Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,282
How to upload photos from K3 to computer

I just purchased a K3 and formatted the memory card but can not get photos to upload to the computer. I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5, any ideas? thanks Bob

06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,954
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I just purchased a K3 and formatted the memory card but can not get photos to upload to the computer. I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5, any ideas? thanks Bob
The cord should work, but make sure it's attached securely. The K-3 supports USB3 which has an wider connector, which sits a bit more securely in the port.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,286
What kind of computer? Mac or PC? When you plug in the cable does the computer recognize something was plugged in? Have you tried copying from the SD card instead of the cable?
06-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The cord should work, but make sure it's attached securely. The K-3 supports USB3 which has an wider connector, which sits a bit more securely in the port.
Adam, I'm plugging it into what says HDMI, right?

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What kind of computer? Mac or PC? When you plug in the cable does the computer recognize something was plugged in? Have you tried copying from the SD card instead of the cable?
It's a PC, plugging into computer does not get recognized. How do I copy from a SD card? Never done that.

06-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member
OregonJim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5
How did you do that?

The K-5 has a USB2 connector. The K-3 is USB3. The connectors are different.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-05-2014 at 04:14 PM.
06-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member
OregonJim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I'm plugging it into what says HDMI, right?
No. HDMI is a video output port. The long connector above the HDMI port is USB3.
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 800
I usually take the card out of the camera, and then put it into the SD Card slot on the PC. Folder pops up, drag and drop.

When I have tons o' pics, I grab the USB3 cable, plug it into the USB port on the K-3, then plug into the USB3 port on the PC... folder pops up, drag and drop.

I didn't have to install any software or drivers, the PC took care of anything or everything I needed.
06-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The cord should work, but make sure it's attached securely. The K-3 supports USB3 which has an wider connector, which sits a bit more securely in the port.
It was real tight and I thought I had the wrong insertion point. I put it into the other port and I get a message that the USB device not recognized.

06-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 800
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
How did you do that?

The K-5 has a USB2 connector. The K-3 is USB3. The same cable will not fit, the connectors are different.
You can use the USB2 cable on the K3, it just won't get the speeds of USB 3 (as it is lacking the extra connector)
06-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
You can use the USB2 cable on the K3, it just won't get the speeds of USB 3 (as it is lacking the extra connector)
I have it plugged in but it comes back on the computer the usb device is not recognized.
06-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member
OregonJim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
It was real tight and I thought I had the wrong insertion point. I put it into the other port and I get a message that the USB device not recognized.
You may have damaged the HDMI connector on your camera and/or the cable from your K-5.

The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3. There, it should work as a standard USB2 device.
06-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,182
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I have it plugged in but it comes back on the computer the usb device is not recognized.
Hmmm...I am able to connect my K-3 with a USB2 cable to both my Windows 7 (64 bit) computers. The K-3 is detected as an external USB drive.


Steve

---------- Post added 06-05-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3.
Bottom end. It accepts a USB Micro B the same as my Samsung cell phone. The top section is for the USB3-specific pins.

It is a rotten shame that Ricoh chose not include appropriate USB and HDMI cables with the camera. Shame on you Ricoh!!!


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-05-2014 at 04:27 PM.
06-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Bob Harris's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,282
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
You may have damaged the HDMI connector on your camera and/or the cable from your K-5.

The only place it will fit is at the very top end of the long USB3 connector on the side of the K-3. There, it should work as a standard USB2 device.
I tried another cable, you're saying it should be connected to the top connector of the 2 available?
06-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member
OregonJim's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Bottom end. It accepts a USB Micro B the same as my Samsung cell phone. The top section is for the USB3-specific pins.
Yes, you're right - pardon me. I had the camera sitting upside down in my lap.
06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Pepe Le Pew's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 589
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I just purchased a K3 and formatted the memory card but can not get photos to upload to the computer. I used the USB cord that I have always used on my K5, any ideas? thanks Bob
What type sd card you using and can your comp handle it?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cable, camera, card, computer, default, dslr, k-3, k-5, k3, message, msc, pc, pentax k-3, photos, photos from k3, plug, post, reader, sd, upload, upload photos, usb, usb cable, windows
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE Adam Post Your Photos! 190 01-15-2017 11:13 AM
Photos Are Being Deleted From SD Card After Transferring To Computer monoloco Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 04-16-2014 02:41 PM
Question Unable To Upload Photos DavidSKAF3 Site Suggestions and Help 3 12-17-2013 05:43 PM
how to connect x-5 to computer LynneBH Pentax Compact Cameras 4 06-22-2013 02:35 PM
Photos upload to computer in wrong order markaphone Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 08-09-2012 04:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:29 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top