Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

70D or K3?

I have been using a Canon 550D and a Pentax K-30 for quite some time now. I want to sell off either camera and upgrade to either the 70D or K3 and stick to that system. However, both cameras are very similar in specs resulting in me having a dilemma for quite some time now. More about myself:

1) I do landscape photography quite often and I find the Pentax to be slightly better at this aspect as it has the features and quick accessibility to take the shot. It has also slightly better dynamic range (proved to be true in DXOmark too). The K3 would then be better than the 70D at this aspect too, although I'm not sure if marginally or significantly.

2) I shoot events sometimes too, and both autofocus system if paired with USM/SDM/HSM lenses with 2.8 aperture is able to finish the job properly. No problems with either camera. Canon AF might be a tad faster but Pentax high ISO performance is a bit better. Hence the dilemma once again.

3) I film videos for school projects too. 70D if paired with STM lenses and focus tracking will obviously be better, but for video I think there's no issue with me using MF. As for audio input, I may invest in an external rode mic, which boils down to the user-friendliness/video quality. I'm not sure which camera has the edge in video, with and without AF.

4) Flash - maybe Canon has more resources, but I don't use them now, although I may invest in a few in the future.

Although this is a pentax forum, I was wondering if anyone can give some advice and enlighten me on my decision. As for lenses wise, I have similar lenses for both systems so it doesn't matter. Just want to consolidate my equipment and stick to a system Thank you very much.

06-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no wrong choice, both are very good cameras. Which camera and system do you like using better? Go with your own instincts.

Dale
06-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
There is no wrong choice, both are very good cameras. Which camera and system do you like using better? Go with your own instincts.

Dale
Thanks Dale. But I'm afraid if I change to a system I'll regret not changing to the other system instead. Should probably follow the heart and live life without regrets
06-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's really a toss-up. I've used both cameras and found them to be on even footing in most situations. The 70D is definitely better in the video department despite the K-3's improvements over previous models (although the K-3 is definitely a capable camera for video), but the K-3 has better dynamic range and resolution. The K-3 seems to be more consistent in low light situations, although the 70D has slightly faster AF. I'm not sure you could go wrong with either camera, honestly. The K-3 seems to be the better deal right now.

06-28-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, I would consider the lens options and your shooting style. What lenses do you need? What lenses are you likely to use?

In favour of Pentax
K-3 and K-30 share the same lenses incl. legacy lenses (K-mount).

K-3 and K-30 are both WR.

Pentax offers fantastic primes, eg FA Ltd series, DA Ltd series.....

But I would not discard Canon if it fits better your shooting style and requirements. Canon offers a wider range of modern lenses, especially longer lenses.

My 5 cents...
06-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
It's really a toss-up. I've used both cameras and found them to be on even footing in most situations. The 70D is definitely better in the video department despite the K-3's improvements over previous models (although the K-3 is definitely a capable camera for video), but the K-3 has better dynamic range and resolution. The K-3 seems to be more consistent in low light situations, although the 70D has slightly faster AF. I'm not sure you could go wrong with either camera, honestly. The K-3 seems to be the better deal right now.
Thanks! But as for the usage (how fast you can change settings), which one is better?

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 11:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For me, I would consider the lens options and your shooting style. What lenses do you need? What lenses are you likely to use?

In favour of Pentax
K-3 and K-30 share the same lenses incl. legacy lenses (K-mount).

K-3 and K-30 are both WR.

Pentax offers fantastic primes, eg FA Ltd series, DA Ltd series.....

But I would not discard Canon if it fits better your shooting style and requirements. Canon offers a wider range of modern lenses, especially longer lenses.

My 5 cents...
I shoot events too so most of my lenses are SDM/USM/Sigma HSM as they need to be silent. I love pentax primes but they don't have silent focusing which is a big downside to me. Hence I'm using the Sigma 17-50 for both systems.
06-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
Thanks! But as for the usage (how fast you can change settings), which one is better?
I found the K-3 to be more user-friendly, though even coming from other Pentax cameras the menus take a bit of getting used to.

06-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you asked the question about what glass you prefer. Pentax is limited in choice, but have many unique lenses.
06-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Have you asked the question about what glass you prefer. Pentax is limited in choice, but have many unique lenses.
I prefer Canon's glass. Not sure why though, but I just find it easier to use. Not to say I don't like pentax ones
06-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Banned

I haven't used the Canon system, so I'm not really qualified to comment on it's user-friendliness, but if I was in your position and I enjoyed the 'feel' of the Canon then I would upgrade to a Canon FF (6D or 5D Mkiii) and be done with it!

Unfortunately I'm fully invested in Pentax (and waiting not so patiently for a FF offering) but if I was in your shoes it would be a much easier decision.
06-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
I prefer Canon's glass. Not sure why though, but I just find it easier to use. Not to say I don't like pentax ones
Well there you have your answer then.
06-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
Well there you have your answer then.
Sighs but I really like pentax bodies. If only I can mount EOS lenses on pentax bodies everything would be alright.
06-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Follow your gut, go with Canon...

But what kind of experience do you have with Pentax glass? Pentax glass is great.

I haven't used the 70D, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm a bit of a fanboy for the 5DC and I, too, love some Canon lenses. But for APS-C I know that I'd take the K3 over the 70D anytime.
06-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I suspect you won't be happy unless you upgrade both and you want permission from the forum to justify it. Go ahead. We're all gear addicts here. We completely understand.
06-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
if Pentax will release D/FA*70-200/2.8 sometime soon, you may well stick with Pentax. that C 70-200/2.8L is expensive as in .. expensive, but it is a nice piece of glass.
Pentax? Ricoh? Will you? Please? Pretty please? With sugar on top?