Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by Yasuo Quote
Can't seem to get the update to work.
Unable to install on my K-3. Using Mac system, tried several formatted cards, update not recognized by the camera. Get the same screen holding 'menu' button down on startup as I normally do.

07-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

hmm.. not a problem at all with my Mac.
Was the file you copied to the root of your card named fwdc220b.bin? (that's what it needs to be)

M
07-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #33

I am fairly computer literate, so downloading and copying I don't think are the issues. I did use fwdc220b.bin each time to the root level on several cards. Still get a "normal" startup menu on the camera.

I'll wait a few days and see if there are any modifications to the downloads from Ricoh.

Thanks to all for the quick replies.

~GQ
07-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #34

Just a reminder, you should be holding the menu button down when you turn the camera on.

07-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #35

Yes, holding the menu button down, sometimes with both feet!!!!

~GQ
07-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
Veteran Member

here is a "get info" screenshot of the file that I downloaded from the Ricoh website and successfully copied to an SD card using my Mac Pro 15" -- can you compare to yours?
Attached Images

07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Not all pdf files are on the net, you still need a reader.
Personal browser preferences aside, you'll notice I said "Just drop a PDF file into Google Chrome". This should have implied that you have downloaded the PDF already. You don't need a PDF reader to 'download' a PDF file or to read it once you have.
Once it's on your PC, just drop the PDF file into Google Chrome - and no need for "a font package for big pain in the ass Adobe Reader."
07-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #38

Thanks to all! Now updating. The problem was the name of the file. I had downloaded it several times and tossed the original. The subsequent ones had an extra character in the name.

Can't believe how fast I got answers. Now if some of the companies I deal with would act accordingly...

~GQ

07-10-2014, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerryq Quote
Now if some of the companies I deal with would act accordingly...
We should charge for our advice...

Steve
07-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #40

Photos: Gallery
I've updated the camera. Shot one pic with f 22 apertture with difraction correction on and off. Like the pic very much with correction ON

But I'm very disappointed when I have not seen it in Editing menu (Raw Development) in camera when I convert my Raw file into Jpg or Tiff.

So as I can understand this works if I shot Raw + Jpg and and doesn't work when I shot in raw and later convert it to Jpg with camera editing software

I hope they will add it to Raw Development menu in future camera updates.
07-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #41

Thanks to those who replied, for some reasons it's just not updating through the usual go to menu -> firmware and update from there.

But it worked when I hold down menu + switching it on.
07-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yasuo Quote
Thanks to those who replied, for some reasons it's just not updating through the usual go to menu -> firmware and update from there.

But it worked when I hold down menu + switching it on.
This is the same for the K5/K7/K5II/K5IIs. The K30 and K01 will need to go to Menu->firmware and update from there.
07-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yurikr Quote
I've updated the camera. Shot one pic with f 22 apertture with difraction correction on and off. Like the pic very much with correction ON

But I'm very disappointed when I have not seen it in Editing menu (Raw Development) in camera when I convert my Raw file into Jpg or Tiff.

So as I can understand this works if I shot Raw + Jpg and and doesn't work when I shot in raw and later convert it to Jpg with camera editing software

I hope they will add it to Raw Development menu in future camera updates.
Basically, the "diffraction correction" is just to apply a slight amount of sharpening to the JPG file. After you convert to JPG from your RAW file, you can do exactly the same thing with your post-processing software. That's probably a better solution, as you can control the amount of sharpening you want. No big deal.

John