Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
New K3 replacement this fall ?

Do you guys think that Pentax will update its flagship later this year, a new model or a K3s ?
Or will they present a full frame camera ?
Reason I am asking is that I would like to upgrade my K5, but part of me thinks that a new model would come out this year!
Also I have been wondering about going FF
Like the new expected Nikon 810/800s,
Mostly because I would like a bigger viewfinder, and because I feel that the K5 with battery grip is sometimes a bit cramped for me.
Problem is, I love the Pentax colors and small lenses plus the 50-135 2.8 zoom, also that it is so strong and protected against weather, which I need for most part of the year as it rains a lot here.
The Pentax menus are very nice and clear too.
On the Nikon I like the size and big view finder, but not so fond of the big glass and big prices ;-)

Is there anyone here that has changed systems either way?
Would like some input from you guys/girls.

I mostly shoot people and city, would really like to shoot more landscape, and have therefor been thinking about the 36 MP Nikon!

Do you guys know if the Nikon weather seal is as good as Pentax?

Thanks

06-25-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

We don't know, but I don't expect a new top off the line aps-c follower for the K-3 at this time. My guess is that the K-3 will go on for two more years with maybe an upgrade somewhere, but not this year.

On FF, we know nothing.
06-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ron
Did you upgrade to the K3?
06-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did. Don't expect K3 replacement this fall as there is very little improvement to bring to the K3, if any, to be competitive vs canikon models.
As 645 replacement is on its way, IF there is a major announcement at photokina it could be a full frame SLR or mirrorless. And maybe a replacement of the K50 (24 Mpix upgrade).
And certainly new lenses or update of existing ones (HD coatings, better AF). This is pure speculation anyway.
By the way, for a bigger viewfinder the OS-53 magnifier is a good, cheap solution - I have one.

06-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K3: No. That was easy. But ditto pretty much of what's been speculated above. If I had to guess what would push ahead some rather notable modification to the K3, it would be a really new K30/K50 body replacement at 24mp. R.I. could dumb it down a bit for marketing reasons (conventional AA filter in place, for example), but that really has not been Pentax's style for their WR "entry" model. So I might think D3300 or better sensor/processor performance could be offered... along with the expected mid-level to premium bits that set Pentax apart from Canikon fare.

So then, I think even a bona fide (and experienced) enthusiast might have to ask, "Do I really need -- or being very weight conscious, even want -- a K3?" Would even a strait-on K50 clone with 24mp sensor upgrade really be lagging all that much? Hence, you could see an eventual accelerated upgrade to the K3 in order to convincingly differentiate models... But not now.
06-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

K-3 replacement in 2 years.
K-1 Full Frame - this year.
06-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
K-3 replacement in 2 years.
K-1 Full Frame - this year.
With new FA lenses? ...And would pulling an HD DA exercise on the existing Limiteds really be such a hot idea?

06-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's always scope for a incremental K-3 update like a K-3 II, or K-3s, I guess, with minor engineering changes, maybe some new controls or design elements, plus one or two cool new features (eg hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder) and some bug fixes. There is plenty of precedent for it. Makes marketing sense sometimes.

But IMHO, at the moment Pentax has nothing in hand that's big enough to warrant a completely new APS-C model. No one else seems to be rolling out any significantly upgraded 24MP APS-C sensors, for example, or making available other dramatic new technologies that Pentax would be likely to use.

I think that APS-C development has hit a kind of limit now, particularly with sensors (no one seems to want to push APS-C past 24 MP, for example, and all the current 24MP models from Sony/Nikon/Pentax perform pretty much the same in terms of IQ). So the only significant way forward for Pentax from the K-3 onwards would be to go full-frame.
06-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Ricoh has not been a company that just rolls out camera after camera. So I think an update on the K-3 is unlikely even a year from now.
06-25-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There's always scope for a incremental K-3 update like a K-3 II, or K-3s, I guess, with minor engineering changes, maybe some new controls or design elements, plus one or two cool new features (eg hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder) and some bug fixes. There is plenty of precedent for it. Makes marketing sense sometimes.

But IMHO, at the moment Pentax has nothing in hand that's big enough to warrant a completely new APS-C model. No one else seems to be rolling out any significantly upgraded 24MP APS-C sensors, for example, or making available other dramatic new technologies that Pentax would be likely to use.

I think that APS-C development has hit a kind of limit now, particularly with sensors (no one seems to want to push APS-C past 24 MP, for example, and all the current 24MP models from Sony/Nikon/Pentax perform pretty much the same in terms of IQ). So the only significant way forward for Pentax from the K-3 onwards would be to go full-frame.
Nope. A K3 with Fuji-grade EVF option, full Wi-Fi/Android-IOS/Instagram/social media integration, plus just a little tweak to the noise figures and auto-focus efficiency (not necessarily Canikon "sports grade" auto-tracking) would kill anything in Canikon's foreseeable future. Not that the crowd would recognize the proverbial better mousetrap, as measured in surging Pentax sales figures. But WE'D know 😉... and Pentax could win all the awards all over again.

P.S.: Add on-sensor phase detect AF, and what else would you need?
06-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt we will see a k-3 replacement this year, possibly in 2015. We might see a k-500 replacement that moves more toward the k-x style, even smaller perhaps.

FF? Who knows. It is possible Ricoh has been laying the ground work for a nice surprise at Photokina with a FF camera and 3 or 4 lenses but as already noted no one who is talking really knows and those who are talking really don't know.

The 645z introduction seems to have garnered most of Ricoh's attention and resources and perhaps with good reason. The opportunity to make gains in profit, mind share and market share are much higher with that camera than anything else they could have introduced at this time. So it is possible the only 'surprise' at Photokina will be more 645 lenses and accessories.
06-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
A K3 with Fuji-grade EVF option, full Wi-Fi/Android-IOS/Instagram/social media integration
I'd call that a K-3x or something. Like Sony did for a while with the 16MP NEXs - keeping the same sensor, metering, image engine - just adding new features (WiFi/Apps/touch screen, hybrid AF, EVF, in-built flash) from time to time, plus adding a new external dial or two.
06-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like the D800 resolution (36MP) and full frame sensor, but want to stay with Pentax glass, look at the Sony A7R. Got to handle one about a week ago and I was very impressed. Small form factor and takes K-mount with an adapter. No OVF, but the EVF works really well. Personally I'm waiting till October before I do anything, but this might be my upgrade.
06-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't forsee the K3 being updated before next spring, unless Sony comes up with some new sensor that has a lot better performance. There just isn't a lot to add in to the K3 package. It is the top of the line APS-C camera available at this point.

There is always the possibility that Ricoh/Pentax uses this fall as the time to launch their full frame camera, so I guess we'll see from that standpoint, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a K3 at this point.
06-25-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd call that a K-3x or something. Like Sony did for a while with the 16MP NEXs - keeping the same sensor, metering, image engine - just adding new features (WiFi/Apps/touch screen, hybrid AF, EVF, in-built flash) from time to time, plus adding a new external dial or two.
It's getting late in the week, has Sony announced a new camera yet?