Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax execs indicated that their R&D switched, from the launch of the K-3 to the launch of the 645z. And it took more than 6 months to bring the 654z to market after the release of the K-3. SO should we expect a K-FF before Christmas? Not if recent history means anything, But then, maybe recent history doesn't mean anything.

But with the K-3 less than a year old, it sure would be a good time to get an FF on the books, just in terms of a time slot in the rotation. Their one R&D team that does their high end stuff,would have time for it, unless there's something we don't know about.

06-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I doubt K-3 follow up will be out too soon. There's just no reason to waste their effort on something with little improvements; instead they should just continue to improve things through firmware. All hands on FF could be a possibility or a Ricoh branded APS-C MILC that uses a different mount to take advantage of shorter flange range with a K-mount adapter.
06-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'd call that a K-3x or something. Like Sony did for a while with the 16MP NEXs - keeping the same sensor, metering, image engine - just adding new features (WiFi/Apps/touch screen, hybrid AF, EVF, in-built flash) from time to time, plus adding a new external dial or two.
Oh, I think those two upgrades alone would represent a FAR greater improvement than the tweaking Sony played around with on the 16mp cameras. I might guess you are not trying to manually focus your lenses all that often on a small f.3.8 (or so) OVF screen, with no split-screen focusing aid, with eyes older than 45 years, give or take. It's not about a lens correction factor in eyeglasses. My resolution's pretty good -- no problem driving without glasses. I wonder what folks at Zeiss (in my dreams), or Cosina-Voigtlander, or Samyang, or Kowa (!) might think of a prosumer DSLR from Pentax that made critical focusing of their lenses in the viewfinder a snap for late middle age guys with some cash?

And loading up SD cards is SO Year-2002 -- or being, as it is, virtually the same concept as recording to film, taking out the "latent image container" with your fingers, transporting the container home to... etc., etc.; well, it's pretty much like... hmm, let's see, when did Oskar Barnack come up with the Leica "miniature" camera? It's over, bottom line -- DSLR makers simply don't appear to grasp the state of the culture, or their wheels are stuck in the mud. Just ask a content, satisfied iPhone-cam/Instagram user who's savvy to his present and imminent options in this area ...

No, the iPhone person may not be an enthusiast -- he just enjoys having the contemporary high end photo file handling the lower castes with DSLRs must, for the most part, trudge on without. Ha, ha... how long will it be before the DSLR folks finally close the buggy whip factory? The idea is simple -- you take the picture, and it's gone, whenever you want it to be... off to the digital file destinations (plural) of your choice. No muss, no fuss.The phone folks aren't quite all the way there, but I don't expect the tortoise to be winning this race.

I'd buy THAT fiddled with 'K' in a flash.
06-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Nope. A K3 with Fuji-grade EVF option, full Wi-Fi/Android-IOS/Instagram/social media integration, plus just a little tweak to the noise figures and auto-focus efficiency (not necessarily Canikon "sports grade" auto-tracking) would kill anything in Canikon's foreseeable future. Not that the crowd would recognize the proverbial better mousetrap, as measured in surging Pentax sales figures. But WE'D know ��... and Pentax could win all the awards all over again.

P.S.: Add on-sensor phase detect AF, and what else would you need?
I think it is more likely those features would be introduced on a new camera in another format - then they would migrate to the APSc format whenever the K-3 is ready to be replaced (in about 18 months). The K-3 has not likely even earned back its costs of production yet, not to speak of R&D.

What that other format could be and when it might be released is just about anybody's guess, though there is an entire sub-Forum here dedicated to that Discussion.

06-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

With new FA lenses? ...And would pulling an HD DA exercise on the existing Limiteds really be such a hot idea?
I would hope the FA Limited would become HD D-FA* DC Limited lenses. Adding HD coatings, DC motor, & weather seals.

---------- Post added 06-25-14 at 12:20 PM ----------

It looks like organic sensors are much closer to being a reality than any of the manufacturers want to admit. Some Canon people seem to think that Canon is going to announce a new body with an organic sensor at Photokina. They are convinced that the reason that Canon has been falling behind Sony is because Canon has putting it R&D resources into new sensor technology and ignoring CMOS.

Baring a major shift in technology and IQ, I don't see the K-3 being replaced in the near future. Its possible that Canon finally announces the 7DII with an amazing organic sensor and moves the market, but even then I think Pentax keeps the K-3 in production for 2 more years.

Last edited by Winder; 06-25-2014 at 10:24 AM.
06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gryphongryph Quote
Do you guys think that Pentax will update its flagship later this year, a new model or a K3s ?
Or will they present a full frame camera ?
The K-3 is still relatively new. If they intro a new camera this fall it's not likely to be a replacement for the K-3.

Overall my vote is that it will be FF if anything.

Problem is, I love the Pentax colors and small lenses plus the 50-135 2.8 zoom, also that it is so strong and protected against weather, which I need for most part of the year as it rains a lot here.
Is the Nikon 70-200mm F/4 that much bigger than the 50-135F/2.8?

Do you guys know if the Nikon weather seal is as good as Pentax?
I've never seen any analysis either way. Sadly, nobody wants to be the guinea pig on this one...
06-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I might guess you are not trying to manually focus your lenses all that often on a small f.3.8 (or so) OVF screen, with no split-screen focusing aid, with eyes older than 45 years, give or take.
You youngsters nowadays...

06-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wouldn't forsee the K3 being updated before next spring, unless Sony comes up with some new sensor that has a lot better performance. There just isn't a lot to add in to the K3 package. It is the top of the line APS-C camera available at this point.

There is always the possibility that Ricoh/Pentax uses this fall as the time to launch their full frame camera, so I guess we'll see from that standpoint, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a K3 at this point.
Waiting until the fall, probably a good idea.

---------- Post added 25-06-14 at 19:59 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I did. Don't expect K3 replacement this fall as there is very little improvement to bring to the K3, if any, to be competitive vs canikon models.
As 645 replacement is on its way, IF there is a major announcement at photokina it could be a full frame SLR or mirrorless. And maybe a replacement of the K50 (24 Mpix upgrade).
And certainly new lenses or update of existing ones (HD coatings, better AF). This is pure speculation anyway.
By the way, for a bigger viewfinder the OS-53 magnifier is a good, cheap solution - I have one.
I have the OS-53 too, but I find I have to shift my eye to see the text at the bottom of the viewfinder, wish it would work better for me.
06-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You youngsters nowadays...
Oh. Ha, ha... If you're older than me, I'll have to call you gramps.

..... BTW, I'm not that savvy iPhone user; nor do I participate in the common social media, except as a last resort and practically at gunpoint! So I couldn't have said much more on that. But I do believe in the potential efficiency of, and progress through, the promotion of integrated technologies; and the opportunities some may afford to simplify life a bit in the face of new complications. I do know that the camera makers need to think of something new -- Nikon is this week's example, having declared their optical/imaging division a no growth segment.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 06-25-2014 at 12:32 PM.
06-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What that other format could be and when it might be released is just about anybody's guess, though there is an entire sub-Forum here dedicated to that Discussion.
I see to have misplaced that forum as it no longer appears in my list.
06-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
organic sensors
interesting stuff! thanks for the lead
06-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this really needs to be in the news and rumors section because it is really all about speculation of the next camera.

as for whether you should upgrade to a K3 or not, what exactly are you expecting that the K5 does not do well?

There may be some upgrades to the sensor, mostly in reduced noise as opposed to more MP, or better AF since AF seems to be advancing nicely these days, etc, but fundamentally the megapixel race is over, no body won. Just my $0.02
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax menus are very nice and clear too.
On the Nikon I like the size and big view finder, but not so fond of the big glass and big prices ;-)

Is there anyone here that has changed systems either way?
Would like some input from you guys/girls.
I have, and use, both the K-3 and D800 for landscapes. They both produce nice images, though the D800 has more detail. I prefer to use the K-3 (or any of my Pentax DSLRs) to the Nikon. The counter-clockwise lens mount, needlessly complex menu system and poor dust removal system make it less than pleasant for me to use. On a recent trip I found dust spots all over the D800 images and I hadn't even changed the lens. The images taken with the K-3 and K-5 were all clean, and I'd changed their lenses a couple times. All 3 cameras had been cleaned, and checked, before the trip. The D800 takes great landscapes with a Zeiss 21mm though.

If you're seriously thinking of getting a D800, rent one for a week. It'll take a few days to figure out the menus, and then you can determine if you like it.

BTW - The K-3 is too new, it won't be replaced for a year or so.
06-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I see to have misplaced that forum as it no longer appears in my list.
I only know of it by hearsay and innuendo since it does not appear in my list either.

Of course without that sub-Forum PF itself seems unusually sedate these days.
06-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iCrop Quote
I have, and use, both the K-3 and D800 for landscapes. They both produce nice images, though the D800 has more detail. I prefer to use the K-3 (or any of my Pentax DSLRs) to the Nikon. The counter-clockwise lens mount, needlessly complex menu system and poor dust removal system make it less than pleasant for me to use. On a recent trip I found dust spots all over the D800 images and I hadn't even changed the lens. The images taken with the K-3 and K-5 were all clean, and I'd changed their lenses a couple times. All 3 cameras had been cleaned, and checked, before the trip. The D800 takes great landscapes with a Zeiss 21mm though.

If you're seriously thinking of getting a D800, rent one for a week. It'll take a few days to figure out the menus, and then you can determine if you like it.

BTW - The K-3 is too new, it won't be replaced for a year or so.

Thanks for your input.
Can you tell me what wide angle lenses you use with the K3?