Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alwaysjerricky Quote
I have been using a Canon 550D and a Pentax K-30 for quite some time now. I want to sell off either camera and upgrade to either the 70D or K3 and stick to that system. However, both cameras are very similar in specs resulting in me having a dilemma for quite some time now. More about myself:

1) I do landscape photography quite often and I find the Pentax to be slightly better at this aspect as it has the features and quick accessibility to take the shot. It has also slightly better dynamic range (proved to be true in DXOmark too). The K3 would then be better than the 70D at this aspect too, although I'm not sure if marginally or significantly.

2) I shoot events sometimes too, and both autofocus system if paired with USM/SDM/HSM lenses with 2.8 aperture is able to finish the job properly. No problems with either camera. Canon AF might be a tad faster but Pentax high ISO performance is a bit better. Hence the dilemma once again.

3) I film videos for school projects too. 70D if paired with STM lenses and focus tracking will obviously be better, but for video I think there's no issue with me using MF. As for audio input, I may invest in an external rode mic, which boils down to the user-friendliness/video quality. I'm not sure which camera has the edge in video, with and without AF.

4) Flash - maybe Canon has more resources, but I don't use them now, although I may invest in a few in the future.

Although this is a pentax forum, I was wondering if anyone can give some advice and enlighten me on my decision. As for lenses wise, I have similar lenses for both systems so it doesn't matter. Just want to consolidate my equipment and stick to a system Thank you very much.
The Canon vs. Pentax topic is common here, so I'd recommend you search the forum.

I shot with Pentax for many years but added a 7D about six years ago for shooting sports for my employer at the time. I found that it worked much better for corporate events because of the superior flash system and better choices and quality of zoom lenses.

Then last year I purchased a K-3, but sold it after a couple of months as its performance for shooting action wasn't at the level of the 7D (it was about 60%--not too shabby), but the lack of professional-level long lenses and modern lenses in K -mount I found frustrating. I also found the user interface & overall usability on the K-3 to be deprecated from older Pentax DSLRs. Managing the complexity of modern cameras I feel is better handled by Canon.

Nowadays I mostly shoot with a 5DMK3 which has surprised me with how much I enjoy using it. Certainly one of the most satisfying cameras I've used in 45 years of shooting. The usability is superb.

For your needs I'd wait until the new 7D comes out within the next four months. The 70D I have only shot with sporadically, and find it to be less ergonomic and cheaper feeling, though I really like the articulating LCD. The basic sensor is quite aged, though in the real world few would notice much difference from a sony sensor if you as a photographer can work it right. All cameras have limitations.

Canon stuff can be heavier and bulkier, but that's not much of a concern for me these days. The SL1 I find to be fun, small, and cheap and when paired with the Canon 40mm pancake, it out Pentaxes Pentax.

All this said, the K-3 is a really good camera and the Ltd lenses & DA* lenses are excellent. These would meet your requirements quite well too. It is nice to have excellent choices.

M

06-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
I'd need to try it out first; I'm biased at the moment. the only Sigma I ever used was 70-300/4-5.6(?) APO, about 10 years ago, and it was .. well, plain bad. maybe a bad copy, I don't know, but I'm suspicious now
06-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I suspect you won't be happy unless you upgrade both and you want permission from the forum to justify it. Go ahead. We're all gear addicts here. We completely understand.
I 2nd that, go with the K3 and a FF Canon.
06-28-2014, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I prefer Canon's glass. Not sure why though, but I just find it easier to use. Not to say I don't like pentax ones
IIRC, you were not a Pentax user until very recently right?

If you prefer Canon, go with Canon.
Otherwise, it will always 'bite' you mentally.

Camera wise, I do think you know your stuff and deep in, you know that the K3 is better.
Better build
Better resolution (no AA, 24mp)
Better DR
Better high ISO
Also can use the 24mp to the advantage of downscaling to keep noise down or look very sharp.

I'd say that Pentax is more generous with features and a better flow of features and buttons for photo taking that makes sense.
eg. Review with histogram within one review
eg. Timer shutter release for bracketing
eg. Key in of manual lens focal length to have SR and EXIF info for lens FL.

The gap with AF is close up more nowadays with the -3EV focusing ability of the K3

Video, K70 is better, but does it really matter that much?
Only you can answer that.
What I mean is that how into it are you with all the format technicalities to make the diff between K3/70D matter?

Flash?
Canon is better for TTL.
If you are tenacious enough to learn manual flash, it matters little. (in fact it helps to know anyway as you can take full control when x-TTL don't do what you want)

All said though, I've been CS for a while.
The psychological thing always eats into a person asking such questions.
I can argue the K3 merits until my mouth is dry, but even if the guy buys into the logic and gets a Pentax, he switches soon enough.
So just follow your 'want'

06-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well lets see Interesting question, however, consider:
K3 has better ISO, more autofocus points, higher frame rate, stabilisation, stronger body, dual card slots, more pixels, better low light performance and better image quality. The 70D has touch screen and better video. So, if you're buying it for stills... (Or, if you're buying it for video....) :-)
06-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I never considered Canon for extended evaluation in APS-C format, given the sensor/processor comparisons and an apparent lack of interest by Canon to push their "numbers"/technology ahead on the 'stills' IQ front on some predictable schedule: to put it somewhat euphemistically... I think you cannot predict what you're going to able to do with your digital files in the future with much confidence; but I would assume I'm going to want the highest quality files I could have mustered... and would not like to feel regrets on that score. So to me, Pentax or Nikon 24mp full frame were the only DSLR choices in the end. (And Nikon did a swell job convincing me they weren't the same Nikon I used to know as a kind of pro.) ...Not that I wouldn't have preferred a 24mp X-T1 kind of 21st Century camera realization -- but with competent video -- over even a K3. You can't always get what you want. I would not want to speculate about a 5D Mk III, but I could not work up any interest in a 6D. I prioritize landscape, too, BTW.

Since you did a great job telling us your perspective, I have to note that you ticked off and more or less discounted whatever arguments I could think of for going with a Canon APS-C body. If you want Canon lenses, you're going to want the bang up to date premium choices, not yesterday's talked-up popular picks, not lower grade, lower cost lenses -- you could do better, I suspect, with 3rd party options in that case. Personally, I just couldn't see it, not being that interested in video or tricky follow focus scenarios. I make no claim to be a Canon expert. I did not care for what I saw comparing Canon files of landscape type subjects to m4/3 rivals, even up, in some number of cases -- enough to satisfy my interest on the consider Canon-? score. Just that simple. FWIW.
06-29-2014, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In that you currently have both systems - put one up on the shelf and start exclusively shooting with the other. It does not matter which one your choice. Stick with it for a month - an evaluation, if you please. Keep some notes on the +/- as you use the system. There may be some additional items that you come up with and surprise yourself.

At the end of the month, sit down and evaluate your choice - by going through your notes. Is this the system that you want to continue with? Make an honest evaluation - no cheating. That is probably the only way that you are going to be able to come to a decision. If something drastic happens - you still have the other system - as in you did not sell it regret.....

06-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In that you currently have both systems - put one up on the shelf and start exclusively shooting with the other. It does not matter which one your choice. Stick with it for a month - an evaluation, if you please. Keep some notes on the +/- as you use the system. There may be some additional items that you come up with and surprise yourself.

At the end of the month, sit down and evaluate your choice - by going through your notes. Is this the system that you want to continue with? Make an honest evaluation - no cheating. That is probably the only way that you are going to be able to come to a decision. If something drastic happens - you still have the other system - as in you did not sell it regret.....

Great advice.
06-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't make a choice for the wrong reasons.

High iso ability and fast response are irrelevant for landscape photography where you use a tripod, take you time, and can use long exposures and very low iso.

I see no valid reason for choosing either over the other so you have a truly free choice and can choose the systems you prefer.

The only additional consideration I will throw in the mix is. Pentax makes it slightly easier to use legacy m42 glass (if using m42 lenses was a consideration).
06-29-2014, 03:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Thanks! But as for the usage (how fast you can change settings), which one is better?.
I don't shoot Canon, and in Pentax a K5II, but...

On a recent photography course when it came to making adjustments to settings I was always the one who made the changes quickest, by some margin. It was even commented on by the tog running the course.

It seemed to me that all of us were equally unfamiliar with our cameras, it was just that the Pentax menus and buttons were far more idiot friendly!
06-29-2014, 03:51 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks! But as for the usage (how fast you can change settings), which one is better?

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 11:32 AM ----------

I shoot events too so most of my lenses are SDM/USM/Sigma HSM as they need to be silent. I love pentax primes but they don't have silent focusing which is a big downside to me. Hence I'm using the Sigma 17-50 for both systems.
Bro,

Do you know that the DA* lenses are really silent? I have the DA*16-50 f2.8 and I just traded off the DA*50-135 F2.8 for a K5IIs. How silent do you want the lenses to be? The only SDM prime is the DA*55 F1.4 or the new DA 20-40 WR BUT you are a Canon user and only got into Pentax recently.

I have also noticed that you have been selling off your Pentax gear on CS so go with your heart. Get a CANON instead.

Last edited by felixkh; 06-29-2014 at 04:14 AM.
06-29-2014, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will stick to Pentax for now. I realised Pentax is still better in terms of image quality and functionality, which are key when I'm doing landscape. As for video, I think I can stick with manual focusing (will probably use MF when I'm using Canon too anyway). Most importantly, I think I just prefer Pentax bodies over Canon, can't bear to leave them.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 08:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Bro,

Do you know that the DA* lenses are really silent? I have the DA*16-50 f2.8 and I just traded off the DA*50-135 F2.8 for a K5IIs. How silent do you want the lenses to be? The only SDM prime is the DA*55 F1.4 or the new DA 20-40 WR BUT you are a Canon user and only got into Pentax recently.

I have also noticed that you have been selling off your Pentax gear on CS so go with your heart. Get a CANON instead.
Yeah I know DA* lenses are silent. In fact I'm saving up for the DA50135, I'm selling those gear as I realised I only needed them once in a while so figured why not sell them to invest in other important stuff such as panoramic head/ND filters
06-29-2014, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #28
CDW
Site Supporter

Please don't take the following comments as coming from a troll. I'm not. I own a Pentax 645D and K3. Each has it's own merits and fits different shooting needs. When I originally transitioned to digital from medium format film, I went with Canon bodies for many years, owning a series of pro and consumer bodies and L series lenses, so I have a good feel for Canon. All that said, I much prefer the K3 ergonomically over any of the Canons that I owned.

Video is a weakness in most DSLRs. While the Canon may outperform the Pentax in that area, both are weak and do not come close to delivering state of the art video. You'll be lucky to get 700 lines or so of real resolution out of the typical DSLR, much less 1080. So, here is an alternative to consider--consider being the operative term here. A Panasonic GH4.

I purchased a GH4 about a month ago. The video is in a league of it's own. Shooting 4K, recording to an internal SD card and then down converting to 1080P, the results are stunning. Even 1080 shot at high bit rate outperforms the 70D or K3. Twenty dollars worth of adapters on ebay let you use Canon or Pentax lenses on the body. Even the cheapie Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens is excellent. Panasonic is reputed to be using a SONY sensor and the cleaness of shadows when pushing to recover shadow details is excellent and the similarity between images from the GH4 and K3 is remarkable. The AF and frame rate of the GH4 is superior to either the K3 or 70D and like those, the GH4 is professionally constructed.

So, there are many tangible and intangibles to weigh. I'm fortunate that I have a photography business that allows me to own and use multiple bodies for different needs, and I understand that some photographers may have to make a single body choice. But I wanted to make my thoughts known. More often than not, I'm using the GH4 and to a slightly lesser extent the K3, especially in situations where I may wish to shoot video.
06-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will stick to Pentax for now. I realised Pentax is still better in terms of image quality and functionality, which are key when I'm doing landscape. As for video, I think I can stick with manual focusing (will probably use MF when I'm using Canon too anyway). Most importantly, I think I just prefer Pentax bodies over Canon, can't bear to leave them.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 08:33 PM ----------

Yeah I know DA* lenses are silent. In fact I'm saving up for the DA50135, I'm selling those gear as I realised I only needed them once in a while so figured why not sell them to invest in other important stuff such as panoramic head/ND filters
There are actually 2 guys selling it in CS since last week. Both prices are good deal.
06-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
There are actually 2 guys selling it in CS since last week. Both prices are good deal.
I saw them too but unfortunately no $$ and won't be needing it till few months later so still can wait a while more.