Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #1

International Language Settings on K-3

Hello Pentax Friends,

This is a question from a frustrated Pentax user in Copenhagen !

I just invested in a K-3 Silver Edition and had the opportunity, that a Chineese friend bought it for me in Singapore and brought it to me.

In advance, I had contacted the K-3 forum on Facebook and the Scandinavian service center to get a confirmation, that the camera would contain an International MENU !

This was confirmed !

However, the fact is, that the camera only speaks English and 3 to me unreadable Chinees langauges.

I have reported it to the international Pentax Service Desk and the answer back is, that the camera is born with an Asian language pack that cannot be changed by upfating the firmware.

I realized that by updating from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3

Also I was told that the camera was delivered with an exclusive leather strap !

IN fact the camera was delivered with a cheap read/brown plastic strap not at all matching the look of a K-3 Silver Model.

Is this the NEW standard of service and equipment after RICOH has taken over ?

I'm a great Pentax Fan and I started with a K100D jumping to a K20D adding an original 18 - 250 mm lense and now K-3 Silver Edition - I wonder if the next step shall be NIKON ?

06-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sylvester Quote
IN fact the camera was delivered with a cheap read/brown plastic strap not at all matching the look of a K-3 Silver Model.
The silver Pentax K-3 kit comes with a leather strap. Also, as far as I know, the camera firmware isn't region-specific, and over a dozen languages are supported out of the box.

So it sounds to me like you got some sort of cheap Chinese knock-off perhaps, if that even exists. Or maybe it was a grey market camera with the original strap removed. Can you post a screenshot of the menu?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2014, 03:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
This is my mail to and answer from Pentax - I have also attached photos of the camera, serialnumber and the menu

Dear Hans,

Thank you for contacting RICOH.

The language options on RICOH/PENTAX cameras including the K3 are set by regions. Dutch is not one of the options on a camera purchased through the distribution network for Singapore. There is no firmware update to add an additional language option.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155

Your Email:
This camera was bought in Singapore on 4th of june 2014 and taken to Denmark. Today I have updated the firmware succesfully to 1.0.3.
However, the language menu on the camera is still just English or 3 different Chinese.
How do I laod a software giving me the opportunity for choosing a Danish menu on the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It has long been known to consumers outside of Asia about the hazards of buying grey market Chinese edition cameras through non same country reputable sources that these types of problems can arise. This is not limited to Ricoh products, odds are if you bought a Nikon through the same distribution it may be programmed with limited languages also.. I know that doesn't solve your problem but possibly you could find out if it were possible what the cost would be to send it to a service center to have the language changed or if it is better to live with what you have or sell it and get a more appropriate one.

06-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I know it doesn't help solve your problem, but just for your information the three languages are Korean, Traditional Chinese (used in Taiwan/Hong Kong) and Simplified Chinese (used in China).
06-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Oldbayrunner says:

It has long been known to consumers outside of Asia about the hazards of buying grey market Chinese edition cameras through non same country reputable sources that these types of problems can arise !

I certainly expect this purchase to be an original Pentax K-3 and neither from a grey market or to be a copy of the original product ???

The problem is that RICOH is differentiating the product which, to my knowledge, was not the case when Pentax was Pentax
06-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The problem is that RICOH is differentiating the product which, to my knowledge, was not the case when Pentax was Pentax
I believe this is incorrect. I have seen threads about Chinese/Japanese K-5s not having every language.

06-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
That may be right but does not make the product coming from a grey market !
06-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That may be right but does not make the product coming from a grey market !
Isn't a grey market item any item not bought from an official vendor? I think it's up to people with more knowledge to determine whether this is the case here.
06-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
To avoid any misunderstandings I attache the bill.

I certainly believe, that this is an official vendor for RICOH and PENTAX equipment
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I checked and yes they are, for that area...Have you contacted them regarding your problem with your purchase.

http://www.ricoh-pentax.com.sg/support.html

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-14-2014 at 08:21 PM.
06-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Parisilk is a certified distributor....for the Singapore region. Not for Denmark. Each region has different language options - this is the case not only for Pentax/Ricoh, but for other brands as well. When you buy outside your own region, the internationalization options change. Also, any warranty is likely invalid.
06-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To avoid any misunderstandings I attache the bill.

I certainly believe, that this is an official vendor for RICOH and PENTAX equipment

PariSilk is one of the authorised dealers in Singapore for Pentax products. I have the same Leather strap as you have.
06-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
PariSilk is one of the authorised dealers in Singapore for Pentax products. I have the same Leather strap as you have.
Does your camera have all of the languages other than the ones he is showing or are they the same as he is showing that are correct for your specific region?
06-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly the same as he is showing. Looks like region specific.