Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to upload photos from K3 to computer

I just purchased a K3 and formatted the memory card but can not get photos to upload to the computer. I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5, any ideas? thanks Bob

06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I just purchased a K3 and formatted the memory card but can not get photos to upload to the computer. I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5, any ideas? thanks Bob
The cord should work, but make sure it's attached securely. The K-3 supports USB3 which has an wider connector, which sits a bit more securely in the port.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

What kind of computer? Mac or PC? When you plug in the cable does the computer recognize something was plugged in? Have you tried copying from the SD card instead of the cable?
06-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The cord should work, but make sure it's attached securely. The K-3 supports USB3 which has an wider connector, which sits a bit more securely in the port.
Adam, I'm plugging it into what says HDMI, right?

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What kind of computer? Mac or PC? When you plug in the cable does the computer recognize something was plugged in? Have you tried copying from the SD card instead of the cable?
It's a PC, plugging into computer does not get recognized. How do I copy from a SD card? Never done that.

06-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5
How did you do that?

The K-5 has a USB2 connector. The K-3 is USB3. The connectors are different.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-05-2014 at 04:14 PM.
06-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm plugging it into what says HDMI, right?
No. HDMI is a video output port. The long connector above the HDMI port is USB3.
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I usually take the card out of the camera, and then put it into the SD Card slot on the PC. Folder pops up, drag and drop.

When I have tons o' pics, I grab the USB3 cable, plug it into the USB port on the K-3, then plug into the USB3 port on the PC... folder pops up, drag and drop.

I didn't have to install any software or drivers, the PC took care of anything or everything I needed.
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It was real tight and I thought I had the wrong insertion point. I put it into the other port and I get a message that the USB device not recognized.

06-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
How did you do that?

The K-5 has a USB2 connector. The K-3 is USB3. The same cable will not fit, the connectors are different.
You can use the USB2 cable on the K3, it just won't get the speeds of USB 3 (as it is lacking the extra connector)
06-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
You can use the USB2 cable on the K3, it just won't get the speeds of USB 3 (as it is lacking the extra connector)
I have it plugged in but it comes back on the computer the usb device is not recognized.
06-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It was real tight and I thought I had the wrong insertion point. I put it into the other port and I get a message that the USB device not recognized.
You may have damaged the HDMI connector on your camera and/or the cable from your K-5.

The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3. There, it should work as a standard USB2 device.
06-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I have it plugged in but it comes back on the computer the usb device is not recognized.
Hmmm...I am able to connect my K-3 with a USB2 cable to both my Windows 7 (64 bit) computers. The K-3 is detected as an external USB drive.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3.
Bottom end. It accepts a USB Micro B the same as my Samsung cell phone. The top section is for the USB3-specific pins.

It is a rotten shame that Ricoh chose not include appropriate USB and HDMI cables with the camera. Shame on you Ricoh!!!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You may have damaged the HDMI connector on your camera and/or the cable from your K-5.

The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3. There, it should work as a standard USB2 device.
I tried another cable, you're saying it should be connected to the top connector of the 2 available?
06-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bottom end. It accepts a USB Micro B the same as my Samsung cell phone. The top section is for the USB3-specific pins.
Yes, you're right - pardon me. I had the camera sitting upside down in my lap.
06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What type sd card you using and can your comp handle it?