are perfect from the factory, but I have strong doubts that most are crawling with defects and that Ricoh is turning a deaf ear to a chorus of complaints from their customers.

Steve

* I just did a quick Google search for "Pentax K-3 mirror" and found a few results regarding the mirror flap issue. There were some here at PF and also on dpreview's forum and an article by Amy (DRabbit) on a photo blogger site that was picked up by a few other bloggers. The PF Facebook page had a single entry. There was also the expected note from RiceHigh. To be honest, I was expecting a little richer return.
I agree with you. I think Nikon has handled their issues much worse lately. But I also think their position in the marketplace and the nature of their users may have made things look even worse than they are, with many vocal complainers. So I don't think Pentax has anywhere near the PR issues that they do right now. I realize I'm the one that brought up the Nikon comparison in the first place. I'm just saying that they have a much bigger problem than Pentax right now, and in Pentax' case it should be fairly easy for people to be forgiving, as long as they continue to address issues (although it sounds like the mirror flap is still a problem that needs to be fixed).

06-01-2014, 01:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm just saying that they have a much bigger problem than Pentax right now, and in Pentax' case it should be fairly easy for people to be forgiving, as long as they continue to address issues (although it sounds like the mirror flap is still a problem that needs to be fixed).
I definitely agree that Nikon has a bigger problem. How forgiving Pentax users should be is dependent in part on continued responsiveness to customer problems. I have been following the mirror issue with some interest since the beginning and feel that this is likely traceable to consistency of shutter/mirror components sourced from outside vendors. In any case, I have some "skin" in the game since my K-3 is in the same range of serial numbers as those reporting a mirror issue.

Steve
06-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

maybe (:
What is MILF in Lithuanian?
06-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What is MILF in Lithuanian?
MILC typo, was sleepy.
06-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

MILC typo, was sleepy.
Would've made for an "interesting" conversation. at least you didn't type "GILF"