Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I get over a thousand photos easy on a charge.
I am starting to think that I must have a defective battery or something. OTOH, perhaps I am the most enthusiastic "chimper" on the planet. When my spare batteries get here, I will have to do a test and actually run the battery to exhaustion in normal shooting. This could take awhile

Steve

07-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another update. I shot around 3400 shots on the generic LiIon battery in the grip today!!! Something to be said for burst mode. The battery finally died while downloading from the camera via the usb cable.
07-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Hello there!

Here on a long Weekend in Paris with less than 500 shoots in 4 days the batery was almost gone and I was afraid of it not lasting enough and taken care tyo always power off the camera between 2 shoots.

My K5 was doing better, for sure.
07-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I think the wide difference in the number of shots being achieved on 1 charge are due to:

1. SR. The K-3 SR is claimed to be a 1/2 stop better than the K-5. I presume one of the ways this is achieved it through more forceful sensor movement.

2. By default, the menu is always being displayed on the back LCD.

3. Whether or not shot review is turned off.

For sports, SR is not used, the menu is not needed most of the time either, and there is usually insufficient time to review what you've just shot.

Dan.

07-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I think the wide difference in the number of shots being achieved on 1 charge are due to:

1. SR. The K-3 SR is claimed to be a 1/2 stop better than the K-5. I presume one of the ways this is achieved it through more forceful sensor movement.

For sports, SR is not used, the menu is not needed most of the time either, and there is usually insufficient time to review what you've just shot.

Dan.
But you can turn that of by twice clicking on the info button and choose the blackscreen.

Edit, reading back was mentioned but not how
07-20-2014, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Edit, reading back was mentioned but not how
You can do it your way, but I prefer to use an incantation.
07-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SR was off. Back LCD is still at it's default settings. I did another 3600 today.
07-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Took 1,355 shots in 5 Futsal matches yesterday on the same battery. Forgot to look at the battery indicator at the end to see what it showed, but generally I find all of them very non-linear anyway (except for the Sony InfoLithium batteries I've used in videocams).

• No SR
  • Menu on for the first 100 shots before I remembered to turn it off
  • Reviewing on for 500 shots before I got the time to turn it off. I find it a pain to see the flash in my peripherial vision of the back LCD illuminating when I've got my eye continually at the viewfinder trying to follow the action, and have no time for reviewing.

Dan.

07-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I haven't counted exactly, but it's not unusual for me to do 1000 shots in a day, with lots of continuous shooting with SR and the battery isn't close to drained. I don't have a grip, I don't use flash, I have the preview turned off, I use LV rarely, and I don't chimp much. I also tend to turn the camera off when not immediately in use.

I keep a spare charged battery in my bag just in case, but it sounds like people's experience with battery life varies widely. I've been pretty impressed.
07-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Dan.
Pretty sure the bigger power drain on the k3 vs k5 is down to:

1. the larger buffer (each bit needs to be constantly cycled)
2. The larger sensor (more data to process)
3. Beefier processor (to process the larger amounts of data)

On the flip side, I'd imagine there would be power savings from upgrading from the older TFT LCD in the k-5 to (I'm assuming) a newer oled version. I'm assuming they would be using a smaller fab process for the processor (which would lead to more efficiency due to less resistance).

All in all, it's a toss up between the two, and this time the k3 draws more power than the k5 (and the next body may use less).

Turn off sr, turn the brightness of the LCD down (or better yet, turn it off), and you should get pretty decent battery life (less if you use sdm/dc lenses)
07-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Beefier processor (to process the larger amounts of data)
This is supposed to use less energy for more processing power. Concerning the MB86S22AA processor used in the K-3:
SuVolta, Inc. and Fujitsu Semiconductor Limited today announced volume production of the first Deeply Depleted Channel™ (DDC) transistor-based chip, MB86S22AA Milbeaut® image processor integrated circuit (IC). Manufactured on "CS250S" technology, which combines Fujitsu Semiconductor's 55nm process with DDC technology, the IC has 30 percent lower power consumption and roughly twice the processing performance compared to the existing products, despite the new product having considerably more circuits with enhanced processing performance.

Quoted from First DDC

Dan.
07-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I apparently got a bad battery. My experience has been similar to that of the K-3s various online reviewers.

Steve
08-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Today, took 1,768 K-3 raw shots in 60 mins in a soccer match. This time I remembered to look at the battery indicator at the end. Still showing all bars.

Dan.
08-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One has to wonder if some of the variances are due to the amount of time elapsed verses the number of shots. It seems like we are getting a large amount of exposures all in one day but if you spread in out longer you may get less shots per charge.
08-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Today, took 1,768 K-3 raw shots in 60 mins in a soccer match. This time I remembered to look at the battery indicator at the end. Still showing all bars.

Dan.

I think that shooting condition change the number of photos you can take.

Here with lot of photo in a short time (you have 1 photo every 2 second on average), it seem logical that consumption of just the APN being powered on, the consumption of the screen when reviewing parameters are accounting for far less than somebody shooting the same amount of photo in 3 days or 1 week.

Other factors like if the battery is new or not can have impact too.