Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
May be useful:

06-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rawr has one solution, and here is another:

As someone else mentioned earlier:

1. get a USB (2 or 3 depending if your PC has USB3 connectivity) cable.
2. get a SD card reader
3. plug USB reader to USB cable
4. plug USB cable to PC
5. insert SD card in USB reader.

PC message will show up.

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:11 PM.
06-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
What type sd card you using and can your comp handle it?
SanDisk 32GB SDHC Extreme, I've never had any problems with the K5 or Kx

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
May be useful:
yes, I followed this and the camera is on MSC.
I tried it on my wife's notebook and I get the same message about USB not recognized.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 05:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
rawr has one solution, and here is another:

As someone else mentioned earlier:

1. get a USB (2 or 3 depending if your PC has USB3 connectivity) cable.
2. get a SD card reader
3. plug USB reader to USB cable
4. plug USB cable to PC
5. insert SD card in USB reader.

PC message will show up.
thanks, I've always just uploaded photos directly to the computer. I don't have a SD card reader, I guess they are available anywhere?
06-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

If you are using Windows XP you might have to change the USB transfer mode settings on the camera. The default of MSC should work with XP..

Edit: Never mind.

You should be able find card readers at any electronics/computer store. You might find them at WalMart or Target (though I haven't looked for them there). Try their websites.

Many USB printers have card slots on them these days.

06-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is the USB cable different than the one supplied on the K5?

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are using Windows XP you might have to change the USB transfer mode settings on the camera. The default of MSC should work with XP..
this computer is windows 7, camera is on MSC.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 06:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Edit: Never mind.

You should be able find card readers at any electronics/computer store. You might find them at WalMart or Target (though I haven't looked for them there). Try their websites.

Many USB printers have card slots on them these days.
thanks, I'll try their websites for a card reader.

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 06:02 PM ----------

It seems since the camera can't upload to either of our computers the settings must not be correct in the camera.
06-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
It seems since the camera can't upload to either of our computers the settings must not be correct in the camera.
...or bad cable or damaged fitting on camera. Does the cable still work on the K-5?

BTW, if you do opt to buy a card reader, be sure to get one that supports your 32 GB card. Many don't.

Steve
06-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes it works on the K5, I did find a slot on the computer where I can put the SD card, the computer says new equip being installed but I couldn't find where photos might upload to

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 06:30 PM ----------

OK, I was able to upload the photos directly from the card itself to the computer using the plug in on the side of the computer and they uploaded OK. Still not sure why I can't upload through the cable though. Maybe the K3 and K5 cables are different?

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 07:19 PM ----------

yes it works on the K5, I did find a slot on the computer where I can put the SD card, the computer says new equip being installed but I couldn't find where photos might upload to

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 06:30 PM ----------

OK, I was able to upload the photos directly from the card itself to the computer using the plug in on the side of the computer and they uploaded OK. Still not sure why I can't upload through the cable though. Maybe the K3 and K5 cables are different?
is it worth ordering the K3 cables and is it different than the K5?
thanks to all for the help, it is really appreciated. Bob
06-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The other method is to take the SD card out and place the SD card into the Pc's SD card slot. Window pops up, copy and paste into PC.

As some have said, the K3's cable is USB 3 while the K5 is USB 2. There is a difference in the connecting head of both cables. Open your K3 box and take the cable out.

06-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Open your K3 box and take the cable out.
At least in the US K-3 did not come with a USB cable.

I always use the card slot to transfer. I've never used a USB cable, just personal preference but I shoot on a tripod in the studio a lot so it is easier to pull the card than move the camera close to the computer. As to a new cable, not sure; the older k-5 cable SHOULD work as far as I can determine. So if there is something wrong with your k-3's USB port then a new cable will not help, but for diagnostic purposes it might be worth the small investment to make sure the camera is functioning correctly.

Last edited by jatrax; 06-06-2014 at 09:29 AM. Reason: missed a word
06-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I always use the card slot to transfer.
Me too. The main advantage to using a card reader is that a USB connection to the camera drains the batteries.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-06-14 at 08:59 AM ----------

It might be worth having. I bought one from monoprice.com that works quite nicely and did not break the bank:

Ultra Slim Series USB 3.0 Cable, A Male to Micro B Male, 3 Ft Black - Monoprice.com

The difference between the K-5 and K-3 cables is that the K-5 accepts a USB2 micro B cable while the K-3 has a USB3 micro B fitting. As noted in many of the comments above and in the copied page from your K-3's manual, your K-3 will accept both the USB2 and USB3 cables. If you have a cable that works with your K-5, that same cable can be used on your K-3 by engaging the fitting as in the diagram posted above.

Steve
06-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
The other method is to take the SD card out and place the SD card into the Pc's SD card slot. Window pops up, copy and paste into PC.

As some have said, the K3's cable is USB 3 while the K5 is USB 2. There is a difference in the connecting head of both cables. Open your K3 box and take the cable out.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
At least in the US K-3 did not come with a USB cable.

I always use the card slot to transfer. I've used a USB cable, just personal preference but I shoot on a tripod in the studio a lot so it is easier to pull the card than move the camera close to the computer. As to a new cable, not sure; the older k-5 cable SHOULD work as far as I can determine. So if there is something wrong with your k-3's USB port then a new cable will not help, but for diagnostic purposes it might be worth the small investment to make sure the camera is functioning correctly.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Me too. The main advantage to using a card reader is that a USB connection to the camera drains the batteries.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-06-14 at 08:59 AM ----------

It might be worth having. I bought one from monoprice.com that works quite nicely and did not break the bank:

Ultra Slim Series USB 3.0 Cable, A Male to Micro B Male, 3 Ft Black - Monoprice.com

The difference between the K-5 and K-3 cables is that the K-5 accepts a USB2 micro B cable while the K-3 has a USB3 micro B fitting. As noted in many of the comments above and in the copied page from your K-3's manual, your K-3 will accept both the USB2 and USB3 cables. If you have a cable that works with your K-5, that same cable can be used on your K-3 by engaging the fitting as in the diagram posted above.

Steve
thank you everyone for the help here, I had never used the slot on the computer, didn't even know it was there, and that seems to be much easier and quicker than connecting cables and waiting for upload to the computer. I did order the correct K3 cable to see if there is a problem with the camera ports and as said a reasonable price to verify. Now I will go out and play with the K3 and see what pops up, the learning curve seems to be quite easy having a K5 and Kx. Again, thanks to all it is really appreciated. Bob
06-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Glad we could help.

Steve
06-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #28
Pentaxian

The USB 3 micro b socket should be backwards compatible with USB 2 micro b:

Just for the heck of it did you try changing the USB mode on the camera? I rarely use the USB cable on my K10D but once in a great while when I do Windows doesn't recognize the camera and changing the mode gives Windows a whack on the side of the head.
06-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I changed the setting but it didn't make any difference, it will be interesting to see what happens when I get the other cable. I'll follow up and leave a message if this gets solved. thanks Bob
06-07-2014, 01:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Recommend using SD card reader approach:
- it is a lot easier to destroy your camera usb socket from repeated cable in/out than SD card in/out
- your camera tends to be placed in precarious position while usb cable is attached
- your camera cannot be used while usb is attached
- usb cable approach drain your camera battery, SD card reader drains from your computer
- most new computers have built in SD card reader slot, same for TV.
- one less cable to lug along. External SD card readers are very compact.
- no worries about usb alphabet soup