Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK. I just got back from picking up my K-3 at C.R.I.S. All my custom settings were intact, even though the camera was released and returned with no battery in it. I checked the date/time setting, and it was on target. At first I thought there was a problem with automatic focusing, but they had re-set the focus lever to manual. Simply flipping it back to autofocus cured that, although I had a momentary start.

They indicated the following on the receipt:

REPAIRED MIRROR OVERRUN PROBLEM
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

Needless to say, I will continue to use the camera in my normal manner, and if I encounter the mirror flutter problem again, I will be all over Pentax like gravy on a necktie, and will definitely let everyone here know.
I do NOT anticipate any problems, trusting that the problem has been examined by the experts and that a fix has been applied. I would also hope that others who have had warranty service on the mirror flutter problem will sound off loud and clear if the problem re-occurs after the "fix."

Hope everyone else's experience with C.R.I.S. will be as satisfactory as mine. I think they did a good job.

John

06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks again for keeping folks up to date with your service experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
MIRROR OVERRUN
That's an interesting phrasing. The Wikipedia for overrun has entries that suggest mechanical things (eg freewheeling, overrun brake etc) or software ( ie buffer overflow, or buffer overrun). I guess since applying a firmware fix is the solution, it's software.
06-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
"runaway" or "flopping" would sound unprofessional
06-18-2014, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

Some of the early K5 also exhibited the mirror flop issue. When sent in to service those, the Pentax official comments always referred to it as 'Mirror Overrun'. What bothers me is why is Pentax not able to get to the bottom of this issue in successive models. I have seen this issue in Kx, Kr, K5 all the way up until K3!
Mine hasnt exhibited the mirror flop behavior but I feel disappointed that Pentax doesnt want to fix such a fundamental problem.

Last edited by danny09; 06-18-2014 at 10:28 PM.
06-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Forum Member

Buying a K-3 this weekend before the promotion ends with the free grip. I have to, since I've updated my signature.

Last edited by markf; 06-20-2014 at 09:29 PM.
06-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Some of the early K5 also exhibited the mirror flop issue. When sent in to service those, the Pentax official comments always referred to it as 'Mirror Overrun'. What bothers me is why is Pentax not able to get to the bottom of this issue in successive models. I have seen this issue in Kx, Kr, K5 all the way up until K3!
Mine hasnt exhibited the mirror flop behavior but I feel disappointed that Pentax doesnt want to fix such a fundamental problem.
This has always been part of my concern as well... the fact that this problem -- or rather symptom -- has been seen in other Pentax models. I want them to get to the bottom of it so we don't have to worry about it cropping up with their next DSLR!

BTW, interestingly enough, three other K bodies I've shot in all the same conditions as the K3... they haven't had a single problem. The K5-II and K5-IIs do not seem to suffering mirror-flapping, at least not that I've run into with all three bodies getting VERY heavy use. The shutter on the K5-II died at 115,000 shutter actuations, but I completely expected that. Bother K5-IIs bodies I have are still performing excellently, and I'm probably at about 40,000 shutter actuations with each.
06-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
One of the best reasons for Pentax to go mirrorless instead then?

07-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #38

Interesting Result

Having had the mirror flap issue (twice in April), and seeing others report that firmware version 1.10 didn't fix it, I broke down and sent my K-3 to CRIS for the factory fix. I just got the camera back today. What I found interesting is that I sent it to them with firmware version 1.10 loaded. I got it back from them with firmware version 1.03 loaded. Since we can't go backward with firmware, obviously the fix does involve firmware at a level not available to the user. I have since reapplied firmware 1.10—hopefully, that won't step on whatever the "fix" is that they applied.
07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by rodeknyt Quote
I sent it to them with firmware version 1.10 loaded. I got it back from them with firmware version 1.03 loaded. I have since reapplied firmware 1.10—hopefully, that won't step on whatever the "fix" is that they applied.
Oof. Having worked in software for 35 years, this worries me. You may want to call them up and ask them. If indeed it was a special version of the 1.03 firmware that fixed the problem, you certainly have overwritten it. If instead, however, it was another component that they replaced, they *may* have flashed the firmware back to 1.03 for testing. In that case, you're fine. But I think I'd ask them if it was a firmware fix or not. Amid all the apparent secrecy about what the fix actually is, perhaps they'd be willing to divulge just that piece of information. Especially since, if it indeed was a special firmware fix, you'd never be able to upgrade the firmware again, and they should have told you! For that reason alone, it seems probable that it is *not* a firmware fix, but another fix entirely (perhaps an ECR on one of the circuit boards).
08-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Oof. Having worked in software for 35 years, this worries me. You may want to call them up and ask them. If indeed it was a special version of the 1.03 firmware that fixed the problem, you certainly have overwritten it. If instead, however, it was another component that they replaced, they *may* have flashed the firmware back to 1.03 for testing. In that case, you're fine. But I think I'd ask them if it was a firmware fix or not. Amid all the apparent secrecy about what the fix actually is, perhaps they'd be willing to divulge just that piece of information. Especially since, if it indeed was a special firmware fix, you'd never be able to upgrade the firmware again, and they should have told you! For that reason alone, it seems probable that it is *not* a firmware fix, but another fix entirely (perhaps an ECR on one of the circuit boards).
My understanding is that the "fix" was a separate firmware substitution for a particular integrated circuit that monitors the voltage to the mirror control circuit. This has to be applied at a repair facility, and bears no relationship to the user-upgradable firmware. I have had this "fix" at C.R.I.S. while my camera had firmware version 1.03; I have upgraded since to 1.10, and can thankfully report (knock on wood) that I have experienced no further mirror flop problems since the "fix" on 6/16/14. So far, so good with me.

John
08-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
My understanding is that the "fix" was a separate firmware substitution
Hmmmm...I heard it is an adjustment (change of clock/timer setting IIRC) made to a subsystem that required a utility that cannot be be properly packaged or leveraged by an end-user. Why they went back to v1.03 is anyone's guess.

Steve
08-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #42

As I said, it seems quite secretive. Has anyone actually *asked* CRIS what they fixed? Are they under some sort of nondisclosure agreement with Ricoh to avoid divulging the actual issue? Conspiracy theorists want to know.
08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
As I said, it seems quite secretive. Has anyone actually *asked* CRIS what they fixed? Are they under some sort of nondisclosure agreement with Ricoh to avoid divulging the actual issue? Conspiracy theorists want to know.
It is obviously a conspiracy as those of us who are active on the "why I won't buy a K-3" thread know. The reach of the hociR knows no bounds and the ultimate destiny of Tokyo rests in the balance.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3.html

Excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat...

Steve
08-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...I heard it is an adjustment (change of clock/timer setting IIRC) made to a subsystem that required a utility that cannot be be properly packaged or leveraged by an end-user. Why they went back to v1.03 is anyone's guess.

Steve
Perhaps they changed the whole board for a new revision that is already fixed, and these boards were produced when firmware 1.03 was current. Either that or their flop fixed firmware overwrites all the various firmwares in the camera.
08-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Perhaps they changed the whole board for a new revision that is already fixed, and these boards were produced when firmware 1.03 was current. Either that or their flop fixed firmware overwrites all the various firmwares in the camera.
Both are quite possible.

Steve