Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
OK. I just got back from picking up my K-3 at C.R.I.S. All my custom settings were intact, even though the camera was released and returned with no battery in it. I checked the date/time setting, and it was on target. At first I thought there was a problem with automatic focusing, but they had re-set the focus lever to manual. Simply flipping it back to autofocus cured that, although I had a momentary start.

They indicated the following on the receipt:

REPAIRED MIRROR OVERRUN PROBLEM
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

Needless to say, I will continue to use the camera in my normal manner, and if I encounter the mirror flutter problem again, I will be all over Pentax like gravy on a necktie, and will definitely let everyone here know.
I do NOT anticipate any problems, trusting that the problem has been examined by the experts and that a fix has been applied. I would also hope that others who have had warranty service on the mirror flutter problem will sound off loud and clear if the problem re-occurs after the "fix."

Hope everyone else's experience with C.R.I.S. will be as satisfactory as mine. I think they did a good job.

John

06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,581
Thanks again for keeping folks up to date with your service experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
MIRROR OVERRUN
That's an interesting phrasing. The Wikipedia for overrun has entries that suggest mechanical things (eg freewheeling, overrun brake etc) or software ( ie buffer overflow, or buffer overrun). I guess since applying a firmware fix is the solution, it's software.
06-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
Senior Member
karro's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Riga
Photos: Albums
Posts: 245
"runaway" or "flopping" would sound unprofessional
06-18-2014, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 417
Some of the early K5 also exhibited the mirror flop issue. When sent in to service those, the Pentax official comments always referred to it as 'Mirror Overrun'. What bothers me is why is Pentax not able to get to the bottom of this issue in successive models. I have seen this issue in Kx, Kr, K5 all the way up until K3!
Mine hasnt exhibited the mirror flop behavior but I feel disappointed that Pentax doesnt want to fix such a fundamental problem.


Last edited by danny09; 06-18-2014 at 10:28 PM.
06-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Forum Member
markf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 55
Buying a K-3 this weekend before the promotion ends with the free grip. I have to, since I've updated my signature.

Last edited by markf; 06-20-2014 at 09:29 PM.
06-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #36
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 593
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Some of the early K5 also exhibited the mirror flop issue. When sent in to service those, the Pentax official comments always referred to it as 'Mirror Overrun'. What bothers me is why is Pentax not able to get to the bottom of this issue in successive models. I have seen this issue in Kx, Kr, K5 all the way up until K3!
Mine hasnt exhibited the mirror flop behavior but I feel disappointed that Pentax doesnt want to fix such a fundamental problem.
This has always been part of my concern as well... the fact that this problem -- or rather symptom -- has been seen in other Pentax models. I want them to get to the bottom of it so we don't have to worry about it cropping up with their next DSLR!

BTW, interestingly enough, three other K bodies I've shot in all the same conditions as the K3... they haven't had a single problem. The K5-II and K5-IIs do not seem to suffering mirror-flapping, at least not that I've run into with all three bodies getting VERY heavy use. The shutter on the K5-II died at 115,000 shutter actuations, but I completely expected that. Bother K5-IIs bodies I have are still performing excellently, and I'm probably at about 40,000 shutter actuations with each.
06-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Some of the early K5 also exhibited the mirror flop issue. When sent in to service those, the Pentax official comments always referred to it as 'Mirror Overrun'. What bothers me is why is Pentax not able to get to the bottom of this issue in successive models. I have seen this issue in Kx, Kr, K5 all the way up until K3!
Mine hasnt exhibited the mirror flop behavior but I feel disappointed that Pentax doesnt want to fix such a fundamental problem.
One of the best reasons for Pentax to go mirrorless instead then?
07-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 47
Interesting Result

Having had the mirror flap issue (twice in April), and seeing others report that firmware version 1.10 didn't fix it, I broke down and sent my K-3 to CRIS for the factory fix. I just got the camera back today. What I found interesting is that I sent it to them with firmware version 1.10 loaded. I got it back from them with firmware version 1.03 loaded. Since we can't go backward with firmware, obviously the fix does involve firmware at a level not available to the user. I have since reapplied firmware 1.10—hopefully, that won't step on whatever the "fix" is that they applied.

07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #39
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 166
QuoteOriginally posted by rodeknyt Quote
I sent it to them with firmware version 1.10 loaded. I got it back from them with firmware version 1.03 loaded. I have since reapplied firmware 1.10—hopefully, that won't step on whatever the "fix" is that they applied.
Oof. Having worked in software for 35 years, this worries me. You may want to call them up and ask them. If indeed it was a special version of the 1.03 firmware that fixed the problem, you certainly have overwritten it. If instead, however, it was another component that they replaced, they *may* have flashed the firmware back to 1.03 for testing. In that case, you're fine. But I think I'd ask them if it was a firmware fix or not. Amid all the apparent secrecy about what the fix actually is, perhaps they'd be willing to divulge just that piece of information. Especially since, if it indeed was a special firmware fix, you'd never be able to upgrade the firmware again, and they should have told you! For that reason alone, it seems probable that it is *not* a firmware fix, but another fix entirely (perhaps an ECR on one of the circuit boards).
08-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #40
Site Supporter
PALADIN85020's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Oof. Having worked in software for 35 years, this worries me. You may want to call them up and ask them. If indeed it was a special version of the 1.03 firmware that fixed the problem, you certainly have overwritten it. If instead, however, it was another component that they replaced, they *may* have flashed the firmware back to 1.03 for testing. In that case, you're fine. But I think I'd ask them if it was a firmware fix or not. Amid all the apparent secrecy about what the fix actually is, perhaps they'd be willing to divulge just that piece of information. Especially since, if it indeed was a special firmware fix, you'd never be able to upgrade the firmware again, and they should have told you! For that reason alone, it seems probable that it is *not* a firmware fix, but another fix entirely (perhaps an ECR on one of the circuit boards).
My understanding is that the "fix" was a separate firmware substitution for a particular integrated circuit that monitors the voltage to the mirror control circuit. This has to be applied at a repair facility, and bears no relationship to the user-upgradable firmware. I have had this "fix" at C.R.I.S. while my camera had firmware version 1.03; I have upgraded since to 1.10, and can thankfully report (knock on wood) that I have experienced no further mirror flop problems since the "fix" on 6/16/14. So far, so good with me.

John
08-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #41
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,193
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
My understanding is that the "fix" was a separate firmware substitution
Hmmmm...I heard it is an adjustment (change of clock/timer setting IIRC) made to a subsystem that required a utility that cannot be be properly packaged or leveraged by an end-user. Why they went back to v1.03 is anyone's guess.


Steve
08-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #42
Senior Member
asharpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 166
As I said, it seems quite secretive. Has anyone actually *asked* CRIS what they fixed? Are they under some sort of nondisclosure agreement with Ricoh to avoid divulging the actual issue? Conspiracy theorists want to know.
08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #43
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,193
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
As I said, it seems quite secretive. Has anyone actually *asked* CRIS what they fixed? Are they under some sort of nondisclosure agreement with Ricoh to avoid divulging the actual issue? Conspiracy theorists want to know.
It is obviously a conspiracy as those of us who are active on the "why I won't buy a K-3" thread know. The reach of the hociR knows no bounds and the ultimate destiny of Tokyo rests in the balance.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3.html

Excuse me while I adjust my tin foil hat...


Steve
08-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...I heard it is an adjustment (change of clock/timer setting IIRC) made to a subsystem that required a utility that cannot be be properly packaged or leveraged by an end-user. Why they went back to v1.03 is anyone's guess.


Steve
Perhaps they changed the whole board for a new revision that is already fixed, and these boards were produced when firmware 1.03 was current. Either that or their flop fixed firmware overwrites all the various firmwares in the camera.
08-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #45
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,193
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Perhaps they changed the whole board for a new revision that is already fixed, and these boards were produced when firmware 1.03 was current. Either that or their flop fixed firmware overwrites all the various firmwares in the camera.
Both are quite possible.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, charge, dslr, estimate, k-3, k-3 mirror flop, k3, pentax k-3, period, phone, purchase, repair, ricoh, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 mirror flutter - REPLY FROM RICOH PALADIN85020 Pentax K-3 95 12-21-2014 09:33 PM
Mirror Flop on the K-r - Plus additional strange issue Stoogie Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 08-23-2013 01:19 PM
k-r mirror flop guruh Pentax K-r 2 07-03-2013 07:13 AM
k-r weird mirror flop - more details Neil Manson Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 10-29-2012 02:41 AM
k-r mirror flop - more detective work Neil Manson Pentax K-r 5 07-24-2012 04:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top