Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #91
Forum Member

Just because someone makes an observation, it doesn't mean people need to get all sensitive ... I love my K3 to bits.

I'm not saying they are immoral or illegal. I'm also not suggesting the advertising suggests it can be immersed.
I'm simply saying that the market positioning clearly says it will not suffer adversely to being used normally in heavy rainfall.

I would expect Pentax / Ricoh to be a little defensive if you used it like this and ask you to confirm exactly how you'd used it. If they say clear evidence of leakage through a part of the camera that shouldn't be opened (because it is sealed), then they would obviously push back. If it was clear the leakage was a result of seals not working when used properly in rain, I'd hope they'd cover the costs.

I've no idea if they would or wouldn't ... I hope they would. If they didn't ... I'm saying they would lose in a UK court.

If the camera was immersed ... even sat in a rain puddle more than 5mm in depth for any time ... all bets would be off ... that is a different scenario .. and perhaps the main focus of the thread .. I suspect it we all chill, we'll realise we are all kind of saying the same thing.

Paul.

---------- Post added 06-27-14 at 06:38 PM ----------

yes ... limpet ... agree .... although it would need to be upwards of 3-5mm to even breach the thickness of the bottom shell of the camera ... I'd suspect.

Paul.

06-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zelda_n64 Quote
So is it marketing bollocks or did the OP have bad luck.
...or a bit of both. Reading through the OPs comments on this thread, it is apparent that moisture in the camera has been a feature of each of his previous Pentax bodies.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of course, from the (limited) details on this thread we can only speculate.
Yep.

QuoteOriginally posted by limpet Quote
If I had one I would have no qualms.
Me neither.

Steve
06-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #93

Photos: Albums
I have no intention of submerging my K-3, or plunging it in a sink or running tap water over it. I would like to carry on taking photographs if it happens to rain. I do not want my 2 year warranty to become null and void just because I chose to follow the marketing material which clearly states 'whatever the weather you can use the K-3 to capture a world previously unreachable' :

Having been a Pentax user since the 80's I have always refused to go the norm of Canon/Nikon. The Pentax K-3 is by far the best camera I have ever had the privilege to own and although I don't know how to use many of it's functions, manual mode is a pure pleasure to use (even compared to the K-x) and boy can it take lots of photo's in a very short time span.

I am not moaning, just being cautious as to the marketing of this camera - although in the UK we have very good protection against false advertisements and claims. Anyway, I love the camera and am a proud owner of K-3.
06-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #94
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pgamble Quote
I'm simply saying that the market positioning clearly says it will not suffer adversely to being used normally in heavy rainfall.
I would say that the marketing clearly implies that it will survive heavy rainfall. Splashed once for an ad video or spritzed with a spray bottle for photos is not the same as exposure to the kind of soaking rain we get around here. As noted above, I (along with limpet) would have no qualms about using my K-3 with a WR lens for 1/2 hour in the rain, but I would probably shelter the camera between shots.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-27-14 at 12:08 PM ----------

whatever the weather you can use the K-3 to capture a world previously unreachable
Yep. Ever seen what happens to your average unsealed camera after an incidental dousing? The life of the camera is measure in seconds. I agree that the marketing gives the impression that the camera will resist a prolonged soaking. After all, the guy in the video is obviously soaked to the skin and it is assumed that the camera has been subjected to the same treatment. I wish Ricoh did not do this. OTOH, Heie has documented 72 hours of rain exposure for his WR camera/lens combos. Go figure. That was with an earlier body. He is currently a K-3 owner and I am looking forward to his assessment of the WR on that camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-27-2014 at 12:09 PM.
06-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #95
Forum Member

I wonder if applying some kind of waterproof coating could be done. Repelling water away from areas of the camera and can be shaken off.
06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #96

Just back from a long day at a theme park. I took my Pentax K-3 and the kit 18-55 WR lens.

It rained.... really heavy at one point and as Canon/Nikon owners covered their cameras (even in the drizzle) in their bags or under their clothing I carried on taking photographs. People were looking at me like I was the village idiot with my soaking wet camera.

I had made sure I silicon sealed every part of the camera beforehand..... of course I jest but I did make sure all covers were correctly closed, already set the lens at the zoom I wanted so all I needed to do was set the ISO, F-stop & shutter speed. I was a little nervous when the first raindrop hitbut I remembered the marketing video - if theirs cam do it so can mine.

To say I was impressed is an understatement, I would not have dared to use the K-x in this manner and it performed like a dream. None of the displays fogged up, the rubber hood kept filter the glass pretty rain free. Relieved, yes, would I do it again, yes.

Pentax/Ricoh - Thank you for making an awesome camera!
06-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #97
Pentaxian

I do that all the time. If I didn't shoot in the rain here I would be shooting very little.
06-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #98
Site Supporter

I had made sure I silicon sealed every part of the camera beforehand
How does that work? I have not heard of silicon sealing.

Steve

06-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have not heard of silicon sealing.
Just missing a final "e" I think. Works great on bathtubs and windows; camera's with moving parts, I'm not so sure.
06-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #100

please don't cover your K-3's in silicon, that was a joke
[I'm slow and not sharp, perhaps everybody understands the joke part already ]
06-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by karro Quote
please don't cover your K-3's in silicon, that was a joke
[I'm slow and not sharp, perhaps everybody understands the joke part already ]
I am slow and not sharp and see now that it was in jest. I blame my glasses which are not so good.

Steve
06-29-2014, 02:08 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How does that work? I have not heard of silicon sealing.

Steve

I purposely left the 'e' off the end as it was a joke which I hope people realised... as soon as they read it.
06-29-2014, 03:22 AM   #103

Original Poster
Hi guys thank for your comment.
I got reply from Pentax, actually it is just an outsource service center also serve many other brands, they decided to send my camera to Japan to repair, the shipping is free but not sure the repairing charge if any, I think Pentax wants to investigate my case. I hope Ricoh will eventually take back the servicing and they have big office in here. If Pentax found no fault of their own then they should either return to the drawing board and think harder, or remove the WS claim and resell the K3 at reduced price !

Due to the lenses, flash and other investment I still want my K3 back, I looked around there is no replacement for me, I am from the 'film era' and don't enjoy using mirrorless and EVF much.

Btw although the K3 is not waterproof, I believe it will survive immensed into an inch deep of water, because the pressure imposed on the seals is far less than that of the rain drop from high above, of course with WR/DA* lens in use. The reason water broke thur' the WS barrier from the bottom was I used a 'sling strap' that put the camera down side up, and there was a leak at the bottom.
06-29-2014, 03:35 AM   #104
Forum Member

I do some my own test about how much is protected K-3 from water and cold. It is good idea to read company information, but for me is very important to know exactly how is in reality my equipment.

Here is my small test and first opinion about K-3 and water resistant. Sorry, material is not in english, but pictures and video are...
06-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Ventzy. This was a very interesting selection of Pentax weather tests. Wish I could read Bulgarian.