Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Isn't the K-3 body magnesium alloy? That would be white.

07-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Isn't the K-3 body magnesium alloy? That would be white.
Initially, I thought it might be polycarbonate, but after taking a closer look, I think it is alloy. The break margin definitely looks like alloy. The dark material underneath, however...hmmmm.

Steve
07-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Isn't the K-3 body magnesium alloy?
It is indeed:

But of course there are bits of plastic trim outside the body.

I wish I could find a good shot of the SD card side of the camera without the plastic trim just to see what's there under the plastic.
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by himijendrix84 Quote
Thanks guys for your replies. I guess, provided the "cracking" will not continue I can live with that. I have some practical / logistics problems with doing the warranty claim". Unfortunately I dod not buy directly from Amazon (whose customer srvice is ususally WERY good & fast) but from a 3p seller on Amazon. Just hope this is not a first sign of this particular piece being a lemon.

cheers / HJ

PS: Sorry for confusing you with the 702 count. I chose a picture from second day of shooting, It waspicture number 702. Meaning it started NEW:

Contact the 3rd party, if they won't help you, contact Amazon directly. They monitor all correspondence (if placed thru Amazon) and expect their 3rd party sellers to give the same level of service they do. If the 3p won't do a thing to correct this, Amazon may offer a full or partial refund if you want to keep the camera.

Worth a shot!

07-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is indeed:
But of course there are bits of plastic trim outside the body.

I wish I could find a good shot of the SD card side of the camera without the plastic trim just to see what's there under the plastic.
On the K-7 (and I'd assume the K-5) that particular area is Mag'Alloy.
Seems to me that the camera has been swung into a hard surface and caused a compression fracture.
07-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My desire as well.

Steve
07-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #22

If returning it dosen't work out, do you have the piece that chipped off? If so can you epoxy it back in place?

07-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #23
Forum Member

Was it damaged in shipping? Did the box look intact or was there a dent or crumpling on one of the corners. Perhaps someone at the company where you bought it, dropped or bumped it before putting in the shipping box.
07-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markf Quote
Perhaps someone at the company where you bought it, dropped or bumped it before putting in the shipping box.
It may even have been a display item that was damaged while in that role. That is why I asked the OP to check for glue residue.

Steve