Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 01:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
BG-5 Grip miraculous revival

Hello all!

I have bought the BG-5 for my K-3 and had a total of 4 original Pentax batteries. The controls on the grip functioned perfectly, but it did not recognize any Li-Ion battery and with any fully charged NiMHs the camera just showed 'depleted'. I have lent the grip to someone for a couple of weeks and it worked flawlessly on their camera.

I was on the point of returning the camera when I tried it again and magic: it worked perfectly with any battery, with battery in the grip only, in grip first mode...

Did anyone experience something similar or do you have have any thoughts how this could have happened?

06-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #2

Perhaps when you mounted it the first time, it wasn't fully seated. There are a lot of pins on the connector, all of which must be in full contact for the grip to function properly.
06-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It could have been oxidation/dirt on the grip's battery contacts (either battery to grip or grip to camera) and the repeated 'mount/un-mount' process polished it off. If it happens again try gently rubbing the electrical contacts with the tip of a pencil eraser (the pink ones are harder than the white and clean better).
07-13-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
Boc

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I suspected oxidation as well so I cleand both contects thoroughly, it wasn't that. On the other hand I found an interreting correlation: if I held the camea upside down when mounting the grip, it mostly worked fine, when holding it right sied up, the issue appeared. There is a sensing microswitch on the grip, I am suspecting that. Nevertheless this is weird, to say the least and serious equipment should not be gravity-sensitive, I think...

07-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Boc Quote
Hello all!

I have bought the BG-5 for my K-3 and had a total of 4 original Pentax batteries. The controls on the grip functioned perfectly, but it did not recognize any Li-Ion battery and with any fully charged NiMHs the camera just showed 'depleted'. I have lent the grip to someone for a couple of weeks and it worked flawlessly on their camera.

I was on the point of returning the camera when I tried it again and magic: it worked perfectly with any battery, with battery in the grip only, in grip first mode...

Did anyone experience something similar or do you have have any thoughts how this could have happened?
Yes, me....
This week in fact...all very strange....I took the grip off then ut it back on and it works...for now.
Will keep an eye on it though, both body and grip are about a week old (for me)