Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Guardian720 Quote
Wish I had 1300$ laying around for that lens!! I can get the Sigma 150-500mm for 860$
I have the *300 and it's a fine lens. I also have the *200 and it really shines in low light, it too didn't get outstanding reviews to which I say nonsense. It's sharp as a razor. A few months back Sigma had a sale on refurbed 150-500's and I couldn't pass one up for $700. It has exceeded my expectations.

06-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
Forum Member

Depends on priority - personally I'd keep the lens you have for general landscape (unless thats a big thing for you). Push the budget slightlly and go for a DA* 50-135, I just got a second hand one its Amazing, although not the quickest to focus for sports, I see they are selling on ebay around $700 mark plus or minus.
06-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Originally posted by lesmore49 I have a newer (May 2013) Sigma 150-500. It's very sharp throughout the range, including the top end at 500. Here's the most recent discussion I remember on this topic. The OP might want to search for others as well. The general consensus seems to be that the Sigma 50-500 and 150-500 are similar in IQ over the shared FL range: Comparing Sigma 50-500 OS to DA*300 w HD-TC
I'm curious, is there supposed to be any difference in the IQ of the most recent copies of the 150-500, such as you own? Are there any design differences, or is the manufacturing supposed to be better?
I don't if there are any design differences with the newer (like mine) Sigma 150-500. I do know that as with any lens or camera body there will be strengths and limitations.

I've leaned this through 46 years of photography...I'm old as dirt.... mostly as an avid amateur, but also...years ago...I had a stint in the publishing industry, where part of my job was taking publish ready photographs for business magazines, etc.

I've used and have equipment including Leica (35mm rangefinder), Zeiss, Mamiya medium format system, Canon, Olympus, etc. and of course Pentax as my main equipment...that the best way to get the best out of equipment...is to learn how to use it, experiment and use it, use it, use it.

I read assessments, personal anecdotes on how good equipment is or isn't also.

But I've found too many times that assessments...while they can be good tools...are just that...tools and information, compiled by humans.

I tend to place more value on my own experience.

For example, I've read a lot of stuff on the Pentax 18-135 WR. If I went by some of the stuff out there...I would of stayed away from this lens. But I bought one, because I needed a lens with this zoom focal length and I wanted a WR lens.

Lo and behold...I find it to be a wonderful lens...fully capable of taking excellent photos...if used within it's capability.

The Sigma... I read the same kind of negative reviews on this lens. I tried one out...not bad.

I bought one and I have found that it is not difficult to get excellent photos...sharp, really good colour resolution etc. If used correctly.

I prefer to use it during daylight (it's not an F 2.8)...I set it at ...usually F 10 to F 16...somewhere in this area....use ISO 800- 1600...sometimes 400 if the light is really good. I usually have a shutter speed of at least 1/500th...try for over 1/1000th...but have used as low as 1/250th...use the Sigma OS shake reduction, shut the Pentax SR off.

So with the Sigma I work with it's strengths. It's not a fast lens...and being a long telephoto...the DOF can be pretty narrow at F 6.3, etc....so I go for F 10 or so...F 11...seems to be sweet spot. I use higher ISO to give me good shutter speed due to the length and weight of the lens....and the K-5's good noise control at higher ISO....works well with picture resolution. Again play to the strengths....of equipment I have.

In the old days when I was a working photographer.....with F 2.0 to F 3.5 lenses....Tri-X was my friend. I didn't have access to a flash...so for indoor work, available light....and F 2 to F 3.5...I pushed the film. Again make the most of the equipment you have.

With the Sigma 150-500 I set the meter at spot....usually taking pics of wildlife, birds or drag racing cars...all move fast. I've got pretty fair at panning fast cars...also predicting where birds will move. With birds I spent a lot of time at first practicing on fast moving small birds like Chickadees at a bird feeder...this experience tuned me up well for slower raptors and large birds like Pelicans...

I also handhold it....it's heavy with my K-5 plus loaded grip...but it works well for me. I'm fairly large...so don't notice the weight as much.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-23-2014 at 10:29 PM.