Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
K-3, AF.S Focus-Priority question

AF lens on camera, body set to AF:

With AF.S and Focus-Priority set, the shutter doesn't release unless the camera is giving focus confirmation, as expected.

AF lens on camera, body set to MF:

With AF.S and Focus-Priority as above, the shutter releases whether there's focus confirmation or not.

Firmware 1.03.

Why the inconsistency?

06-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 23
It is supposed to work that way.
06-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muzicantini Quote
It is supposed to work that way.
Is it documented anywhere?
06-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 23
Well, I don't know about documentation but that's the logic. When you use manual focus te confirmation is only an assistant, it shouldn't interfere with the timing of the shutter release. The other option is focus catch, which can be done with manual focus lenses - you press the shutter and it shoots as soon as it confirms focus lock.

06-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by muzicantini Quote
Well, I don't know about documentation but that's the logic. When you use manual focus te confirmation is only an assistant, it shouldn't interfere with the timing of the shutter release. The other option is focus catch, which can be done with manual focus lenses - you press the shutter and it shoots as soon as it confirms focus lock.
Yes, and if the Focus-Priority selection prevented OOF shutter release with the body set to MF, Focus Catch would work with AF lenses as well.

Given that they've given us Release Priority as an option, it seems a pointless restriction to disable the effect of Focus Priority with the body set to MF.
06-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Yes, and if the Focus-Priority selection prevented OOF shutter release with the body set to MF, Focus Catch would work with AF lenses as well.

Given that they've given us Release Priority as an option, it seems a pointless restriction to disable the effect of Focus Priority with the body set to MF.
Well, then you wouldn't be able to take manual focused pics that the camera thinks is oof, goes completely against the thought of manual settings. If you got lenses with a mf switch on the lens you can do that though.
06-07-2014, 04:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, then you wouldn't be able to take manual focused pics that the camera thinks is oof, goes completely against the thought of manual settings. If you got lenses with a mf switch on the lens you can do that though.
Yes you would. That's what Release Priority allows you to do.

That's what I meant by:

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Given that they've given us Release Priority as an option, it seems a pointless restriction to disable the effect of Focus Priority with the body set to MF.
06-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Yes you would. That's what Release Priority allows you to do.

That's what I meant by:
Still, that would require you to do a lot of menu diving if you want Focus-Priority when using AF (the standard) and having a fully manual mf option. For me I don't have any problems at all with the things you mentioned as most of the my commonly used lenses got MF/AF switches so I got every option easily available if set to focus priority.

06-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,888
There is no inconsistency here. If you set AF.S to focus priority, that means you are relying (or using) the AF mechanism of the camera, therefore, the camera will act accordingly. If you switch the focus mechanism to MF, you are not using the camera's AF system mechanism, therefore, the AF.S or AF.C setting does not apply, same goes for catch-in-focus feature.
06-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,503
Manual focus is manual focus. The ability to get shutter release at any time is why we use that setting. I believe that the functionality you are wanting is catch-in-focus in AF mode, but that is only available with manual focus lenses or AF lenses that have a MF/AF switch on the lens.


Steve
06-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 109
I think it is an inconsistency. If the focus priority setting is going to be ignored in combination with some other setting (such as MF), it should at least be greyed out when that setting is in effect. There is a similar problem when setting the "AF Button" mode. In AF1 mode the AFS focus priority is respected, whereas in AF2, the focus priority setting is ignored

John.
06-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,503
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
I think it is an inconsistency. If the focus priority setting is going to be ignored in combination with some other setting (such as MF), it should at least be greyed out when that setting is in effect. There is a similar problem when setting the "AF Button" mode. In AF1 mode the AFS focus priority is respected, whereas in AF2, the focus priority setting is ignored

John.
The OPs complaint is that the camera allows shutter release in MF mode when the subject is not in focus. The focus priority setting is a red herring.


Steve
06-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
I think it is an inconsistency. If the focus priority setting is going to be ignored in combination with some other setting (such as MF), it should at least be greyed out when that setting is in effect. There is a similar problem when setting the "AF Button" mode. In AF1 mode the AFS focus priority is respected, whereas in AF2, the focus priority setting is ignored

John.
But you say it yourself, it's MF and not AF. MF mode is all in all made to circumvent the AF and therefore it's logical that AF settings don't affect MF.
06-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 389
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Manual focus is manual focus. The ability to get shutter release at any time is why we use that setting. I believe that the functionality you are wanting is catch-in-focus in AF mode, but that is only available with manual focus lenses or AF lenses that have a MF/AF switch on the lens.
Yeah I know, but there's no reason why that has to be the case.

They could choose to have the CiF switch work for AF lenses too with the body switched to manual.

It's a 'nice to have', for sure, but so are a lot of things that they've implemented quite nicely.
06-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,503
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
Yeah I know, but there's no reason why that has to be the case.

They could choose to have the CiF switch work for AF lenses too with the body switched to manual.

It's a 'nice to have', for sure, but so are a lot of things that they've implemented quite nicely.
As a configuration setting, perhaps. For general use, I prefer to do the focusing when the camera is in MF mode. If I want focus confirm I simply listen for the beep. The best of both worlds, in my opinion. I suppose I might be interested in having CiF with my AF Sigma macro lens, but I am not sure it would be more effective than simply attempting to lock focus the regular way.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, af.s, body, camera, confirmation, dslr, focus, k-3, k3, lens, pentax k-3, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3's AF.C with Focus priority. skyer Pentax K-3 18 12-11-2014 05:44 PM
K5 AF "focus priority" revisiting with questions ! jpzk Pentax K-5 4 02-13-2014 08:38 AM
K-3 AF question (again or not) sinus007 Pentax K-3 4 12-28-2013 05:58 PM
How good is the K-3's AF-C tracking AF? Jeff Charles Pentax K-3 6 12-09-2013 03:41 PM
Pentax K-x: focus confirmation in AF-S, AF-C, not AF-A manteiv Pentax DSLR Discussion 24 12-10-2010 07:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top