Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Realistic number of shots on a fully charged battery

Looking to upgrade my K200D to a K3. I do a lot of Boat Racing photography. It's nothing to shoot 1500 to 2000 shots a day. I'm planning on a BG-5 grip also. Anyone have any realistic idea of how many shots I can expect per battery. No live view and limited reviewing of shots. I want to make sure I have plenty of charged batteries. It's first race weekend could be the weekend of the 4th of July.

With my K200D and grip I can go a full day without changing batteries.

Thanks!

06-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With the grip you should be able to get around 2,000 shots, possibly more if you don't use the LCD or flash at all. You can also always just take some spare AA's with you (the grip comes with 2 trays) so that power is never an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With the grip you should be able to get around 2,000 shots, possibly more if you don't use the LCD or flash at all. You can also always just take some spare AA's with you (the grip comes with 2 trays) so that power is never an issue.

Thanks Adam! That's kind of what I was hoping for. Since I'll have my K200D also I do have quite the supply of Eneloops!
07-07-2014, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to update this thread. On Sunday I was able to take over 1900 shots on a freshly charged fairly new set of Eneloop's in the grip. It never rolled over onto the onboard battery. On Saturday I had and older set of Eneloop's in the grip that died around 1300 shots. I'm impressed!!!

I also picked up 2 SanDisk Extreme Plus 80 MB/s 32G cards. Each card indicated 600 shot available when empty but each card ultimately held around 1040 RAW shots.

It was quite a satisfying 1st weekend at the races with my new K3!!!

Last edited by kkoether; 07-07-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
07-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shoot portraits and for a long day it will also get in the 1000+ numbers, usually with very little screen usage (review exposure in the start of a photoshoot, then blank) and no flash. I use the grip + in body battery (2x D-LI90) and usually both of them show fully charged after a day like that. Occasionally the battery in the grip will drop one bar (to yellow). I don't think you can deplete two D-LI90's in one day
07-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks good.
07-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't have a good figure for how many pictures I generally take in a day, but one battery can get me through at least 3-4 days of all-day hiking/sightseeing and photography. I'm really not sure what I'd have to do to run the battery down to nothing in a single day...
07-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My concern came from reading numerous reviews mentioning poor battery life. I know I shoot a lot of pictures during a race weekend so I was concerned about battery life. Last Sunday I shot almost 2000 shots in one day. Hydroplanes don't pose. You have to catch them in the act, literally.

Since I started the thread I figured I would report my results which in my book were outstanding. Hopefully It'll put others at ease with battery life questions.

I was also quite pleased with the number of RAW shots each 32G card would actually hold. The 600 the camera initially reported had me somewhat worried but I also knew my K200D would fit more on a card than initially reported.

As I said I was Extremely Pleased with my first weekend of shooting Hydroplanes with my new K3.

07-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Turn off the LCD preview, and I've got well over 1000 shots on a battery, with no signs of needing to recharge soon.
07-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Forum Member

Turning off the LCD preview should increase the battery life for sure. Normally with LCD on I am taking about 500 pictures.
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gzub Quote
Turning off the LCD preview should increase the battery life for sure. Normally with LCD on I am taking about 500 pictures.
Or simply turn off the rear LCD status display. I leave the preview on though...habitual chimper. I was a little concerned about battery life when I got my K-3 since it was obvious in the first couple of days of ownership that my old K10D had it beat hands down in that arena. Since then, I have just gotten in the habit of making sure I have a full charge before I leave the house. I also have a couple of spare batteries and a car charger due to arrive in a few days.

Steve
07-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I also have a couple of spare batteries and a car charger due to arrive in a few days.
Good idea - the car charger has saved my butt a couple of times on this trip. I'm currently 3,000 miles from home and in the car for many hours a day. One battery is always in the car charger while I'm using the other one. The K-3 is turned on at all times with O-GPS1 and Flu-card running - battery seems to last about 8 - 10 hours (average daily shots, approx. 75-100).

On a side note, I'm impressed with the battery life of the O-GPS1. A single Duracell AAA lasted all the way across the country, nearly 70 hours of active use before the low battery light came on.
07-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I've never exhausted the K-3 battery yet. Max. number of raw shots so far in a 60-min junior soccer match has been 1,582:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/242969-sports-images-k-3-a-3.html#post2671969

Lots of AF.C bursts.

(I may have done over 1,700 in another match, but can't remember if I changed the battery as a precaution - the K-5/K-01 battery is the same type.)

For max. battery life, best to turn off automatic after-shot reviewing and the continuous back-screen menu display.

Also, since I'm shooting sports, I don't enable SR which must definitely be saving some power.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 07-12-2014 at 01:58 PM.
07-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm rather amazed at how much battery life I am getting out of my K-30 actually and supposedly the K-3 is even better when it comes to that. I bought four more generic batteries and a generic AA adapter so that I'd have plenty for normal use but I kind of thought that maybe I might need another four pack if I decided to travel? I've taken about 900 pics so far though and I've only had to change batteries once, and I have used the flash some because I've mostly shot indoors the weather outside being so beastly.

With this camera I could probably shoot all day on 2 batteries, 3 maybe if I was needing the flash a lot. My *ist used to totally eat batteries. The K-x was better but still during a shoot I'd be changing batteries out at least once every 30-45 mins or so even though I was using rechargeable ones. I'd get like 150-200 shots, max. I'm probably getting like 350-450 depending upon flash usage with the K-30. It's pretty darned awesome.

That being said I'm a fan of being 100% prepared with more charged up batteries than I will ever need. I don't travel without 10-12 at least and I always have half a dozen around just for normal use. Most generics are decent and cheap and I've had no problems with the ones I've used thus far. It's totally worth the $60 to me to have a dozen. FYI, Halcyon is a really decent brand and you can get like 4 for $30 with a wall charger on Amazon. I think they are good, almost better than the official battery is. I use them for my Oly too, and so far, no complaints at all.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-11-2014 at 09:00 PM.
07-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I get over a thousand photos easy on a charge. Put the grip on and of course, it doubles. If you a chimp a lot or use a lot of flash, that could certainly drop the number quite a bit, I am sure.