Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 06:16 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
This is not supported by the evidence.
Similarly the Olympus mechanical SR is superior to digital SR.
There are many examples of how Pentaxs' Movie SR destroys footage.

In video mode, the 'shutter' is electronic.
I've seen no examples of Mech SR Vs Soft SR for the same sensor can you link for me .?

Across different sensor is irrelevant as 'jello' effect is caused by speed of the electronic shutter (Not SR sw or HW) across the frame which varies depending on sensor.

The smaller the sensor the in theory the better (less) jello effect as faster the shutter period, same with channels the more channels a sensor has the potentially faster the electronic shutter, Non of which has anything to do with SR

07-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Do we have any K5IIs samples out there?

---------- Post added 11-07-14 at 12:30 AM ----------

Turns out, there is.

No Jello on K5, but still not perfect.
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #33
Veteran Member

The 500 hz hum/noise is the LPF (Anti-Aliasing) simulator, not the SR per say.

The camera is silent without AA simulator.

They only other instance when I heard noise from the camera's SR system is on a Q when the option to use the SR constantly (during preview) is enabled.

But on the K-3, the SR does nothing else than keep the sensor centered. Silently.
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
The 500 hz hum/noise is the LPF (Anti-Aliasing) simulator, not the SR per say.
Err, nope. But we are mixing two things, and that's my fault - I quoted the speed of the AA filter on the K3,.. but was referring to the SR on the K5 IIs
I'll chase up the data on the K5 IIs Sensor Shift.

Anywho, my original point was, that SR in video was swapped from Sensor Shift on the K5 series, to software based Jello-wobbling SR on the K-01 and K3 (and now the 645Z) because, as was reported in an interview with one of the Pentax Japan reps, that was to stop the sensor shake noise from getting on to the video's audio track.
If the sensor still has to lift in to place, and the Sensor Shift mechanism is what keeps it ion place, then the whole noise reduction reason for the change is just a cover for doing something wrong.
In the case of the K-01, the logic for making the change to software SR is even more flawed, as it only records audio at 32kHz.

In K3, K-01 and 645Z, the 'premium', 'video hero' and 'professional' models in the range, software SR is a mistake.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 07-10-2014 at 12:40 PM.
07-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Err, nope. But we are mixing two things, and that's my fault - I quoted the speed of the AA filter on the K3,.. but was referring to the SR on the K5 IIs
I'll chase up the data on the K5 IIs Sensor Shift.

Anywho, my original point was, that SR in video was swapped from Sensor Shift on the K5 series, to software based Jello-wobbling SR on the K-01 and K3 (and now the 645Z) because, as was reported in an interview with one of the Pentax Japan reps, that was to stop the sensor shake noise from getting on to the video's audio track.
If the sensor still has to lift in to place, and the Sensor Shift mechanism is what keeps it ion place, then the whole noise reduction reason for the change is just a cover for doing something wrong.
In the case of the K-01, the logic for making the change to software SR is even more flawed, as it only records audio at 32kHz.

In K3, K-01 and 645Z, the 'premium', 'video hero' and 'professional' models in the range, software SR is a mistake.
LOL you lost me with your answer.

1- Nope to what?

2- 32 khz... You are talking about sampling rate? Please clarify because I am missing knowledge as to how the 32 khz frequency has any impacts?

Regards,
07-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I've seen no examples of Mech SR Vs Soft SR for the same sensor can you link for me .?
The painfully obvious and seriously detrimental affects of MovieSR and how it operates as opposed to mechanical/accelerometer sensor shift SR has been discussed and demonstrated ad-nauseam since it was introduced with the K-01.
If you're happy with Pentax's digital shake reduction system, then that's fine by me.
07-11-2014, 12:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The painfully obvious and seriously detrimental affects of MovieSR and how it operates as opposed to mechanical/accelerometer sensor shift SR has been discussed and demonstrated ad-nauseam since it was introduced with the K-01.
If you're happy with Pentax's digital shake reduction system, then that's fine by me.
No I prefer mechanical SR , but try to understand why Pentax implement software SR when they already have a working mechanical solution.

I can't see any logical reason why to implement a change without a cost driver.

07-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I can't see any logical reason why to implement a change without a cost driver.
Ahh, see, there's the problem - that's thinking like Western corporates, everything is about cost.

Eastern and Middle Eastern will make changes based on perceptions of public opinions - such as whether prospective customers would be unhappy to hear the sound of the sensor movements being recorded on to the audio track of the video.

What they failed to realise, is that the vast majority of 'pro' customers will also buy a separate audio recorder, and won't care about the occasional noise on the audio track, or will accept it as a necessary artifact of having the superior performance of the Mechanical Sensor Shift system. Clear recordings are better for syncing the externally recorded sound, even if they are clear recordings of the hands on the camera body, the sensor moving, and other sounds.
( The K3 records using the 'industry standard' 48kHz sample rate )

The reference to the 32kHz sample rate of the audio system on the K-01, is that the Software SR is 'silent', but the audio recordings are compromised by not having a sample rate of 48kHz, and a dismally high noise floor. So removing the Sensor Shift SR in video to remove it's operational sounds from the audio recording, is useless as the whole audio recording is already compromised, regardless of whether one uses the internal microphones or an external unit.
07-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #39

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
Is this (the noise between shutter noise) what you were hearing?

K-3 Shutter and Anti-Aliasing filter simulator noise - YouTube
hi

no that's not it. Its much more random and happens as soon as the camera is in live mode

I will see if I can get a good clip on mic from work and try and capture it