Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 02:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Here's the scenario that I'm skeptical of, and I'd need proof of:
This is the sort of thing you can easily test yourself. No need to require proofs from anyone. bdery is a sensible, considered poster. No doubt he has done his own testing and his results work for him. There are others who post here who even shoot their K-x and K-5 at lower MP in order to attempt the same thing we are discussing.

I haven't tried this approach to NR myself (because I am lazy), but it certainly sounds like it may be worth a try.

05-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Hi guys,

The monkey been bugging me to upgrade to k3. Could I dial down the mp to 16 and get equally good high iso performance as my k5iis? If so I am ready to go! I need high iso to freeze action.

Thanks.
The K-5 has lower noise at pixel level, but for actual prints and full sized images the K-3 looks better. I have not regretted selling the K-5 and I do a good bit of music photography in low light venues. The noise from the K-3 appears as a much finer grain and is less noticeable than the K-5. 3200 ISO cleans up very well. 6400 needs work and good exposure.
05-31-2014, 01:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the insight. Now hunting for best price. ....
06-09-2014, 02:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I mean, that's what noise reduction software does -- smooths over noise but it also smooths over detail, and you find a balance point where the noise stops distracting you without the lack of detail annoying you too much...
Spot on maybe some are happy to shoot jpeg and accept the compromise 24 -> 16 in camera provides as a one and only NR pill. !

As a means of making the k3 exceed the k5ii @ hi-iso I guess it is a 'solution' but then again why not switch the k5ii down and again get better noise figure ......take it to the logical conclusion shoot both @ 1 pixel and neither have any noise (no detail either but hey ho )

Alternatively shoot RAW 24 mp use PP Nr and achieve images cleaner (due to small noise footprint) with more resolution than any k5 series camera can compare with still @24Mp.

i.e as you say
" where the noise stops distracting you without the lack of detail"