Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-3 Bizarre 'frying' noise

Hi

I have recently purchased a K-3 camera 3 months ago. It has developed a fault. I only noticed it tonight while trying out some live view shooting in a quiet space.

Once the camera is put into video mode or live view, there is a strange hissing / crackling sound coming from inside the camera! It is very annoying and is the kind of thing as an audio engineer I have head when an electronic component is faulty. It really is quite loud and sounds like the noise one hears if one puts a shell or cup to ones ear. The noise is there if the audio on the camera is up or down

Hopefully Pentax uk will have decent customer service as I think this K-3 will have to go back. Such a pity as the camera takes smashing photos

06-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think that sound is the shake reduction system holding the sensor in place. My K-r and K-5 make similar sounds during live view.

You don't hear the sound during stills because the SR only works for a moment during stills. In live view the SR system stays on the entire time.
06-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Does sounds like it's the SR. It's not very loud on the K3 but you can surely hear it. Just try to turn OFF Shake Reduction and see if it still makes the noise.
06-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wahee Quote
Hi

I have recently purchased a K-3 camera 3 months ago. It has developed a fault. I only noticed it tonight while trying out some live view shooting in a quiet space.

Once the camera is put into video mode or live view, there is a strange hissing / crackling sound coming from inside the camera! It is very annoying and is the kind of thing as an audio engineer I have head when an electronic component is faulty. It really is quite loud and sounds like the noise one hears if one puts a shell or cup to ones ear. The noise is there if the audio on the camera is up or down

Hopefully Pentax uk will have decent customer service as I think this K-3 will have to go back. Such a pity as the camera takes smashing photos
Yup, like others have said, this is the SR system trying to keep the sensor steady. The sound can't be avoided on cameras with in-body SR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Just try to turn OFF Shake Reduction and see if it still makes the noise.
Yeah I just checked my K3 and my K5 and when in LiveView they do makes the sounds, SR ON or OFF (maybe a bit fainter with SR OFF). So disregard this "test"...
06-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Age cures the problem. Age of the photographer that is. I've lost enough high frequency sensitivity to not really notice it.
06-25-2014, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It's very noticable with the Pentax Q also.

06-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
hi

First up I appreciate the replies on this.

I have just tried the camera without SR on and the noise is still there. It sounds like a crackling or hissing. Like small gremlins having a fry up. Not very scientific I know but imagine an audio amplifier turned up but with no signal input. Like it's amplified noise.
I can hear it from about 3 feet away from the camera. The noise is also irregular. i.e no like a servo or some sort of regulatory system, more random.

I have contacted Pentax service and they say they will take a look at it. I can't imagine this is normal on such a high end camera
06-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmmmm. Interesting.
Please post back with the outcome.
06-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #10

Original Poster
hi yes I will do.
07-03-2014, 04:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I bet it was normal.
I guess it's one of the most common questions there is about Pentax cameras, right after the "something is loose inside my camera" question, which is also very popular.
07-03-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah my K-01 sounds like it's frying chips
07-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Like everybody else, pretty much, I too experience this. The noise reduces significantly turning the SR off, but not entirely. It makes me vary of filming with it, I pretty much mostly use it as the excellent stills camera it is.
07-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wahee Quote
hi

First up I appreciate the replies on this.

I have just tried the camera without SR on and the noise is still there.
SR on = sensor held central and adjusted for camera movement with powerful electro magnets generates 500Hz hum
SR Off = Sensor held central with powerful electro magnets generates 500Hz hum

It doens't matter sr on or off the sensor is always moved from rest to central position by electro magnets these buzz.

If you use the psuedo AA this alse generates a seprate niose as a sine wave in transpposed onto the the sensors electromagnets to generate the required blurr factore
07-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a similar sound on mine. Turned out it was the anti aliasing filter simulator that was switched on. When the aa simulator is off, the camera is dead silent.

Last edited by mamethot; 07-06-2014 at 12:33 PM.