Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Recommend using SD card reader approach:
- it is a lot easier to destroy your camera usb socket from repeated cable in/out than SD card in/out
- your camera tends to be placed in precarious position while usb cable is attached
- your camera cannot be used while usb is attached
- usb cable approach drain your camera battery, SD card reader drains from your computer
- most new computers have built in SD card reader slot, same for TV.
- one less cable to lug along. External SD card readers are very compact.
- no worries about usb alphabet soup
I've always used the cable but now that I have been introduced to the simplicity of the SD card, I think that is the best approach. Thanks for taking the time to list the above, much appreciated Bob.

06-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Transfer direct from SD card is much faster than through USB2 cable. May not be true with USB3. Just remember to put a card back into the camera. Nothing more frustrating than turning on the camera miles away from home and seeing the "No Memory Card" message.
06-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Transfer direct from SD card is much faster than through USB2 cable. May not be true with USB3. Just remember to put a card back into the camera. Nothing more frustrating than turning on the camera miles away from home and seeing the "No Memory Card" message.
good reminder, when I shot film I did that at Christmas. My wife still reminds me of the "lost Christmas" we had.
10-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #34

Hi Bob,
I recently bought my K3 and it worked well but lately have not been able to upload images to my computer with a new USB3 cable despite it working previously on the camera. The solution to my problem was to set the USB Connection on the second screen of the "spanner" window from MSC to PTP. All is good now.
Regards,
Peter

10-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K Sera Quote
Hi Bob,
I recently bought my K3 and it worked well but lately have not been able to upload images to my computer with a new USB3 cable despite it working previously on the camera. The solution to my problem was to set the USB Connection on the second screen of the "spanner" window from MSC to PTP. All is good now.
Regards,
Peter
Thanks for the tip and welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve