Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Go with both. Then you have a backup body and system.

Not helpful at all I know. I haven't used canon other than their low end stuff, which was pretty disappointing. I'm impressed with the K3 and have a long way to go before I run into it's limitations.

06-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend disregarding what people say are the negatives of DSLR video. I am a cinematographer living in Los Angeles, and I can tell from firsthand experience that Canon DSLRs are used frequently on professional shoots, including usage by very high level cinematographers on lower-budget projects. I personally worked with a cinematographer from American Horror Story on such a shoot recently.

I know some of the specs may not be the best, but to say that DSLR video is not suitable for professional work is simply not accurate. It's like when people say Canon's sensors are awful. Maybe they don't hit all of the specs in tests, but a large percentage of all professionally taken photographs are done with Canon cameras, so they must be capable of delivering.
06-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #33
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I would recommend disregarding what people say are the negatives of DSLR video. I am a cinematographer living in Los Angeles, and I can tell from firsthand experience that Canon DSLRs are used frequently on professional shoots, including usage by very high level cinematographers on lower-budget projects. I personally worked with a cinematographer from American Horror Story on such a shoot recently.

I know some of the specs may not be the best, but to say that DSLR video is not suitable for professional work is simply not accurate. It's like when people say Canon's sensors are awful. Maybe they don't hit all of the specs in tests, but a large percentage of all professionally taken photographs are done with Canon cameras, so they must be capable of delivering.
The fact is that while DSLRs, and Canon in particular, are still used on low budget shoots, they are no longer state of the art. It's simply a fact. Neither Canon nor Nikon have affordable 4K capable systems while Panasonic and SONY are leaving them behind. With the trend now towards archiving footage in 4K for downconversion to 1080 for distribution, if video capability was of importance I would not choose a Canon, Nikon or Pentax body at this point in time. I compare my K3 video with my GH4 video and there is no comparison, the GH4 trounces it (and Nikon and Canon) hands down.

If you need the 'cinematic' look and shallower DOF that FF provides, that is another issue. I for one dislike immensely 24FPS and find it of no use for my purposes when shooting documentary style nature and travel clips. I'm still able to get all of the DOF control I need with m4/3 sensors. YMMV.

Last edited by CDW; 06-29-2014 at 12:19 PM.