Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

In-Camera HDR

How well does this work on the K-3? Does the resulting file stay as a RAW file (if you are shooting raw)

06-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RAW is RAW.. No effects are applied to RAW.
HDR is saved out as JPEG.
06-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The in-camera HDR on the K3 is a bit different than with the previous capabilities the various bodies. Here is some additional information.
06-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
RAW is RAW.. No effects are applied to RAW.
HDR is saved out as JPEG.
This isn't quite correct on the K-3. You can shoot an HDR raw file, which essentially combines 3 exposures into a very big RAW file (80-100Mb). You have to develop the shadows/highlights in your RAW converter to get an HDR effect.

In JPEG mode, the camera does it for you. IMO the results form RAW are better, so I recommend either using that or combining JPEGs on your own.

Here is a sample HDR file developed from a K-3 raw file:

Here's the out-of-camera JPEG (in high/3 mode):

Here's the DNG:
https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k3review/samplephotos/IMGP3091.DNG

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quick - call the National Enquirer!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This isn't quite correct on the K-3. You can shoot an HDR raw file, which essentially combines 3 exposures into a very big RAW file (80-100Mb). You have to develop the shadows/highlights in your RAW converter to get an HDR effect.

In JPEG mode, the camera does it for you. IMO the results form RAW are better, so I recommend either using that or combining JPEGs on your own.

Here is a sample HDR file developed from a K-3 raw file:

Here's the out-of-camera JPEG (in high/3 mode):
Your raw vs. jpg comparison is awesome. But even more important, I'm pretty sure a UFO is visible in the humungous jpg image! Left of center, near the top. Phoenix, look out.
06-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

I've been using the in camera HDR for interior work. Here is a recent project. It's getting published in a major design magazine so I guess it works rather well!! The RAW (HDR) files were processed in Lightroom.
Loft Condo Renovation

Peter
06-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Then that's three RAW files, none of which are HDR. From what I've read, they need the PENTAX software to be handled as a merged tri-RAW file.
And, if you then have to push the shadows and highlights in your RAW developer, it's hardly 'in-camera' RAW HDR which the OP asked about, is it?

06-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Then that's three RAW files, none of which are HDR. From what I've read, they need the PENTAX software to be handled as a merged tri-RAW file.
And, if you then have to push the shadows and highlights in your RAW developer, it's hardly 'in-camera' RAW HDR which the OP asked about, is it?
Well, the the file merging is handled in camera- you get a single file on your SD card rather than 3 separate ones with different exposures. This feature isn't available on earlier bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Then this is a new definition of RAW, Adam.
And to be frank, it's not what I have read how the K-3 creates a HDR from RAW.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
What I've found is that the three exposures are bundled together by the camera into one BIG DNG file. The Software that is supplied with the K-3 has a function to extract these three raw images and save them separately. Once you do that, they could be used by Luminance HDR, Photomatix, Photoshop, etc. to roll your own HDR.
To get the one previewed by the camera you have to "develop" it to a JPG or TIFF, but that won't be a high-bit HDR.
Still looking for more info on this feature.
This is hardly 'in-camera RAW HDR'. It's just a trick.
06-11-2014, 03:27 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Petey44 Quote
I've been using the in camera HDR for interior work. Here is a recent project. It's getting published in a major design magazine so I guess it works rather well!! The RAW (HDR) files were processed in Lightroom.

Peter
Is it me, or is the first pic decidedly in need of a touch of anti-clockwise correction?
06-11-2014, 04:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's you - you're off topic.
06-11-2014, 04:08 AM   #12

It's you - you're off topic.
The verticals are off, no doubt. It needs a degree or two of anti-clockwise.

And I disagree that it's off topic. The introduction of the pictures into the thread made them game for comment.
06-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can disagree all you like. Fact is you're going off topic by critiquing a photo linked to another site. Your critique is not related to the HDR processing is it?
So how is this helping the OP with his In-camera HDR question or anyone else interested in the K-3's RAW HDR?
06-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Den
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve, perhaps I didn't ask correctly. I was referring to what the others have talked about. In-camera merge of 3 RAW exposures (unprocessed HDR RAW, other than merging) to be further processed. Thanks for the info guys.
06-11-2014, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You can disagree all you like...
...And down into the off-topic rat hole we all fall