Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
the D7100 is better is for tracking moving subjects. It works with the K-3 but Nikon's system is better.
This seems quite commonly reported. While the Pentax K-3 AF hardware is now as good, if not better, than comparable Nikon's like the D7100, I suspect that the Nikon AF software may be more evolved than Pentax's. This is quite likely, given that Nikon have had more, for example, pro sports field experience with cameras like the D4 series to help them develop how their AF software works, especially in regards to stuff like the algorithms for AF tracking.

On the positive side, since a lot of AF performance is software driven, there is always scope for the already very decent K-3 AF to improve even further over time with firmware updates.

07-03-2014, 04:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This seems quite commonly reported. While the Pentax K-3 AF hardware is now as good, if not better, than comparable Nikon's like the D7100, I suspect that the Nikon AF software may be more evolved than Pentax's. This is quite likely, given that Nikon have had more, for example, pro sports field experience with cameras like the D4 series to help them develop how their AF software works, especially in regards to stuff like the algorithms for AF tracking.

On the positive side, since a lot of AF performance is software driven, there is always scope for the already very decent K-3 AF to improve even further over time with firmware updates.
Yes, a smaller company like Pentax cannot dedicate all its resources to only the AF aspect. The K-3 improved Af nonetheless, along with white balance, metering, and many other things.

Still, since Pentax is profitable and Nikon is not, I'd say Ricoh/Pentax are doing some things right.
07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
If you have the money, buy both from B&H, use them for a couple of days, send back whichever one you like less. For me, the Pentax user interface is soooo much better.
These kind of thinking and comments are happening too often in North America (the way we shop here I guess)... makes me think twice and hard before placing any order from the stores and who is going to pay for a slightly 'used' camera?
07-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
These kind of thinking and comments are happening too often in North America (the way we shop here I guess)... makes me think twice and hard before placing any order from the stores and who is going to pay for a slightly 'used' camera?
I agree and would suggest instead that a person visit their local brick & mortar store and evaluate pre-purchase. If you like one of the cameras, inquire whether they will price match or work with you on a bundle to both of your advantage. It is very likely that the store will work with you.

Steve

07-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I am surprised the Nikon D7100 doesn't have more cross type AF points. ??
I have used the D7100 as well as the D800E and if i could choose all over again, i would still pick the Pentax. better ergonomics, weather shielding, in-body shake are really nice features of Pentax. Add to that some sweet prime glass from Pentax and i don't see a better way.
good luck!
07-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I am surprised the Nikon D7100 doesn't have more cross type AF points. ??
As Nikon and the camera specs say::

QuoteQuote:
"Fifteen cross-type sensors cover the most frequently used center area."
As illustrated here:

It is surprising. It means the K-3 cross-type sensors have a broader distribution across the shooting area than those of the D7100, as one can see from the image below of the K-3's AF point array:

Last edited by rawr; 07-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
07-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

As Nikon and the camera specs say::

As illustrated here:

It is surprising. It means the K-3 cross-type sensors have a broader distribution across the shooting area than those of the D7100, as one can see from the image below of the K-3's AF point array:
07-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

To be fair, the spead of the K-3 cross-type points is only probably 30-40% wider than the D7100 spread.

On a slight tangent, one thing I like about how Nikon illustrate their AF points (above) is that they display them as little rectangular REGIONS, rather than target POINTS.

Folks often seem to assume that the camera AF points work as tiny pin-points, rather than contrast sensitive regions. Hence all the talk of people wanting to focus on exact points like a model's eye at a distance (and then being dissappointed when the AF doesn't engage exactly on that point). I think the Nikon depiction of their AF points is realistic. It would be nice if Pentax illustrated things the same way.

07-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

i would be fine with 9-cross points, but spread out over the frame.
07-04-2014, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I agree and would suggest instead that a person visit their local brick & mortar store and evaluate pre-purchase. If you like one of the cameras, inquire whether they will price match or work with you on a bundle to both of your advantage. It is very likely that the store will work with you.
You guys do know that if I go to Henry's and ask these same questions, they are going to tell me to do the same thing. Put both lenses I'm interested in on my credit card and send one back. They have no interest in stocking high end items in their store locations, not even their downtown store. I went in and asked to see a DA 15 and FA 31 once and the guy told me I was nuts. Want a look, order them and send them back. If the store guy himself tells you to do that, who are we to complain. Apparently that's cheaper for them than carrying a lot of expensive stock at every store. Most of them don't want to stock anything they don't have a chance to sell within 30 days when the invoice was due. They had at least 12 Pentax lenses on their shelves, but not one DA* or any lens priced over $500.

Or to put it another way, not only would they have to carry inventory that might be dead for six months, possibly meaning interest payments for 5 months, some guy has to take that lens off the shelf, talk to you while you fool around with it, make sure you don't walk out with, and do it without making you feel like a criminal. And someone has to pay that guy. And honestly, if they had every DA* and Ltd. in stock, a guy like me would go in there and spend the afternoon trying out every one of them. Then I'd go home and look at the images, and buy maybe one, or maybe just save it for future reference, and still have questions.

Once I get a lens in the mail from Henry's I can have it for 7 days before I send it back.... that's a heck of a tryout, better than renting the lens first really. So the only downside would be if you don't have enough of a credit limit to get both lenses at the same time.

Once you are established as a preferred customer, the guys on the phone will offer you deals you didn't even ask for. The web people have your sales records in front of them, the guys in the store, not so much. In one conversation, the guy said "oh, you're a heavy user and gave me a discount that covered my tax, without me even asking for it, on-line, they treat you like somebody. If i want I can also go direct to their "pro-services" line, and talk to someone who actually knows photography. Spend 3 or 4 grand there and they treat you a lot better on line than they do as a walk-in customer.

Last edited by normhead; 07-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.
07-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I see what you mean. However even Nikon's dedicated sports-shooters like the D4s cluster their cross-types in the frame centre just like the D7100 and K-3.

The Canon 7D and 70D also cluster their 19 cross-type AF points heavily in the centre of the frame too. Pic related - the 70D's 19 (all cross-type) AF points.

Even the dedicated sports-shooter Canon 1Dx places most of it's cross-types around the frame centre:

The fact that Nikon, Canon and Pentax have clustered their cross-points close to the frame centre suggests it must relate to usage cases and field tests. Most likely, sports photography.
07-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I see what you mean. However even Nikon's dedicated sports-shooters like the D4s cluster their cross-types in the frame centre just like the D7100 and K-3.

The Canon 7D and 70D also cluster their 19 cross-type AF points heavily in the centre of the frame too. Pic related - the 70D's 19 (all cross-type) AF points.

Even the dedicated sports-shooter Canon 1Dx places most of it's cross-types around the frame centre:

The fact that Nikon, Canon and Pentax have clustered their cross-points close to the frame centre suggests it must relate to usage cases and field tests. Most likely, sports photography.
uh, ok.
07-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #28

Original Poster
It have arrived. And I am very happy. I was a bit worried since i could see grit and fingerprints through the viewfinder when i stopped down the lens. Doing this on my old D80 would go black so i never noticed it there. The viewfinder here is so bright.
But read up on it and seems its just how Focus screens are made, and the pictures are fine and mirror looks spotless.

Going to upgrade the firmware to 1.03 and then im out to take some pictures!