06-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 Mirror Flop Fix From Ricoh

I received this email from Randall today:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

We have been informed that there is now a shop adjustment that can be made to help resolve/reduce the reported K-3 "mirror-flop" issue. I recommend you return your camera directly to RICOH Imaging Company at the address listed below for examination.

RICOH Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the parcel insured. Please include a note describing the problem and give your name, return shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking purposes, please note the serial number of your equipment for your own records.

If your camera is within the warranty period, (one year from the original date of purchase), please supply us with a dated proof of purchase, and a request for warranty service. If the RICOH/PENTAX Extended Warranty covers your camera, please supply us with a copy of your Extended Warranty Card. Providing your camera has not been misused or abused and the problem is due to a manufacturer's defect, your camera will be repaired and returned to you without charge.

If your warranty period has expired, or if the repair is not covered under the terms of this warranty, we will examine your camera and supply you with a written estimate (this estimate is provided at no charge). Upon approval (and payment in full) of the estimate, we will proceed with the repair. Approvals may be given by phone with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. If you decide against the repair estimate, your camera will be returned to you for a $12 shipping and handling charge.

Repair times will vary depending on the time of year.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155

x-posted.

06-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks for posting this somewhat promising information.

What are your thoughts on the repair?
Will the repair compromise the water resistance of the camera?

If the repair can potentially compromise the WR.
Can cameras be replaced instead of repaired?

At what point can a new buyer be assured that the camera that they are purchasing (from B&H and Adorama for example) has had
this problem rectified prior to a new K-3 purchase?

It sure would be great to get an official reply from Pentax regarding some of these questions (like integrity of WR after repair).

I appreciate your thoughts,

Radman
06-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
If the repair can potentially compromise the WR.
Can cameras be replaced instead of repaired?
Why do you feel that the repair facility will do worse job of assembling the seals, post repair, than the factory?

Steve
06-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The address given as "Ricoh Service" is CRIS Camera by the way.

While I suffer through 107 degree temps for the next 4 months, at least it's nice to know at least I'm close to "Ricoh Service" should I need it for a K3 or K whatever I'm going to buy after Photokina...lol

06-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you have your camera serviced by Ricoh they warranty the work for a year I believe.
06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Finally. My only issue, this, like the Nikon D600 issue, should not be limited to the warranty period. Nikon removed that limit. Ricoh should do the same.
06-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Finally. My only issue, this, like the Nikon D600 issue, should not be limited to the warranty period. Nikon removed that limit. Ricoh should do the same.
Why?
Nikon design issue every d600 made was/is faulty = lifetime warented
Pentax K5 stain effects potentially all early k5's = lifetime warranted
Pentax tunning issue affecting some k3's = Fix on fail

06-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here in Australia the company would be obliged by law to repair the camera regardless of the warranty period because it's clearly a manufacturing fault.
06-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
We have been informed that there is now a shop adjustment that can be made to help resolve/reduce the reported K-3 "mirror-flop" issue
It's somewhat equivocal isn't it?

"help resolve"? "reduce"?
06-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Here in Australia the company would be obliged by law to repair the camera regardless of the warranty period because it's clearly a manufacturing fault.
Same here in the Netherlands. And even if not obliged by law, no selfrespecting company would dare to sell a malfunctioning machine and then avoid their responsibilities by hiding behind warrantee small prints... Or so I thought.

Would be a nice solution for them, wouldn't it? Waiting for most of the early adopters warrantee to expire and then announce the sudeen discovery of a solution.
06-13-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Same here in the Netherlands. And even if not obliged by law, no selfrespecting company would dare to sell a malfunctioning machine and then avoid their responsibilities by hiding behind warrantee small prints... Or so I thought.

Would be a nice solution for them, wouldn't it? Waiting for most of the early adopters warrantee to expire and then announce the sudeen discovery of a solution.
Agree, and even further, in Europe I believe the position outlined above by Pentax would not be legal, items such as this are covered against design flaws for up to 6 years. Our redress under this law would be against the seller though (not Pentax directly) ... so a good reason to buy from a reliable supplier !

In reality many major manufacturers (hopefully Pentax) will seek to absolve selliers of this obligation by covering the matter themselves (otherwise they are likely to get destocked by sellers).
06-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
there is now a shop adjustment that can be made to help resolve/reduce the reported K-3 "mirror-flop" issue.
It would be nice for Ricoh to provide some details about what they believe the technical basis of the problem is, and what their 'shop adjustment' actually does.
06-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Why?
Nikon design issue every d600 made was/is faulty = lifetime warented
Where did you get that every one was affected? They were not. A significant number were, just like the K3's. Not all, a significant number. How is this not a design issue?

If one has the issue, the machine is faulty and should be repaired at the expense of Nikon or Pentax. Why should the company hide behind a warranty on an issue that to a large extent makes the camera unusable and causes needless wear and tear. It's tripping over dollars to pick up pennies with what it does to the goodwill of the company. Oh no worries though Pentax will overcome that with their marketing

Looks like bossa, ChrisA, Clavius and SteveUK rather share that opinion as well.
06-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
A significant number were, just like the K3's. Not all, a significant number.
Where did you get that a significant number if K3's is affected?
06-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Where did you get that a significant number if K3's is affected?
From Ricoh