Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2014, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #1

Lightroom won't read my K-3 PEF files...

I'm starting to hyperventilate! I took pics of my niece's ballet recital last night w/ my brand new K-3 (just got it on Tuesday), Today I tried to download my PEF files to my Lightroom 4 and it says it can't read them. "The file is not recognized by the raw format support in Lightroom." They open in Finder, and in iPhoto. How do I get them to open in Lightroom?

06-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade your version of Lightroom to 5.x. Your software is older than your camera. Sorry, but that is the Adobe way. I know it won't help with your existing PEFs, but you can also try setting the camera to use DNG instead. They will probably open, but without the K-3 camera-specific support.

Steve
06-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
So you're saying I need to buy the upgrade to Lightroom 5? UGH! Still paying off the camera. I don't know much about DNG files. I guess I'll have to do some research.

The thing that kills me is that this is the first time I trusted to shoot RAW only. I usually shoot RAW +.
06-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Download the Adobe DNG Converter. It's free and will convert your PEF files into DNG files.

06-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Adobe DNG converter web page here - just scroll down to find Windows and Mac download links;

Camera raw, DNG | Adobe Photoshop CC
06-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Download the Adobe DNG Converter. It's free and will convert your PEF files into DNG files.
I forgot about the converter. That will at least allow the import, but LR will still not be able to identify the camera. Still, that is better than nothing, eh?

Steve
06-14-2014, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I forgot about the converter. That will at least allow the import, but LR will still not be able to identify the camera. Still, that is better than nothing, eh?Steve
The latest DNG Converter knows about K-3 PEFs. So it will put suitable camera details (in effect the camera profile) in the DNG file, which earlier versions of ACR and Lightroom can then extract and use.

06-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
The latest DNG Converter knows about K-3 PEFs. So it will put suitable camera details (in effect the camera profile) in the DNG file, which earlier versions of ACR and Lightroom can then extract and use.
Cool.
06-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

I too just got my K-3 on Tuesday , along with a K-01 , and a couple of Limited lenses

Both cameras are simply stunning - that the K-3 is so was no surprise , but I was very pleasantly surprised just how good the K-01 is with the DA 40mm Ltd pancake lens I bought to accompany it . The K-01 is the replacement for my Canon G11 compact and , although a bit larger , is still small enough to tote around and is streets ahead on image quality .

I have yet to try either with my collection of SMC-M glass built up over the last 40 or so years of shooting Pentax .

Since I am still running a PowerMac G5 ( dual 2.5GHz with 8Gb RAM ) on 10.5.8 which is the highest OS the machine will support and CS3 along with LR 2 , both of which can be taken no higher on this machine , I had anticipated that it would not recognise the PEF files from these cameras . Up to now , the G5 has been more than sufficient to handle PEF files from my two *istD cameras , and the Nikon D300 I use at work , as well as HDV video from my Sony HVR V1e editing in FCP 6 .

However , with the advent of the new MacPro , there are loads of people offloading the previous model Mac Pro for bargain prices and I have just bought , but still awaiting delivery of , an 8 core 2008 Mac Pro , onto which I can install Snow Leopard then upgrade to Mavericks before I take out the Adobe CC subscription for PS and LR .

In the meantime , I have found that LR2 opens my DNG files from both of the new cameras , although the G5 now seems quite slow for the first time . I haven't attempted to use Photoshop CS3 yet , so I don't know how it will cope .

My new machine will hopefully arrive in the coming week , it was posted yesterday , so not too long to wait .
06-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
So you're saying I need to buy the upgrade to Lightroom 5? UGH! Still paying off the camera. I don't know much about DNG files. I guess I'll have to do some research.

The thing that kills me is that this is the first time I trusted to shoot RAW only. I usually shoot RAW +.
Lightroom 4 should've received a free upgrade to 5....I did.

Also I just shoot DNG's.
06-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
dcBear78, how'd you get a free upgrade to LR5? It's $79.
06-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TraciA Quote
dcBear78, how'd you get a free upgrade to LR5? It's $79.
Can't remember? Most likely an email sent to me. I had only just bought LR4 maybe a month or two before the upgrade. That could be the reason?