Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 av mode with minimum shutter speed

Hello,

Is there a way to shoot aperture priority with the K-3 and set the shutter speed to a minimum of (say) 1/80s so it doesn't go slower? I'm not talking about TAv where the shutter speed is locked at a specific speed, instead I want to prevent it to go too slow (even if it would be under exposed).

Also, in the same mode, is there a way to automatically fire the flash (P-TTL) IF and ONLY IF the shutter speed wants to go slower than (say) 1/80s to get proper exposure?

I hope this make sense.

Thank you!

07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

+1 on the ability to set limits on different modes. It is a good idea with a lot of merit. Either that, or allow users to configure and "tune" the algorithms for auto exposure for each mode.

Michael
07-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Nikon D700 does it.
07-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

No and No. Both are great ideas though and could be implemented in much the same way as the auto-ISO limits are handled.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-15-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
The Nikon D700 does it.
Good reason to buy the Nikon...or not...

Steve

---------- Post added 07-15-14 at 11:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
+1 on the ability to set limits on different modes. It is a good idea with a lot of merit. Either that, or allow users to configure and "tune" the algorithms for auto exposure for each mode.

Michael
This is yet another reason why it would be nice if Pentax were to support an API (at least on their flagship models) via the USB port to allow something similar to the Magic Lantern utility available to Canon users. Not that Canon has been particularly cooperative with the folk at Magic Lantern, however

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2014 at 11:13 AM.
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 on open APIs -- let developers enhance your products. Canon has a readily hackable API. Nikon is super secret about theirs. Pentax seems to be in-between

m
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Is there a way to shoot aperture priority with the K-3 and set the shutter speed to a minimum of (say) 1/80s so it doesn't go slower?
What's wrong with Manual mode?
07-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

plenty. If you are at a typical concert these days, the lighting often varies wildly, sometimes second to second. Manual exposure would be dreadful in such a situation.

M
07-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You can always imagine a scenario against using Manual mode. However, my question was directed to the OP (you'll notice I quoted him). We don't yet know the shooting conditions which prompted opening a thread. If we know more about that then we'll have a better chance of helping him with his question.
Personally I find M mode pretty fast, but that's only because I'm used to using it. So again, to the OP - what's wrong with M mode. Can you expand on this?
Cheers

07-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I don't have a K-3 but on my DSLR I'd just put the camera in auto-ISO and set the minimum shutter there while in aperture priority and get it done that way. Does that work on the K-3?
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Does that work on the K-3?
Nope. You are still shooting with a D800 and dF, right?

Steve
07-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, TAv?

But yeah, the k-3 won't let you set the minimum shutter speed as far as I can tell.
07-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
If you are at a typical concert these days, the lighting often varies wildly, sometimes second to second. Manual exposure would be dreadful in such a situation.
Tv or TAv. Let the auto-ISO handle the lighting. When you are shooting a concert, you are probably going to hold to a certain shutter speed anyhow, depending on your lens focal length, your distance from the stage, and the kind of gig it is (piano player shot wide with a 50mm = keep a slower shutter than rock vocalists shot close at 200mm). And at gigs you are usually going to hold your lens at a pretty constant wide-open or near to it aperture too (eg f2.8-f4). So at a gig neither shutter or aperture will usually need to operate across a terribly wide range.

Does that work on the K-3?
TAv with Auto-ISO does, close enough, IMHO.

One can also switch to P mode and tune the Program Line response to suit your shooting needs, of course (High Speed priority, DOF priority, MTF priority etc). Or use the Green Button to quickly adjust same while in TAv or other modes.

A shutter speed floor limit for auto-ISO and other modes would be nice, I guess. I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for Ricoh to implement. Maybe Nikon, however, patented it or something?
07-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope. You are still shooting with a D800 and dF, right?

Steve
I see. I use that feature a lot! When you don't have in-camera stabilization and not using a lens with VR, setting minimum shutter speed is a must.
07-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

When you don't have in-camera stabilization and not using a lens with VR, setting minimum shutter speed is a must.
Yep! Of course back-in-the-day the better cameras showed the shutter speed in the viewfinder when using Av mode and we simply got used to monitoring the reading as we shot. The Canon shooters simply used Tv mode and depended on fast glass.

Steve
07-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
TAv with Auto-ISO does
You can't specifically select Auto-ISO with TAv, since TAv already does Auto-ISO. You can select Auto-ISO with M though.

Are you aware of any operational differences between TAv and M+Auto-ISO? I've not noticed any.

Dan.