Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Buffer clear time measurements with a few SD cards

Having just bought a few different SD cards, I've compared their write times in the K-3.

Card ------------------------------ Paid -- Approx buffer clear time -- DNG capacity shown
Sandisk SDSDX-032G-X46 --- £22 --- 23 s ----------------------------- 598
PNY SD32G10HIGPER-EF ----- £20 --- 34 s ----------------------------- 602
Transcend TS32GSDU1 ------ £13 --- 48 s ----------------------------- 594

Method: Hold shutter button pressed until rate slows, then measure the time between releasing the button and the LED turning off.

Since the K-3 has a large buffer that can be written to again before it empies, I dont personally see a need to spend a lot on the very fast cards like 80 or 95 MB/s etc!

Last edited by PT1; 06-21-2014 at 06:34 AM.
06-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't go wrong with Sandisks, but the issue is that there are so many counterfeits out there with the Sandisk logo -- I would recommend only buying from reputable dealers with a good return policy and TESTING each card as per the above technique.

M
06-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
PT1
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, it doesn't help that Sandisk now produce these Extreme cards without the Sandisk name on the back (the number might be a lot number rather than a serial number?).

I bought all of these from Amazon UK (in full packaging, not frustration free!). Tested that they really will hold 32GB with H2testw - Download - heise online -- I read one story of an 2GB or 8GB microSD inside a 32GB labelled SD case, and they reprogrammed the controller chip in the card to say it was 32GB - all photos were lost when used, and the camera wasn't set to write RAW (or even JPEG) to a second card.
My PC card reader only manages read speeds up to 18 MB/s, so doesn't show their true speed.

The Sandisk cards I've received have the labels applied at an angle. I think this is because they're made cheaply rather than being fake! (but does make me interested in an option to write video to two cards).

Also bought an ExPro card case to store them (it holds 8xSD + 4xCF).
Attached Images

Last edited by PT1; 06-21-2014 at 07:54 AM.