Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2014, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Almost like a faulty shutter mechanism.
Then he has a strange shutter that travels both vertically AND horizontally.

In one picture, the band is on the long side, the other, on the short side.

No, I think it's something else.

Last edited by OregonJim; 06-19-2014 at 07:48 PM.
06-19-2014, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #17
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Me too - the railway track photo looks particularly like data corruption. Try a new card before anything else.
06-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcky11kev Quote
Actual pictures.

Along with lightness, it also is sometimes blurry where the light spot would normally be. Only noticed it happening when shooting burst mode at fast shutter speeds. Thanks for any help.
Are you using any poarlisers/filter i.e cokin in front of the lens?
shooting through a window ?

this doesn't look initially as a camera fault as the light band is equal width in both images yet shutter was 1/1600 and 1/6400 respectfully, the shutter always travels in the same direction yet your band is on two different sides.

I cannot think of anything mechanical/electrical in the camera that could cause two different issues (horizontal and vertical banding)
06-20-2014, 04:37 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Me too - the railway track photo looks particularly like data corruption. Try a new card before anything else.

Looking at the train photo I am thinking the same thing. On top of trying a new card I would reload the firmware too. If this doesn't work, then back to the store or shop.

06-20-2014, 05:57 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Then he has a strange shutter that travels both vertically AND horizontally.

In one picture, the band is on the long side, the other, on the short side.

Train pic was taken holding the camera vertically, so is still always happening in the same area.

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Looking at the train photo I am thinking the same thing. On top of trying a new card I would reload the firmware too. If this doesn't work, then back to the store or shop.
I will try that.. thanks!

---------- Post added 06-20-14 at 06:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Are you using any poarlisers/filter i.e cokin in front of the lens?
shooting through a window ?

this doesn't look initially as a camera fault as the light band is equal width in both images yet shutter was 1/1600 and 1/6400 respectfully, the shutter always travels in the same direction yet your band is on two different sides.

I cannot think of anything mechanical/electrical in the camera that could cause two different issues (horizontal and vertical banding)
No filters or shooting thru windows.
06-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcky11kev Quote
Any suggestions? Call Pentax? Just got this guy 3wks ago. Have a k-x...four years of zero problems.
Wrong orientation. The K-3 shutter is vertical travel. I suspect a light leak. To test, put the lens cap on and do a manual mode exposure of 1 second duration at say, ISO 1600.

Steve
06-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wrong orientation. The K-3 shutter is vertical travel. I suspect a light leak. To test, put the lens cap on and do a manual mode exposure of 1 second duration at say, ISO 1600.

Steve
Image was totally black. I've tried different memory cards but same light bar marks. Only happens at HI burst mode. Doesn't happen at MED and LO burst settings.

06-21-2014, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is very strange. I looked at the exif for the first image (building) and it says 1/6400s @ f/9 and ISO 100. That is a very bright scene (~EV 18.5). The second photo was taken much dimmer light.

Are you able to reproduce with a different lens? How about with SR turned off? (Grasping at straws here.)

Here are a few bullet points:
  • The narrowness of the strip and its left side orientation rules out lagging shutter curtain
  • Left-side orientation of the building photo is in question based on the LCD shot of the same scene indicating a portrait orientation for both example photos
  • Light leak is unlikely, though not completely ruled out (see above comment)
  • The burst mode correlation is likely a red herring, though should not be discounted
  • The blurring in the second image appears to be multiple images
  • If this were a sensor or image processor issue, I would expect a hard line not a gradation
  • Exif is incomplete and has been edited in ExifTool

I would suggest that a call to the seller or Ricoh/Pentax customer support would be in order.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
06-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is very strange. I looked at the exif for the first image (building) and it says 1/6400s @ f/9 and ISO 100. That is a very bright scene (~EV 18.5). The second photo was taken much dimmer light.

Are you able to reproduce with a different lens? How about with SR turned off? (Grasping at straws here.)

Here are a few bullet points:
  • The narrowness of the strip and its left side orientation rules out lagging shutter curtain
  • Left-side orientation of the building photo is in question based on the LCD shot of the same scene indicating a portrait orientation for both example photos
  • Light leak is unlikely, though not completely ruled out (see above comment)
  • The burst mode correlation is likely a red herring, though should not be discounted
  • The blurring in the second image appears to be multiple images
  • If this were a sensor or image processor issue, I would expect a hard line not a gradation
  • Exif is incomplete and has been edited in ExifTool

I would suggest that a call to the seller or Ricoh/Pentax customer support would be in order.

Steve
Thanks for the advice. It seems to only happen on HI burst mode, in manual settings, and regardless of lens.
06-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I think it's obvious what's happening. The film isn't fully advanced when the shutter starts to open for the next frame.
Wait, I think there may be a flaw in my theory, but I just can't put my finger on it.................