Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 04:39 AM   #16
Forum Member

I have the same noise on my k-3. After shooting a couple thousand pics it hasn't gotten better or worse so I've decided to pretend it's not there. It's easy to hear though so it would be interesting for other k-3 owners to listen for it.

07-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Can't be SR in 'Video' mode, as the video SR on the K3 is software based, not Sensor Shift.

You may hear it in live view of Photo modes.

I hear the 'frying' sound with an ear to the body of my K-01, but it's definitely not the SR, just normal operation.
I think it's from one of the on-board motors, probably the one for the Iris.
07-07-2014, 06:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Can't be SR in 'Video' mode, as the video SR on the K3 is software based, not Sensor Shift.
The sensor still needs lifting to it's 'active' position

Its not 'SR' you hear but the electro magnet 'hum' this occurs whenever the sensor is centralized with the aperture (i.e shutter open)
07-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
hi all

many thanks for the info and experiences. Clifton Cameras, the retailer who sold me the camera sent it back to Pentax. It may take 4 weeks for them to look at it and return it to me.
Pentax have said, upon the description I have given them that the noise is normal and is not something to be concerned about. I shall post up their report once received.

The noise in not uniform like a servo/motor which although strange would not I guess be that unusual

They are going to check the camera over though to be sure.

I am happy enough if all K-3's make this noise. If the advanced features of the camera require that a certain level of audible noise be produced, it just seems rather loud and err.. erratic
I am delighted with the camera, at least for still imaging. It is a quantum shift from my old Nikon D5000. Video seem pretty decent but i'm not so worried about this as I have an HDV camera for this.

Last edited by wahee; 07-07-2014 at 07:44 AM.
07-07-2014, 07:47 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wahee Quote
I can hear it from about 3 feet away from the camera.
My K-3 makes a frying noise in live view, but it is only audible at a few inches distance. I think I want your ears.

Steve
07-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My K-3 makes a frying noise in live view, but it is only audible at a few inches distance. I think I want your ears.

Steve
hehe, maybe i'm a bit over sensitive as I work in the audio field and take an instant dislike to earth hums, low end noise and general audio gremlins.
07-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The sensor still needs lifting to it's 'active' position
If that's correct, it makes a joke of all the reasons for sensor shift to be disabled in video mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by wahee Quote
take an instant dislike to earth hums, low end noise and general audio gremlins
Ditto, but add video flickers, 15625 scream in CRT-TVs, interference patterns between fluro tubes and LCD screens,...
It gets to the point where you see something wrong in lighting or video images that others just don't see, or hear.

07-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It gets to the point where you see something wrong in lighting or video images that others just don't see, or hear.
Is there something wrong with seeing or hearing things that others don't? I get some of my best ideas from those sources.

Steve
07-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Is this (the noise between shutter noise) what you were hearing?

07-07-2014, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

If that's correct, it makes a joke of all the reasons for sensor shift to be disabled in video mode.
It's correct, and so are you.

Just set the camera mode dial to video mode while switched off, remove the lens and look inside as you switch it on.
You'll see the shutter curtains open and the sensor shift into place.

I used the K-01 for this test
07-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #26
rfg

I think the advice is to disable shake reduction, not "sensor shift", and that is because it is implemented digitally, not by sensor shift, when in video mode and causes ugly artefacts.
07-09-2014, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
I think the advice is to disable shake reduction, not "sensor shift", and that is because it is implemented digitally, not by sensor shift, when in video mode and causes ugly artefacts.
I think you may have missed the point of p'rex's comment
07-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think you may have missed the point of p'rex's comment
Inadvertently he's hit the nail on the head

Mechanical SR in video mode is bad because the sensor movement cannot be synced with shutter causing ugly rips.

Using software SR allows video and movement to be synced and therfore cleaner video.

Don't who thought up the 'SR noise' some Pentax PR/sales monkey or some web 'expert' who didn't understand 'cleaner' was refering to video not sound.

Actually noise cancelling the SR is trvial electronic wise being a known frequency you can either use a notch filter or just invert and add.
07-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

And yet, the K5IIs doesn't suffer from any such artifacts, otherwise the owners would have reported such.

The cycle speed of the sensor movement has been reported at 500 Hz, the readout from the sensor for video occurs every 1/25th of a second (25 Hz) for PAL and 1/30th of a second (30Hz) for NTSC.
The sensor needs to move that fast for stills, video is easy for it.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-09-2014 at 10:27 AM.
07-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Inadvertently he's hit the nail on the head

Mechanical SR in video mode is bad because the sensor movement cannot be synced with shutter causing ugly rips.

Using software SR allows video and movement to be synced and therfore cleaner video.
This is not supported by the evidence.
Similarly the Olympus mechanical SR is superior to digital SR.
There are many examples of how Pentaxs' Movie SR destroys footage.

In video mode, the 'shutter' is electronic.