Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
One has to wonder if some of the variances are due to the amount of time elapsed verses the number of shots. It seems like we are getting a large amount of exposures all in one day but if you spread in out longer you may get less shots per charge.
Perhaps. I think the biggest drains on the battery are (a) using the LCD screen and (b) using live view/video. I don't use on camera flash, but I suppose that would drain battery as well.

08-02-2014, 06:42 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think power drainage is related as much to how much time the camera is turned on and being used, as it is to how many shots a person takes.

Running time-lapse with instant preview on, the K3 would go steadily for 3-4 hours, 3,000-4,000 shots before needing a battery change. The K5-II and K5-IIs can go a little longer, another hour or so. Shooting in a more normal way, like on a weekend in the city, I'd easily only need one battery (though I do always carry a spare).

Personally, I think battery performance on the K5, K5-II/s and K3 Pentax cameras is outstanding, which is one of the reasons I like them. I wish mirrorless would catch up in this regard... it's one of my only complaints about the Fuji cameras – the comparatively poor battery performance.
08-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I think power drainage is related as much to how much time the camera is turned on and being used, as it is to how many shots a person takes.

Running time-lapse with instant preview on, the K3 would go steadily for 3-4 hours, 3,000-4,000 shots before needing a battery change. The K5-II and K5-IIs can go a little longer, another hour or so. Shooting in a more normal way, like on a weekend in the city, I'd easily only need one battery (though I do always carry a spare).

Personally, I think battery performance on the K5, K5-II/s and K3 Pentax cameras is outstanding, which is one of the reasons I like them. I wish mirrorless would catch up in this regard... it's one of my only complaints about the Fuji cameras – the comparatively poor battery performance.
Reflex do not need power to display the viewfinder...
08-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Reflex do not need power to display the viewfinder...
I'm aware of that.

08-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The title for this thread asks about realistic shots per charge and the original post adds a few qualifiers (no live view and limited chimping). I have been following and reading most of the comments and think I can summarize our user's experience in a few points:
  • Thousands of shots per charge are possible
  • Several contributors to this thread get less than 1000 shots per charge
  • Frequent use of the rear LCD will severely reduce the number of shots per charge
  • To stretch the amount of usage:
    • Turn off the info display
    • Turn off instant review
    • Don't use live view
    • Don't chimp
A few other factors that are sort of a given:
  • Video is power hungry
  • The on-board flash is power hungry
One thing that did not come up in the discussion is whether frequent AF use (say tracking moving objects in AF-C mode) may decrease the shots per charge. I think it safe to assume that the answer is yes.

Steve
08-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The title for this thread asks about realistic shots per charge and the original post adds a few qualifiers (no live view and limited chimping). I have been following and reading most of the comments and think I can summarize our user's experience in a few points:
  • Thousands of shots per charge are possible
  • Several contributors to this thread get less than 1000 shots per charge
  • Frequent use of the rear LCD will severely reduce the number of shots per charge
  • To stretch the amount of usage:
    • Turn off the info display
    • Turn off instant review
    • Don't use live view
    • Don't chimp
A few other factors that are sort of a given:
  • Video is power hungry
  • The on-board flash is power hungry
One thing that did not come up in the discussion is whether frequent AF use (say tracking moving objects in AF-C mode) may decrease the shots per charge. I think it safe to assume that the answer is yes.

Steve

Both days I shot around 3500 on one battery AF.C was in almost constant use. Hydroplanes don't pose so to speak. You have to grab your shots on the fly.

Last edited by kkoether; 08-02-2014 at 09:24 AM.
08-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #37

This is slightly off-thread but if you want to get an idea of how good generic batteries are - weigh them! The real battery weighs 77gm on my digital scales; cheap generics typically weigh about 50gm. Battery capacity relates pretty well to weight so a 50gm battery will probably give two thirds of the number of shots (Not bad really as they are much, much, cheaper) Good quality generics often weigh the same as the original.

10-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Took 2,054 K-3 raw shots today at a Little Athletics weekly meeting. (Last week it was 1,768 shots at the same place.) Forgot to look at the battery indicator to see if it showed any drop, but the camera was still behaving normally.

Dan.
10-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #39
Inactive Account

I easily get 1900 (minimum) shots on a fully charged battery in jpeg Large files. Considerably more if I don't use LV or preview photos. (Guessing 2500) Note that I don't use flash. I am very impressed with the battery life!
II have used "save to RAW & JPEG" shooting heavily all day and not run out of battery!

Last edited by Pentaxaholic; 11-03-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: tested and numbers were off
03-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

I took 2,271 K-3 raw shots at a futsal competition yesterday on 1 battery. I forgot to look at the battery meter at the end. I had both the shot review and back LCD status display turned off, as I didn't have time to view them.

Dan.
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hmm... I spent last week on a vacation shooting about 400 shots per day. I was getting two days on a battery (about 800 shots)... I was rotating among three batteries, two were OEM and one was a generic. I'm fairly certain the generic only got about 600 shots, but it isn't really a complaint.
03-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Perhaps the difference in power consumption is due to how often the rear LCD display is illuminated? The 2,271 taken shots was based on consecutive filename numbering. In a few parts I managed to immediately review what I knew would be dull/dud shots and deleted 74 shots i.e. 2,197 shots were left to be transferred. But overall, the back LCD was not used much.

A 2nd point is with AF.C bursts, it's possible that there will often either be no AF adjustment or only a small adjustment between shots in a burst. Whereas with all AF.S single-shot shooting, AF will probably adjust more for each shot. Against that, with AF.C the AF will be working continually when I'm tracking the action before pressing the shutter release button.

A 3rd and perhaps much more important point is that I wasn't using SR.

A 4th point is I have sensor dust shaking operating every time I turn on. With the type of action shooting I did yesterday, this sensor shaking would have occurred less often than a day full of turn-on-and-shoot/turn-on-and-review activity. (I don't think that wake-up-from-sleeping shooting performs sensor shaking.)

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-02-2015 at 04:16 PM.
03-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Perhaps the difference is due to how often the rear LCD display is illuminated?
It is my suspicion that those users who are getting incredible number of shots/charge have preview turned off, never use flash or AF, and also use faster shutter speeds (holding that mirror up is a big source of power drain).

Steve
03-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
use faster shutter speeds (holding that mirror up is a big source of power drain).

This was a daytime indoor action event relying partly on natural lighting, so I used 1/800s shutter speed.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 03-02-2015 at 04:17 PM.