Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Used K-3 or NEW K5-IIs SAME Price

The opportunity for a used K-3 with less than 2,000 shutter clicks for the same price as a NEW K-5IIs has presented itself to me. The used K-3 would undoubtedly NOT have a warranty whereas the K5IIs would.

So what would you choose?

I'm coming off a K-5 only a year and a half old.

I want better autofocus in low light with my FA 43, and more accurate auto focus in daylight with my Pentax F*300.

06-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

K3 pretty easily imo. That smaller center focus point really helps.

Edit: I really should have said, even if everything else is equal, having that smaller center point is so useful - less chance of misfocus. Many other good reasons listed by others below.

Last edited by ruggiex; 06-07-2014 at 09:36 PM.
06-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3. The K-3 has a superior AF and superior sensor. I love the K-3 with my FA Ltd and it will work very well with your FA-43.

My 5 cents...
06-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 for all the above reasons, plus you will be able to crop more, thus getting even more reach from your F*300.

06-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They'll both improve your AF, but the K-3 should make even more of an improvement. The K-3 also seems to have a slightly nicer classic, less cold rendering to the images than the K-5 IIs (I consider this the worst (perhaps only?) drawback to my K-5 IIs - it's not quite as good as the K-5 in this respect, and I believe the K-3 beats them both).

As long as you think there's nothing wrong with the K-3 I believe it would be the better choice.
06-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In your shoes I'd probably go with the K-5IIs. It's a reliable performer, you get full warranty, and it's a smoother transition than going from the K-5 to the K-3, in terms of handling and IQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
That smaller center focus point really helps.
It's not just the AF point size, but their density within the K-3 AF frame, and their extra sensitivity.
K-3 AF points

K-5II AF points:

So better auto-focus in low-light and more accurate AF with telephoto is probably something the K-3 would handle better than a K-5IIs.

But the K-5IIs is certainly no slouch either. It should deliver better low-light AF than the K-5, and still provide virtually identical handling and ergonomics to the K-5.
06-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also prefer the button placement of the K-3 over my K-5 IIs. The latter is now only used at events where I need two DSLR bodies.

06-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have recently purchased a K-3 coming off a K-5 after 2 years.

This was at B&H and I had a good look at the K-5iis in the shop before I made the decision.

A couple of thoughts that I considered:
-if you have a grip for the K-5 it will not work on the K-3, so you will be up for the cost of a new one
-the control layout on the K-5iis is the same as the K-5, with the K-3 you have some re-learning to do
-the K-3 is heaver than the K-5iis, it is noticeable, but I have not found it an issue for me
-the K-3 definitely eats batteries faster than the K-5 - I am swapping out during the day when I am travelling now with the K-3, whereas I would almost always get a day out of the K-5

I do not think the image quality is noticeably different between the K-5iis and the K-3 - especially if you are only on screens, maybe for really large prints.

In the end I went for the K-3 for the following reasons:
- the camera response was quicker
- 2 SD cards, just some back up in critical situations
- the LCD is much brighter
- the better focus
- the Flucard ability - I don't have one yet, but something to try in the future
- much better video - not something I use much at all, but good to have if needed

Those are just my observations and my preferences. Given I intend to keep and use the K-3 for the next 3 years, I felt in the end it gave me more future proofing than the K-5iis. There wasn't a huge price difference, so I brought the K-3, along with a 3 year warranty.

That is the only factor in your decision - I ended up buying the K-3 because my K-5 broke at 2yrs old and 30,000 clicks. It happens, and it was out of warranty (I only had one year). I would not have been keen to buy another Pentax DSLR without an extended warranty.

Cheers

Ross
06-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 no question. And are you sure there is no warranty? It differs by country but it might be transferable if any time remains.
06-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
The opportunity for a used K-3 with less than 2,000 shutter clicks for the same price as a NEW K-5IIs has presented itself to me. The used K-3 would undoubtedly NOT have a warranty whereas the K5IIs would.

So what would you choose?

I'm coming off a K-5 only a year and a half old.

I want better autofocus in low light with my FA 43, and more accurate auto focus in daylight with my Pentax F*300.
I'd go for a K-3 is the shutter count is that low...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
Forum Member

K3 no question. If the original owner never registered it in any way with Pentax then a simple "gift" receipt the owner can get from their retailer will solve any issues of using any remaining warranty issues, if indeed you ever need it.

Even w/o warranty coverage getting a K3 for the new price of a IIs, which in the US can still be had for just under $700us, is really a nice deal. However if it's still going you can buy a K3 with grip and some other goodie, don't recall which, and the ability to add the 3yr warranty for about $30 more but that bundle was at B&H recently for $1196 or so...you get a lot for that extra $500 though if you don't have the cash then buy the used body.
06-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can get the original owner to give you his original receipt, you might still be able to have the warranty on the K3. Call Pentax to confirm.

If you're going to use the camera for work and/or need it to be 100% reliable, go for the K5-IIs.
If it's mostly for a hobby and you can live with some of the bugs and a higher likelihood of possibly having to send it in for warranty repair, go for the K3.

Just my opinion. I know others would disagree.
06-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmmm....after reading all these recent posts on the K3 mirror flutter and camera lock up problems, maybe I'll wait a bit till it gets all sorted out before I buy. My K5 has been flawless for a year and a half now. I'd hate to be disappointed by the K3's poor quality control.
06-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hmmmm....after reading all these recent posts on the K3 mirror flutter and camera lock up problems, maybe I'll wait a bit till it gets all sorted out before I buy. My K5 has been flawless for a year and a half now. I'd hate to be disappointed by the K3's poor quality control.
Can you ascertain whether the seller's had this problem, and whether it's been in for service?

Also, if WR is important to you, keep in mind that many forum members believe WR seals don't work well (perhaps barely at all?) after a service center's opened the camera.
06-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #15
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5's have had the same problems reported too. If it ever happens to you using the camera pull the battery out and then it should come right. I had 2 very short instances in 2 years with my K-5. I have had my K-3 for one month, so a bit early - but nothing yet.