Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sd card speed for K-3

Hello,

What's the appropriate write speed for sd cards to get with the K-3?. I'm currently using Sandisk ultra, class 10, 30MB/s. Would it make a difference if I used faster cards or would it be over kill? Thanks

07-12-2014, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the information I have:-

Class 2 is the slowest SD card speed. Class 2 has a write speed of about 2 Mb/s and is suitable for standard definition video recording. Class 4 and Class 6 have write speeds of about 4 Mb/s and 6 Mb/s, respectively, and can be used for HD video recording. These three classes of SD cards are designed to operate under the normal bus interface.
Class 10 SD cards have write speeds of 10 Mb/s and up and are designed to operate under the high speed bus interface.

Beyond Class 10 is the UHS Speed Class. UHS stands for ultra high speed and includes cards that have speeds up to 312 Mb/s. The UHS speed class logo includes a number contained within a U-shape. Currently, there is only one UHS speed class: UHS Speed Class 1, which is designed for the UHS bus interface. Cards in this class will usually be noted as SDHC UHS-I or SDXC UHS-I.

Note that in order to read/write to a SDHC UHS-I or SDXC UHS-I card, youíll have to have a device that is capable of using both SDHC/SDXC and UHS-I cards. Note that you can use normal Speed Class cards in a device that supports UHS class cards.

One last thing to consider when choosing an SD card: capacity matters. Thatís because for the fastest write speed, the host automatically writes to memory units that are contiguous. However, as you use continue to use your card, the availability of memory units that are next to each other decreases. As such, the host has to skip around to the free memory units. This is called non-linear or fragmented storage, and it can slow down your write speed. Larger capacity cards have less issues with fragmentation.

The k3 is said to flush the buffer to card at up to 40 mb/sec that's beyond your existing card.

In other words it isn't overkill to upgrade you may see a speed increase but it probably wont be huge.
07-12-2014, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Hello,

What's the appropriate write speed for sd cards to get with the K-3?. I'm currently using Sandisk ultra, class 10, 30MB/s. Would it make a difference if I used faster cards or would it be over kill? Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
The k3 is said to flush the buffer to card at up to 40 mb/sec that's beyond your existing card.
Unlike earlier Pentax models, it can write even faster than that. The faster your write speed, the less time it will take the camera to save your photos.

If you do a lot of burst or raw shooting, I recommend the fastest cards, such as these from sandisk:
sandisk extreme pro sd | B&H Photo Video

Get the UHS-I extreme pro cards. Don't worry about the UHS-II cards, as the K-3 doesn't support (the faster speed of) those.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

If you bracket often or use continous shooting it is worth while to use a faster card. Our tests showed that the K-3 benefits from the 95 Mb/s UHS-I cards. Faster than that would be overkill.

My favorite is the 32 GB SanDisk Extreme Pro 95 Mb/s UHS-I card.

07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
kpl

Hi, I guess Imageman, Adam and Ole covered the topic pretty well.

I'd just like to add a link to a video with a brief overview of how different cards perform in practice.
Although it's not a Pentax, it's still a Nikon D7100 which is as close as it gets to the K-3:

If you tend to fill the buffer of your DSLR with raw images all of the time and would like to improve this a bit then getting sandisk extreme pro cards is certainly going to help a bit.

Cheers,
kpl
07-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you everybody!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you do a lot of burst or raw shooting, I recommend the fastest cards, such as these from sandisk: sandisk extreme pro sd | B&H Photo Video

I do shoot raw almost all the time and the delay to review can be annoying.... If the K-3 can take advantage of those sd 95MB/s, I will certainly try that. Thank you!
07-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Hello,

Disclaimer: Only have K-5IIs's and K-5. Good news, bad news, good news.

The good news is, got two 64 GB Samsung cards today from a Pentax Price Watch deal, actually billed at $30.95 ea with free shipping. Compared to the 64 GB SanDisk Ultras I've beenn using for two years, they are a lot faster to write and review,.

The bad news is, the deal is over.

The good news is, the new everyday price is a lot less than before.
07-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpl Quote
Hi, I guess Imageman, Adam and Ole covered the topic pretty well.

I'd just like to add a link to a video with a brief overview of how different cards perform in practice.
Although it's not a Pentax, it's still a Nikon D7100 which is as close as it gets to the K-3:

D7100 Memory Card Test - YouTube

If you tend to fill the buffer of your DSLR with raw images all of the time and would like to improve this a bit then getting sandisk extreme pro cards is certainly going to help a bit.

Cheers,
kpl
The D7100 changes from almost useless to satisfactory with a fast card. The K-3 has a larger buffer so the improvement is less extreme.

That being said, buy the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. They are reliable, I've got one that worked for over a year, very heavy usage. And they are quick.

07-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Look at the links showing the speed results and describing 2 different testing methodologies in this post :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/256119-transcend-600x-uhs-...ml#post2762570

As regards a good bang-for-the-buck, look at the PNY 32GB & 64GB SDHC Elite Performance UHS-1 90MB/sec cards on Amazon:

Amazon.com: PNY 32GB SDHC Elite Performance UHS-1 90MB/sec: Computers & Accessories

Using H2testw in an ext. USB3 card read I measured:
Warning: Only 61086 of 61087 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 61.2 MByte/s
Reading speed: 82.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
These are in true MB (1,048,576 bytes). If using 1 MB = 1,000,000 bytes, as the HDD and memory storage industries do, these results would be:
Writing speed: 64.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 86.5 MByte/s
This was with 128KB clusters, which is what the K-3 uses when formatting the card. If you are a raw shooter, with the bigger resulting files, a 512KB cluster gives slightly better results.

In the post with the links I've listed my Ultra & Extreme Pro results. And above you have the PNY results too.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 07-13-2014 at 04:11 PM.
07-14-2014, 06:04 AM   #10

On the weekend I purchased the 32gb PNY SDHC Pro-Elite Plus, compared to the card I did have in the K-3 it is over twice as fast as writing the raw files, this card is in slot 1. In the 2nd slot I have the original 45mbs (read) card, this is having the JPEG file written to it and it is not particularly fast, although when I get home this evening I should have the SanDisk (SDSDXPA-032G-FFP) 32gb card waiting for me.

I will work out which of the 2 (PNY or SanDisk) is faster at writing RAW and leave this in slot 1, slot 2 will hold the other for JPEGS.

The reason I went for the PNY in the first place is that comes with a 5 year warranty, not sure about the SanDisk..

It may be overkill having 2 fast write cards in the K-3 but even 1 has a very noticeable improvement on performance and is worth the cost.
08-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by zelda_n64 Quote
On the weekend I purchased the 32gb PNY SDHC Pro-Elite Plus, compared to the card I did have in the K-3 it is over twice as fast as writing the raw files, this card is in slot 1. In the 2nd slot I have the original 45mbs (read) card, this is having the JPEG file written to it and it is not particularly fast, although when I get home this evening I should have the SanDisk (SDSDXPA-032G-FFP) 32gb card waiting for me.

I will work out which of the 2 (PNY or SanDisk) is faster at writing RAW and leave this in slot 1, slot 2 will hold the other for JPEGS.

The reason I went for the PNY in the first place is that comes with a 5 year warranty, not sure about the SanDisk..

It may be overkill having 2 fast write cards in the K-3 but even 1 has a very noticeable improvement on performance and is worth the cost.
I was noticing how long it took to clear the buffer using the PNY Elite Performance, which is supposed to be a fast card, when having the K-3 set to RAW+ writing to both cards (rather than sequentially). I just did some tests with different cards in various configurations and, in summary, you need at least Sandisk Extreme (45MBs) cards to not suffer from unnecessary delays.
Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MBs) don't gain you much when used in the K-3, just 1 second out of 36 seconds to clear the buffer in my test using a single card, whereas a PNY card took 45 seconds. The PNY cards I got don't seem to live up to their specification and I found the only way to use them is switching to RAW on a Sandisk Extreme for card 1 and JPG on PNY for card 2. If I used RAW+ going to two PNY cards, I was getting an average of 81 seconds to clear the buffer vs 60 seconds for two Sandisk Extreme Pro and 64 seconds for one Sandisk Extreme Pro + one Sandisk Extreme.

So I have learnt that it does take significantly longer writing each RAW image to both cards, about 60-70 percent longer than a single card, wasn't sure about that before. The best clearing time I could get writing to a single Sandisk Extreme Pro card was about 24 seconds for Raw only and 19 seconds for JPG only. Thats quite a difference to 60 seconds writing to 2 cards with RAW+.
I had hoped that HDR image processing could be faster with a faster card but there was only a 2 second difference between PNY and Sandisk.
Note that all these absolute timings can not be directly compared to anyone elses because the times can vary significantly depending on the image you are capturing. It has to be the same image for all tests.

John.
08-01-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've been using SanDisk Extreme Plus 32mb cards in my K3. They're rated at 80mb/s. Not near as expensive as the Pro cards but still very fast. 32mb hold approximately 1050 Raw shots in the K3.