Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2014, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Unregistered User

Now I used the Adobe Labs DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 to extract the DNG profile from a Pentax K-3 DNG, tweaked just a touch and installed in ACR and Lightroom and now it looks pretty close to out of camera. This works for both DNG and PEF. I now can open the camera tab and choose Adobe Standard, Embedded if DNG or my own. On a PC you put the file in C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

I wanted to attach the file here but it won't let me so if you would like to try it give me a place to put it or send it. It is 1.05kB in size.

So I zipped the file. Use if you want.

---------- Post added 07-02-14 at 11:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
You could try the Rawstudio profile in Photoshop for the K-3. I find their K-30 profile better than Adobe's own - it's free as well. You have to put the .dcp file in the right folder and you get an extra Rawstudio option in ACR added to the usual Embedded etc. Have a look for other dcp files on your computer and the file will need to be in the same place as them.
Thanks but it was even less color with this profile.

Attached Files
File Type: zip PENTAX K-3 Pentax K-3 Hed_Final.zip (1.1 KB, 106 views)
07-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Now I used the Adobe Labs DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4 to extract the DNG profile from a Pentax K-3 DNG, tweaked just a touch and installed in ACR and Lightroom and now it looks pretty close to out of camera. This works for both DNG and PEF. I now can open the camera tab and choose Adobe Standard, Embedded if DNG or my own. On a PC you put the file in C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
Very interesting - thanks for the info!
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
The RAW files have the same color information either way - which (fortunately) is broader than even ProPhoto RGB.
I understand what you are saying, though I am not sure that the AsShotICCProfile tag in the DNG is not set to reflect the rendering intent from the setup menu. Even if it is, the DNG spec indicates that the tag is optional for both the camera and the reader. As you said, it probably makes little difference for RAW capture, though my other two suggestions are still appropriate.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-02-14 at 08:03 PM ----------

Now that is interesting. Thanks!

Steve
07-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I understand what you are saying, though I am not sure that the AsShotICCProfile tag in the DNG is not set to reflect the rendering intent from the setup menu. Even if it is, the DNG spec indicates that the tag is optional for both the camera and the reader. As you said, it probably makes little difference for RAW capture, though my other two suggestions are still appropriate.
Agreed - your other two steps are hugely important for getting the best color results.

It would be interesting to see whether changing the in-camera color space makes a difference in the initial colors shown in the RAW editor. Of course which editor - and whether DNG or PEF is used - could affect the results. But frankly, as interested as I am in knowing, my motivation to test this is low - since it probably wouldn't change my workflow anyway.

07-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

my motivation to test this is low
Same here. If I already had a color target, I might feel differently, but I don't.

Steve
07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was hoping Adobe had improved things with the new 2014 CC software. I've updated, but I gave up doing much RAW processing with Adobe a long time ago. PS is for when extensive edits are needed, and I don't use LR at all any more.

It's too bad, as I understand Adobe's made some real processing (performance) improvements in these new releases.

It's the camera color profiles. Adobe has done a poor job with them for years. Phase One takes these profiles seriously (it's not easy, their tech guys assure me), even with less "big name" camera models like Pentax DSLRs or my Olympus XZ-1.

You best bet is to either switch to another RAW editor (at least for the initial processing) or plead with Adobe to re-do the profiles (because, as you said with the K-5, they can make reasonably good ones when they try).
Just for the record regarding K-3 support by Phase one in CO1v7: they simply took the K5-generic profile, copy/pasted it and changed the external name to "k3-generic". The results were predictable, since the K3 uses a totally different sensor: bad. I raised a support case beginning of april, but never got a straight answer, and nothing has changed since then. So much for the serious about "less big name" camera models......i.e.: their online support guys are "serious" but their tech department/product management has different views. I found out that these two views don't correlate

Chris
07-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Just for the record regarding K-3 support by Phase one in CO1v7: they simply took the K5-generic profile, copy/pasted it and changed the external name to "k3-generic". The results were predictable, since the K3 uses a totally different sensor: bad. I raised a support case beginning of april, but never got a straight answer, and nothing has changed since then. So much for the serious about "less big name" camera models......i.e.: their online support guys are "serious" but their tech department/product management has different views. I found out that these two views don't correlate
Interesting story. The situation only gets worse the bigger the company gets (Adobe?).

I know the tech guys who actually do the work care about these things. But I think Phase One's been under more pressure lately. They haven't publicly gone absolutely insane like Hasselblad has, but perhaps they're still feeling the effects. [Now speculating here, based on how organizations often function ->] At some point management tells you to simply ignore many known problems, and eventually you do so or you get replaced by someone who doesn't even care in the first place. Pretty soon the company is functioning as poorly as any proper software giant, yet without the benefit of the revenue they have. At least the giant can sort of get away with it. Not so sure about the smaller guy, though.

People who care make life feel worthwhile; People who don't care can't see this.

Last edited by DSims; 07-03-2014 at 04:08 PM.
07-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I just installed Photoshop CC 2014 with Adobe Camera RAW 8.5. I have noticed a slight colour shift comparing the PEF-previews and the look in ACR before but now it is a huge difference. The pics here are untouched, just saved as jpegs. I do not know where to start in ACR to make them look as in DCU5 or any viewer that reads the PEFs. Forst one is what I expect it to look like (From DCU5), Second is the ACR 8.5 Default.
X-Rite launches DNG Profile Manager: Digital Photography Review You can create a custom color profile for your specific camera and lens, and you should for each lighting condition.